Guru80
Colonel

Ok, stupid question but really need to figure this out

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:36 pm

How do you open the now saved CVS file? With Open Office Calc I am afraid to close the xls file I am working on (guess I could save it as an xls file as well under a different name :bonk: ) because when I open the CVS File and edit and save it again it becomes half its size in kilobytes and when I import it to make the script.ini file it is also all mess up and I get a million errors about not being able to find things like startevent, and ever other command.

Does this make any sense?? I have done it 3 times just to prove to myself it is really happening. I CANNOT open a CVS file (for example ScenBentonvill.cvs) and edit it directly because if I do it seem to screw the entire thing up and I have to go back into the xls file and redo all the work I already did because my dumbass didn't think to save an XLS file as well. Or am I just a little..... :tournepas ....and doing something wrong?

McNaughton

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Guru80 wrote:How do you open the now saved CVS file? With Open Office Calc I am afraid to close the xls file I am working on (guess I could save it as an xls file as well under a different name :bonk: ) because when I open the CVS File and edit and save it again it becomes half its size in kilobytes and when I import it to make the script.ini file it is also all mess up and I get a million errors about not being able to find things like startevent, and ever other command.

Does this make any sense?? I have done it 3 times just to prove to myself it is really happening. I CANNOT open a CVS file (for example ScenBentonvill.cvs) and edit it directly because if I do it seem to screw the entire thing up and I have to go back into the xls file and redo all the work I already did because my dumbass didn't think to save an XLS file as well. Or am I just a little..... :tournepas ....and doing something wrong?

Well, what I do is edit the XLS, save the XLS, then convert to CSV. That way you have your XLS file updated, and the CSV file as well.

You can edit the CSV file, but it isn't as neat and easy as the XLS. I recommend that next time you do all of your work on an XLS file, then only convert it when you are ready to test.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:08 pm

McNaughton wrote:Well, what I do is edit the XLS, save the XLS, then convert to CSV. That way you have your XLS file updated, and the CSV file as well.

You can edit the CSV file, but it isn't as neat and easy as the XLS. I recommend that next time you do all of your work on an XLS file, then only convert it when you are ready to test.

I do the same thing. Make it a habit to save in XLS first. Then save in CVS.

I still forget from time to time. Recently I moved my 39 database to the 40 database cutting and pasting bits and pieces from my modded 39 database. Doublechecking to see if there were any real format differences between the two databases. Took awhile. Then I saved in CVS-without saving first in XLS!!!!!!!!! Agggghhhh!!!! What a waste of time.

Turns out that 39 and 40 are basically the same in format except names on a few units. I think I can copy everything from 39 except names and just paste it in as one great big block. Although I still haven't redone the work.

Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:22 pm

Yeah that is what I have done since it hit me as I was writing the above post. Makes life so much easier :)

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”