marek1978
Colonel

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:37 am

How is the whole thing developing? What kind of help would be needed?

PhilThib

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Check mostly the map names, to see if they are correct. Also if some minor rivers are missing

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:47 pm

So Phil, do you have any more on the new map, how it might look ?

PhilThib

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:15 pm

I am stuck for lack of help on the minor river issue...once I get this, I can finalize it

Kensai

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Which regions are in most need of help? Especially regarding rivers.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

PhilThib

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 am

All of them ;)

I mean the major rivers are already in, but we may add a few extra "minor" rivers here and there, as the number of regions almost doubled and their cut was made mostly along the sides of existing rivers (but the guy making the cut did not mention them)...

Kensai

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:53 am

Carnium wrote:PhilThib: May I get a good screenshot (=here or on my e-mail) of the regions in Austria, Eastern Italy and the Balkans? Some regions may have a strange cut.

I can do the same for Greece, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. If the whole map is not possible, just mail me chunks or screenshots of said areas to have an understanding of the scale. And of course instructions if you need something more technical such as pinpointing pixels as the rivers flow...
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

PhilThib

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 am

See posts #103 and #132, you'll get everything there

BigDuke66
General

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:14 pm

My two cents to it:
I wonder about Grossberen(North of Dresden), could someone have mixed it up with "Grossbeeren" the village close to Berlin were a battle was fought?
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Großbeeren[/url]
Maybe Großenhain was meant.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Franciscus

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 am

PhilThib wrote:All of them ;)

I mean the major rivers are already in, but we may add a few extra "minor" rivers here and there, as the number of regions almost doubled and their cut was made mostly along the sides of existing rivers (but the guy making the cut did not mention them)...

Regarding Portugal, in the "other" European map you sent me some days ago by mail, 3 important minor rivers are represented, the Minho, Mondego and Guadiana:

Image[/URL

In the map of this thread they could be placed thus: (in fact if you look closely you can discern where they were in the map) - although I am not certain of the Guadiana and Minho traject in Spanish regions:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/kbwr.jpg/]Image

(PS: there is some lack in consistency between current portuguese names (like Cabo Mondego), "archaic" portuguese (Bahia de Setubal is 19th century, current name should be Baía de Setúbal) and english names (Tago Estuary, should be Estuário do Tejo). Maybe some corrections or consistency ?)

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 am

PhilThib wrote:All of them ;)

Regarding Portugal, in the "other" European map you sent me some days ago by mail, 3 important minor rivers are represented, the Minho, Mondego and Guadiana:

Image[/URL

In the map of this thread they could be placed thus: (in fact if you look closely you can discern where they were in the map) - although I am not certain of the Guadiana and Minho traject in Spanish regions:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/kbwr.jpg/]Image

(PS: there is some lack in consistency between current portuguese names (like Cabo Mondego), "archaic" portuguese (Bahia de Setubal is 19th century, current name should be Baía de Setúbal) and english names (Tago Estuary, should be Estuário do Tejo). Maybe some corrections or consistency ?)

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kensai

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 pm

This is a first draft for Greece. I still have to understand what goes where exactly on the AGEOD map and update the Excel file as well. Is this how you want it done, Philippe?

My source for Greece's main rivers as of today. Some of them (Evros, Nestos, Strymon) are well-known natural defensive lines of modern Greece (against Turkey at least). Evros is the natural border with Turkey, where Ardas meets the border.

Großdeutschland Mod

PhilThib

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 am

The first sketch is enough for me. For the rivers, just make sure they run along the current region cuts, as you did (mostly) and that will be fine. Also you need to include the name (as far as possible in local wording, but using European alphabet, not Greek)

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Dear Phil, sorry I can help with the map thing, but regarding the projects you may have based on the map (ie European wars between 1600 and 1880 I suppose), I justed wanted to point to a few things that would really add to the game experience :
- Make the role of cities and fortresses controling rivers and passes more important : ie, control of the city of Maastricht on the right side of the Meuse should enable an army to cross this major river only with minor river penalty, even if he doesn't control the province itself, because the city controls the brigdes. Have some cities and fortresses downgrade the penalty from major to minor river, or from minor to nil. Same for passes. This would make control of fortresses, cities and bridges, so central in 17th, 18th century and napoleonic warfare a central part of games to come.
- Make sure friction for movement is properly enable. With the size of the provinces, a player shouldn't be able to move big stacks without considerable loss of time due to friction, forcing him to either have a big army moving slowly (18th century style) or having smaller sized forces, ie napoleonic corps, moving parallel to each other before concentrating again for the big battle. This is an essential feature to make the use of corps in a Napoleonic game worthwile. Friction (ie calculated by elements number / Quality of infrastructure and terrain of the province) is a key element : a 100 000 men army should be slow, even in Belgium or southern germany if it moves together, if it is divided in 3/4 corps moving parallel through different provinces, it should go much faster.

Just 2 cents.
Veji1

PhilThib

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Your points are valid but are more engine than map issues

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 pm

PhilThib wrote:Your points are valid but are more engine than map issues

Of course. I meant this as in these are engine aspects that are key to a proper taking into account of the map and have an influence in map making : If you know that cities and fortresses will play a key role in river crossings, then you research key bridge/Cities to be placed on the map.

Kensai

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Updated Greece.

Italy. I was quite puzzled regarding Sardinia. Essentially, if I follow the modern map completely, all of Sardinia's regions should be separated by rivers.

And the source I used to create the map. I think I have created one more river in the Po valley (the one going up to Milan), but it could be considered the Navigli. ;)

Großdeutschland Mod

PhilThib

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks. Keep in mind when drawing rivers that they should have some 'significant' impact on military operations (movement slow down, defensive line, ferry)...if there was nothing of real importance (like a too shallow river for instance), then we should avoid them... for instance, we usually don't draw rivers up to their springs, because the up river sections are usually no more than little streams with no impact on military matters...for example, those Italian rivers in the north should not extend into the Alps, as they are not really obstacles at that point :cool:

Kensai

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Sure sure, you are totally right. These source maps are actually showing major rivers, but I don't really know how much upstream are considered difficult to cross. For example, the Danube is a huge river in Hungary, but here in the Black Forest I live it is something really silly.

A general comment: we are lucky in a certain aspect, if you think about it, most provinces on the map have borders according to historical borders because of geographical constraints. It is rather unusual to have borders à la Midwest USA, where the colonists arbitrarily set the boundaries in the age of cartography. So indeed, I do not think we should overdo it with these rivers, unless it is a well-known major one, relatively far from its springs.
Großdeutschland Mod

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 pm

It would be great to know where this is going. I must say I wasn't seduced into buying CW2 (lacked some of the taste and charm AACW had without being new enough to me) but I am really dying for a quality european modern era wargame. If based on a nice map you could do a good Napoleonic era wargame, it would be so great...

PhilThib

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:22 am

Progressing now. Still looking for more minor rivers info though

history_buff3737
Conscript

Mon May 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi PhilThib,

Firstly, thank you for all of your work! Your map looks great.

Could you please share the latest version? The "ageoddl.telechargement.fr...." link no longer works and I'd like to take a look at it to see if I can be of assistance with minor rivers in some of the regions of Europe. At the very least, it'd be a great reference map to consult when reading about, say, the campaigns of Napoleon.

Many thanks in advance!

Andre

PhilThib

Tue May 05, 2015 7:28 am

The map has been used for Napoleon and will be soon visible. I'll check where I can upload it again, as the old download FTP is down

history_buff3737
Conscript

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi Philippe,

Thanks! Any luck with uploading the map? I have some free time this month and I can do some research on missing minor rivers.

All the best!

Andre

Lafrite

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:26 pm

PhilThib wrote:The map has been used for Napoleon and will be soon visible. I'll check where I can upload it again, as the old download FTP is down

There is a french service https://hubic.com/home/ with 25go free

history_buff3737
Conscript

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi Phillipe,

Happy New Year! I'd still love to contribute by doing some research on minor rivers, especially in Eastern Europe. Will you be uploading the latest version of the map? My interest in this project is that for me, first and foremost, it'll be a great reference, a sort of easily accessible military atlas if you will, for better understanding of books, board games, documentaries, articles etc. - your research on the smaller regions and the corresponding terrain is excellent.

My interests are Napoleonic Wars, Easter European military history and the Middle Ages: that's why I am well aware of the impact of major and minor rivers in military campaigns and it'd be great to have access to a map like this (especially once the minor rivers are added in).

Either way, all the best to you in 2016!

Andre

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”