Stonewall

Creating Your Own Scenario

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:06 am

Need some help figuring this out. I've been toying with the csv splitter and have been able to extract the script.ini out of the April 1861 scenario setup file. I have no idea what to do with this script or how to turn it into a scenario file.

I am trying to get rid of all starting units in the April scenario to make a "clean" scenario to test my weather without worrying about the game ending due to objectives being taken by the few units that start in the game.

IIRC, there was a thread where this was explained, but after an hour of searching, I can't find it.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 am

Easiest way is to open up the scenario xls in the ACW database. You can remove all units very quickly in spreadsheet format. Rename scenario and save as CVS. Then run through CVS splitter and you are good to go.

Stonewall

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:04 am

I've tried that and when I run the csv splitter, all I get is a script.ini file. I have no idea what to do with that. I don't get a .scn file which is the scenario file I have to select from within the game.

I remember a thread a while back where Primasprit went through detailed instructions on this and I can't find it. I've read every thread in this modding forum since the release of the game and its not here. :(

Lafrite

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:59 am

Pocus

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:10 am

1. Put this script.ini file in the scripts directory of the game.

2. Launch the game

3. As soon as you see the splash screen with the 4 strings at each corner, hit F9, you switch to Editor Mode.

4. Wait. If there are no errors, the map appears.

5. Save as if you save a turn, a .scn will be generated. You can fiddle a bit in this mode, but the ledger will crash I think, also some detection etc. values are not properly calculated.

Notes:
a) If you modify events or the cities tabs in the XLS file, you must export them too. Event file (sct extension goes to the events directory). Cities file (.inc as include) goes into the includes directory and must be renamed as the filename specified in the setup tab of the scenarios, where includes are listed to be read.

b) the events will only triggers if the event file has the exact same name as the scenario file. ie myscen.scn uses myscen.sct.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Stonewall

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:50 pm

Nope. I found that one. Primasprit had methodically and with screenshots laid out a method to create a scenario to increase the size of a city in the game. I finally found it. It was stickied at the top of this forum. :D Just goes to show that nobody ever reads the stickies. :bonk:

Stonewall

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Pocus wrote:1. Put this script.ini file in the scripts directory of the game.

2. Launch the game

3. As soon as you see the splash screen with the 4 strings at each corner, hit F9, you switch to Editor Mode.

4. Wait. If there are no errors, the map appears.

5. Save as if you save a turn, a .scn will be generated. You can fiddle a bit in this mode, but the ledger will crash I think, also some detection etc. values are not properly calculated.

Notes:
a) If you modify events or the cities tabs in the XLS file, you must export them too. Event file (sct extension goes to the events directory). Cities file (.inc as include) goes into the includes directory and must be renamed as the filename specified in the setup tab of the scenarios, where includes are listed to be read.

b) the events will only triggers if the event file has the exact same name as the scenario file. ie myscen.scn uses myscen.sct.

Thanks.

So the game will automatically recognize the script.ini file? How do I make the game recognize that script.ini file as opposed to a different one that is already present in the scripts directory? Can that file be renamed?

I'll fiddle with it. Maybe my questions will be moot by then. ;)

Primasprit

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Stonewall wrote:Thanks.

So the game will automatically recognize the script.ini file? How do I make the game recognize that script.ini file as opposed to a different one that is already present in the scripts directory? Can that file be renamed?

I'll fiddle with it. Maybe my questions will be moot by then. ;)

The game looks only for the the file with the exact filename 'script.ini'.
Simply overwrite the file if there is already one in the directory. The script.ini is needed only once to compile the scenario. After the new scenario is saved the script.ini becomes obsolete and can be deleted.

Cheers
Norbert

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”