Guru80
Colonel

Help with units for my scenario

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:14 am

I thought I had figured it out but I guess I was wrong :p leure:

I am forming the CSA Army for my Bentonville scenario. I am trying to figure out how I can do this correctly:

Lee's Corps - MG D.H. Hill (no problem here)
Stevenson's Division - MG Carter L. Stevenson (again, no problem here)
****Palmer's Brigade - BG James P Palmer (how do I add this in? This brigade)
*******Tennessee Consolidated, 58th North Carolina, 60th North Carolina
*******54th Virginia, 63rd Virginia

Do I need to create a Brigade in the units file for it to work like that? Or can I use already available units to make it work? I guess I am just not understanding how to "code" it in correctly to make it show up how I need it to.

Please help! This is all I have left (well and all the other divisions and brigades) and it is done!

McNaughton

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:13 pm

So, do you need help in the scenario file, or the units file?

It really depends on what you want to do. You can take an original brigade from the game and apply it (i.e., uni_CSA_Bde2TN) into the scenario file, and then apply the specified units (be aware that in the original game, very few brigades have more than 2-3 regiments, so you must group regiments together, which probably shouldn't be a problem for the Bentonville scenario when a brigade really wasn't a true brigade anymore).

However, if your problem is applying a leader to the division and the brigade, then you cannot do it. A unit can only have one commander, a divisional or brigade commander, not both. So, you have to choose if the brigade will be in a division under the command of Stevenson, or a brigade under Palmer (not both).

I am still not quite sure of your problem...

Best I can do is to cut and paste what is in the Scenario XLS file I have for my mod... Be aware that the units are different sized, and therefore can fit in more actual regiments.

USA 4th Division Group LAND NULL NULL 0 $Prince George's, MD 0 0
USA Theodore Runyon StartUnit|3|uni_USA_Runyon NULL NULL 4th Division NULL NULL NULL NULL
USA Johnson's Bde. uni_USA_VolBMBde NULL NULL Col. A.J.Johnson 1st New Jersey Mil.|2nd New Jersey Mil.|3rd New Jersey Mil.|4th New Jersey Mil. NULL NULL NULL
USA Montgomery's Bde. EndUnit|uni_USA_BdeBM12NJ 4 NULL Col. Montgomery 1st New Jersey|2nd New Jersey|3rd New Jersey|4th New Jersey NULL NULL NULL

Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks agin McNaughton. My problem was coming from trying to figure out how to set the structure like it was listed. For example I was trying to make Stevenson's Division and then add Palmer and his brigade. So I was trying to figure out how to add both Stevenson and Palmer which isn't possible (That problem is solved, thanks!).

Also, I was trying to find a Brigade that had the number of listed elements in it but there doesn't seem to be any (not worried about historical manpower numbers just yet). I was wondering if I would have to make a brigade myself in the units file that contains the number of elements I require of if I can combine a couple of units that already exist without altering the Units file. Hard to explain what I mean, sorry! For example, say there is a unit that has 3 elements and one that has 2 elements - can I combine these in the scenario file with something like uni_USA_someunit|uni_USA_anotherunit . Would that allow me to reach the required 5 elements I am looking for?

I am doing some trial and error right now so I can get this scenario out. Hit that snag I was worried about :siffle:

Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Looks like i have figured out most everything and should have it posted today sometime for everyone to take a look at.

Thanks!

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”