Armchair General
Conscript

Modding Question: WIA Yamasee War

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 am

Hello all,

I have been working on creating a scenario for the Yamasee War 1715-1718 in WIA. I am using King William's War Scenario as a base. I have added in all the native American villages (Creek, Cherokee, Catawab, Choctaw, Chickisaw and other small tribes in the historical locations) and the French, Spanish, and English cities and settlements from Mobile to NYC. I have added in most of the military and colonist groups. One thing I am trying to do is reduce the unit sizes from battalions to company size. King William's war starts with the company sizes, but--upon reviewing the startup for the French and Indian War scenario--I can't seem to see the differences between the two scripts. Does anyone have a give on reducing the unit sizes from battalions to companies?

After I get this done, I'm going to try to convert some of the events from the King William's war scenario and Pontiac's War to meet the historical and potential ahistorical outcomes of certain tactical decisions. For example, 1) the raising of forces from King Williams War (for the raising of troops for Charlestown), 2) the humiliation of the tribal chiefs in the Piquot war (to represent the humiliation and eventual shift of the Catawabs after the defeat at the ponds) and 3) the shifting loyalties of the Iroquois from the F&I War after the capture of Albany (for the shifting of the Cherokees to Carolina after the defeat of the Yamasees in mid 1715). Does anyone have an event scripting guide to help me out with this?

I am primarily doing this for my own fun, however, I would be willing to share the work if someone has interest in the final product.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:19 am

Does anyone have a give on reducing the unit sizes from battalions to companies?
You would have to look at the models database. If models based on companies are available, you can use them. If not, you would need to create new models and corresponding units.

Does anyone have an event scripting guide to help me out with this?

I am unaware of an event scripting guide. If there is one, I would like to read it.

I have found looking at existing events in the setup events and events database to be very helpful. If you can find other events similiar to what you want to achieve, you can use the existing event as a template and make changes to achieve what you need. If you can't find a similiar event, you can dig into the script commands. There are a lot of them. So it isn't always easy to determine what you need to create your event but sometimes doable. Here is a link to the scripting commands. I don't know if it is comprehensive or not.

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/index.php?title=Category:Script_commands&until=RemMapAlea

Armchair General
Conscript

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 am

Jagger2013 wrote:You would have to look at the models database. If models based on companies are available, you can use them. If not, you would need to create new models and corresponding units.

I am unaware of an event scripting guide. If there is one, I would like to read it.

I have found looking at existing events in the setup events and events database to be very helpful. If you can find other events similiar to what you want to achieve, you can use the existing event as a template and make changes to achieve what you need. If you can't find a similiar event, you can dig into the script commands. There are a lot of them. So it isn't always easy to determine what you need to create your event but sometimes doable. Here is a link to the scripting commands. I don't know if it is comprehensive or not.

Thank you...I will look through those and if not possible do a cut and paste job to design new ones.

I'll follow your advice on the events...it would be good if AGEOD made modding easier. They would make more money by making games more accessible...nonetheless I generally like the tactical level of their games.

Armchair General
Conscript

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Jagger2013 wrote:You would have to look at the models database. If models based on companies are available, you can use them. If not, you would need to create new models and corresponding units.

Do you know the difference between the model DB and Unit DB? What are they used for? Can I just use the model DB to make the new models?

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 pm

The model Database gives the characteristics of the basic subunit. The unit database defines formations and what subunits each formation contains. So if you make a new model, it won't appear in the game until it is integrated into specific unit formations. So you can make new models but if you want them in the game, you need to put them into units within the unit database.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:18 am

Found this in the AACW wiki. It is good guide for event scripting.

http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Modding_events

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”