Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mod PBEM compatibility

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm

I have created a mod of the 1775-1783 scenario with new leaders and units. In a PBEM testing the mod, the first couple of turns worked fine. Then a crash. The log show an index out of range of 393 vs 375. This seems to be a reflection of my new total unit/leader unit count of 393 vs the original BOA with a unit count of 375. Also the crash occured upon the first incident of a brand new leader showing in the game.

So I assumed my opponent needed the new modded files on his computer. I sent the new unit/model files, alias files, string files and event files. My opponent installed them on a separate version of BOA. Yet we are still crashing.

He has an earlier version of BOA...I think 1.11b.

Originally I had assumed that only one player needed the mod in a PBEM if the turns are resolved on the computer with the mod. Apparantly that is incorrect. But my opponent has the mod on his version of BOA and we are still getting the unit count error of 393 vs 375.

Should there be any difficulties in a PBEM game between 2 players when one has version 1.11b and the other has 1.12 in a PBEM? And should there be a unit count error is both sides have the new models/units?

Pocus

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 pm

yes both side must have the exact same copy, for example if he needs to manipulate the new unit, he will crash if he has not the description of it.

He should not crash if he installed correctly the units, perhaps he did a mistake? Anyway, it is wiser that he updates to 1.12a his game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Could another problem also exist with the PBEM exchange? We are trying to continue the PBEM at the point of the crash. I am wondering if the PBEM has the unit count locked from the beginning of the game and we may need to restart.

Pocus

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:52 am

no, this is a data only stored in the database, you should be able to continue the game when he is up to date.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”