Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Creating new VP locations

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:51 am

I would like to create a new VP location during mid-game. I would like for the VP location to exist for 12 months and then no longer exist as a VP location. If this VP location is captured by one side, they receive a one time X amount of VP points and immediately the location is no longer considered a VP location. If the other side, holds the VP location for the entire 12 months, they will receive X amount of VP points and again the location converts to a non-VP location.

Is it possible to create this type of VP location?

The mod manual doesn't really cover the creation of VP locations in any sort of depth.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 am

I wanted to bump this question as I think it is important in modding to know how to strech VP rules in creating unique player situations.

From what I can see, there are only two types of VP's. VP assigned to units, gained upon loss. And VP's which are permanently assigned to terrain and gained through ownership. Is there away to create temporararily available VP's through events with special conditions?

PhilThib

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:40 am

Yes, the event script engine allows that. This is done for example when the Sam Houston event triggers (Dallas becomes a VP city for 5 turns) or in the Great Sioux Uprising event (VP loss for not controlling Great Plains)

Pocus

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:29 am

The only perceived incentive for the AI is the VPs assigned to terrain, gained every turn, but you can also add an event which give you a one shot gain, this won't just be seen by the AI (although with the first case you will force her to consider seriously the region).

To set a regional VP, use the command SetVP = 1

To change the VP total of a given faction, use ChgVPCount = Amount

You can also take a look at the Sam Houston event, which set an objective temporarly.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Primasprit

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:51 am

Jagger wrote:I would like to create a new VP location during mid-game. I would like for the VP location to exist for 12 months and then no longer exist as a VP location. If this VP location is captured by one side, they receive a one time X amount of VP points and immediately the location is no longer considered a VP location. If the other side, holds the VP location for the entire 12 months, they will receive X amount of VP points and again the location converts to a non-VP location.

Is it possible to create this type of VP location?

The mod manual doesn't really cover the creation of VP locations in any sort of depth.

You can do that by events:
I would like for the VP location to exist for 12 months
In the event condition block:
MaxDate = YYYY/MM/DD
MinDate = YYYY/MM/DD

If this VP location is captured by one side,
There is an event condition which evaluates who is the owner of a region.
EvalRgnOwned = RegionUID
This checks if the region is owned by the selected faction.
To select a faction:
SelectFaction = FactionUID

receive a one time X amount of VP points
In the action block:
ChangeVPCount = VPCount (Changes the Victory Points by 'VPCount')
(alternate syntax ChgVPCount supported too)

longer considered a VP location
Allow the event only to trigger once.
I think you have to create two events, one for the USA one for the CSA. So after one event fired you have to 'turn off' the other one.
Most easy done by:
ChangeEvtOccurs = EventName; MaxOccurs; -999
This allows the event 'EventName' to occur -999 times = never
If the other side, holds the VP location for the entire 12 months
Event for the other side: Again with MinDate and MaxDate, EvalRgnOwned, ChangeVPCount. But you have to allow that this event can trigger several times. This is done with the StartEvent Keyword.

Hope this helps a bit.
If something is not clear, just ask again. :)

Cheers
Norbert

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Excellent! Thanks for all the information. I will see if I can set this event up this week.

lpremus
Corporal

Dakota Wars of 1862

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:27 am

PhilThib wrote:Yes, the event script engine allows that. This is done for example when the Sam Houston event triggers (Dallas becomes a VP city for 5 turns) or in the Great Sioux Uprising event (VP loss for not controlling Great Plains)

this is probably debatable but would one consider Dakota Wars of 1862 part of the ACW???

Also Why isn't Minnesota in the game, like that of Boston at least? To me this makes more sense then Denver, and that the Dakota Wars of 1862 happened more on Minnesota homestead lands. Just wonder for game design.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”