Jagger2013
General of the Army

Reducing impact of combat unit losses on national morale?

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:04 pm

I have been testing my Polish mod and discovered that combat subunit losses are having an outsized impact on National Morale. So I would like to reduce the change in NM from combat subunit losses.

What factors are used to determine the impact on NM when a unit is lost? VPs? Is there a formula out there with the various factors? All I have found on the wiki is this but it isn't much to work with:

The winning side gains NM according to the losses inflicted on the opposing force. The losing side loses NM equal to the losses suffered in combat.

I looked for a universal factor in the settings files but wasn't able to find one. So is there a universal factor that will adjust NM changes related to combat subunit losses?

Pocus

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 am

I don't think there is one for now. This is purely tied to VP worth.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks, Pocus, I will reduce model VP values.

In this scenario, the Poles/Whites dominate for about a 2 month timeframe and can inflict substantial Red subunit losses. VPs for model subunits generally vary between 3-5 VPs. This type of situation produced about a 60NM difference between the sides in about a 7 turn timeframe. Basically the Reds have gone into such an early NM hole that I doubt they can recover even with arrival of substantial reinforcements. Yet the large subunit losses are more a reflection of initial weakness of the Red forces and the total numbers of units involved in combat rather than a truly significant degradation of the Red Force. And historically, this timeframe was more of a Pearl Harbor type situation which produced a united and determined Russia rather than a pessimistic Russia which is not reflected by the low NM produced in the scenario.

In this particular scenario, it appears modding model VPs is the best solution and really shouldn't have any negative side effects.

Just for future reference for scenario modders/designers, if you have one side dominant for a sustained timeframe and large VP values for models, NM can get out of control quickly if the stronger side is able to destroy enough subunits early. In addition, scenario objective values can also have an impact on NM. I have had to reduce both in this scenario.

Also maybe for the future modding wishlist, a universal factor for adjusting NM could be pretty useful vs adjusting model vp values/scenario objectives.

Thanks again!

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”