Leibst

Modding Abilities

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:35 am

The abilities file is imo one of the hardest to understand of all Ageod files.
There are meny fields that lacks a descriptive name so we have to guess what they do.
For a first approach it will be enough to take a look and understand some of the things we can see.

Lets open the AACW file AACW_DB_Ability_list_ver116b-rc1, the abilities file of AACW. You can get it here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?5358-Official-Files-for-modding

We will center our attention in the second ability $abi_nam_Cavalryman, just to begin to be familiar with this file.

Here is an image with all the fields of this ability.

[ATTACH]27217[/ATTACH]

In this first study we will take a look at these fields:
- name (it must start with a $ sign)
- alias (this is needed in the alias folder, ther you have all the abilities aliases in one file called abi_Alias).
- Kind. This describes what kind of ability is.
- Text (selfexplaining)
- Design Text '25% combat bonus for all cavalry units in the stack, if in clear, prairie or desert terrain.'
- ImageID (abi_cavalry.png), this is the image that you can see on the Leaders or units with this ability.
- Color (the color of the abi_cavalry.png background)
- Appliance (this ability applies to a group)
- Param0, Param1, Param6. All of the with a 125. See that this ability gives is a 25% bonus. So if you want to have a 30% just change 125 for 130.
- ListParams0 ($Clear|$Prairie|$Desert) this field is to declare the type of regions where this ability applies.
- ListParams1 ($Cavalry) this is to declare waht type of unit benefits of this ability.

With this said, take a look at the entire file and you will start to understand how abilities are defined.

I know i haven't talked about other fields like Family, Level, ProgRate etc... but this is jus a first approach.

Enough to see how complex and detailed are the guts of Ageod games right? :cool:
Attachments
Abilities1.JPG
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Aktivist
Private

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Thank you so far for your reply. Still, as the database cannot be downloaded I need to work with the txt.files and the editor. Painful, but the only solution. And the first lines in the ability-files (e.g. 1cavalryman.abi) are understandable. Problem are such fields like Family or ProgRate. Furthermore, how does the parser pick the right parameters when all the files are compiled? Example: Cavalryman Param0 = 125 - okay, I understand this field is explained down at the bottom with clear, prairie and desert - will probably mean movement bonus
Param1 = 125 - explained as cavalry, probably general battle bonus

Now another example - defensive engineer
Param1 = 110 - no explanation in the abi-file. Knowing the game i don't believe, that this is a battle bonus. It's increased entrenchment speed, but it's still named Param1.

I am confused.

Hasta la vista, dear Leib!

Bohémond

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Lodi has made tremendous work to clarify and explain how abilty DB works ;

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Category:Ability_Categories

Most of the abilty categories are here.

If you do not find what you look for or need somethaing else, I will gladly try to answer.

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

Leibst

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Great work Lodi. I should review the wiki with more frecuency.
thanks Bohemond.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Stonewall

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 am

Aktivist wrote:Thank you so far for your reply. Still, as the database cannot be downloaded I need to work with the txt.files and the editor. Painful, but the only solution. And the first lines in the ability-files (e.g. 1cavalryman.abi) are understandable. Problem are such fields like Family or ProgRate. Furthermore, how does the parser pick the right parameters when all the files are compiled? Example: Cavalryman Param0 = 125 - okay, I understand this field is explained down at the bottom with clear, prairie and desert - will probably mean movement bonus
Param1 = 125 - explained as cavalry, probably general battle bonus

Now another example - defensive engineer
Param1 = 110 - no explanation in the abi-file. Knowing the game i don't believe, that this is a battle bonus. It's increased entrenchment speed, but it's still named Param1.

I am confused.

Hasta la vista, dear Leib!

Param0 is the offensive fire bonus/malus and Param1 is the defensive fire bonus/malus. Defensive engineer gets a 10% fine bonus. Cavalry gets a 25% bonus in both phases. There is another parameter later that you can restrict the bonus to certain unit types. Pocus posted a CSV of what each parameter means for each ability type.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”