squarian
Brigadier General

How are new units named?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm working on a list of additional regiment titles for ROP, so that when I buy a new Austrian German infantry battalion it doesn't show up on the map as "1. German Infantry" or similiar generic name.

Two questions:

1. Where in the DB does one find the list of names for new units?

2. Are destroyed unit's names recycled by the engine? e.g. Say 1/Daun inf is destroyed completely in combat - will that name and designation "1/Daun" be used again for a new-built inf unit?

PhilThib

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:23 am

1 - Individual Bn names (ex: 1/Daune) are found in the Models XLS DB, under the CustomNames column. Each entry is separated by a | symbol

2 - Units names are in the Units XLS DB, in the CustomNames column too.

When a new unit is built, the engine checks the custom names and compared with those on map. It will assign automatically an available name from the DB to the new construction (so no duplicates - unless errors are made in the setup files of course)

Hope this helps
:cool:

squarian
Brigadier General

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 pm

PhilThib wrote:an available name

Just to be clear, names are "available" if no unit on the map is using that name, so a name might be recycled if the original unit is destroyed (no longer on the map) - correct?

Pocus

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 pm

and if the name was in the DB

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Lord Irvine
Conscript

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for the information, its very interesting to know.

I notice that in the 1756-63 Campaign, as Prussia, the first Musketeer Btn you create is I/Forcade de Biaix IR23. Which is the first available name in the RoP_DB_Units file. Curiously this name is available in the DB because in the set-up files this Btn is named I/Forcade de Biaix IR6 in error (I think there is a separate thread on this).

Anyway, looking at the DB files, Prussia will create new units (for Fusiliers) starting with I Btn for IR50 & 51, then, II Btn for IR50 & 51, and then will create III Btn's starting at IR34 through to IR51. This is all assuming that no starting Fusilier Btn units have been destroyed. :neener:

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”