rezaf
Private

Is there no event condition for region control?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:45 pm

There's one thing that has always bugged me about all the AGE games: the scenarios have no proper ending!
I just chatted with someone from the Paradox boards and he told me RoP (of which I have only played the demo so far) is no different.

Sure, I can fulfill all victory conditions listed on the objectives screen, but if I do, nothing at all happens. I wonder why this never bugged anyone, seems like a glaring design oversight that appears to be SO easy to fix.
In fact, so easy I was going to try it myself.

What I want to happen is that, should I manage to fulfill both the objectives and strategic towns condition at any point, the game would present me with a "congratulations, you won!" screen and present me with two choices, continue playing or quit. Pretty simple, really.

I think it'd be great if there was an actual post-game-analysis, presenting you with the dates of important conquests and battles, your total number of troops built and lost, number of enemy losses inflicted, five most successful officers ... stuff like that, but I guess things like that are impossible to mod without major changes on AGEOD's side and appearently they don't care one bit about such things - fair enough.

But the simple game-over screen should be possible to implement, or so I thought. First things I looked at was this forum and the Wiki.
I found this wiki entry about modding events, but the listed event triggers don't contain a trigger checking for control of a province.
Is there really no such trigger? (and if that's the case, couldn't one be implemented?)

Thanks very much in advance.
_____
rezaf

Hobbes

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm

As far as I can remember through all the AGEOD games - the game will continue even if you have captured all the objectives unless the sudden death indicator has been set for a particular scenario. In Pontiac's War for example this is set so the scenario will end should you take all objectives.

For AACW I think the game will not automatically end in order to give the losing player a chance to regain some of the objectives lost - but AACW will end if one side's morale reaches a certain level (which should happen fairly quickly after all objectives are lost - if not before).

Cheers, Chris

PhilThib

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:31 pm

We voluntarily disabled Sudden Death conditions in ROP :D

They could be added, but we have yet to see a common agreement on what they should be...debate among the beta team was contradictory and intense, hence the decision... for the time being.

We shall re-study the question and make some proposals :cool:

rezaf
Private

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Well, thanks for your replies.
None of you did answer my ACTUAL question about the region control condition, though.
I know about sudden death, I actually own WIA, AACW an NCP, played them a lot and even made some personal mods.

I wonder what could cause a heated dabate about an OPTIONAL sudden death mode, though. Just offering inst-death and a few delayed-deaths (need to keep the conditions fulfilled for x turns before the game ends), but disabling the feature per default should give players options if they desire to use them without hurting the players that don't.

I still think all AGEOD games should have a proper ending screen, and if it's only a victory screen that does nothing but congratulate the player, maybe in a few flavors (better than historical, historical, worse than historical or something like that). It's always very disappointing if a game just dumps you back at the menu after all that effort.
I do realize that in the AGEOD games, the journey is the destination, and most players probably care little about that kind of thing. That's why I posted in this forum intending to just add it myself to my game instead of pointlessly lobbying for AGEOD to make such changes to their games officially.

Likewise, adding a region control trigger would benefit all players and modders, imo.
_____
rezaf

lodilefty

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:13 pm

:confused:
All games END with Victory, Defeat or Stalemate messages popping up on-screen.

If Sudden Death is active [as in WIA's 1775/76 Campaigns for USA], you get Victory messages also when all Objectives AND Strategic City requirements are met.

I fail to understand WHAT you are asking for. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

rezaf
Private

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Wait, what?
You mean only when sudden death is enabled, do you?

Otherwise, why did I never encounter them?
Are they supposed to actually pop up or do they get a red-lined message in the log only?
The last game I played extensively was AACW, and I finished it at least thrice, and it had always bothered me the game did basically nothing to recognize that.
I deliberately clicked next turn a few times to see if anything happened. I even went so far to let the game reach the end of it's timeframe and still got nothing, even if I continued clicking away next turn.
Are you telling me that's not supposed to happen?
_____
rezaf

lodilefty

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

rezaf wrote:Wait, what?

Are they supposed to actually pop up or do they get a red-lined message in the log only?
The last game I played extensively was AACW, and I finished it at least thrice, and it had always bothered me the game did basically nothing to recognize that.
I deliberately clicked next turn a few times to see if anything happened. I even went so far to let the game reach the end of it's timeframe and still got nothing, even if I continued clicking away next turn.
_____
rezaf

Correct! You get should end of game message in all cases!!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

rezaf
Private

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm

So, is it a popup or a log entry?
In any event, what could be the reason for them not showing up?
I have been playing with the latest patches installed, if that makes any difference.
I gotta check if I have the AACW savegame still around (AACW was the last game I tried this with).
_____
rezaf

Hobbes

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 pm

rezaf wrote:Wait, what?

_____
rezaf

Hi Rezaf, if you are playing a scenario with sudden death enabled you will see the victory screen when you have taken all objectives - if it is not enabled you will have to wait until the final turn is played+1 to see the screen. If you don't see a screen after the final turn+1 it sounds like a bug - but I have never encountered this problem. Are you talking about this sort of thing :-

If you want to make a mod that checks region control you have to use
the EvalControl command (not in the Wiki I think?) But I don't think this is what you are really after.
Objective and strategic region control is automatically registered by the game engine and control of all will result in the effects as mentioned above.
Not sure if this answers your question - let me know.

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
AAR64.jpg

lodilefty

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 pm

It should popup, but also will be seen as a "red entry" in messages.

I haven't played AACW in a while, but I know it works in WIA and RoP. ;)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

rezaf
Private

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 am

My apologies for taking a while to reply, I didn't get as much time on the computer last weekend as I'd have liked to. :(

Anyway, thanks for finally answering my actual question Hobbes, though I still don't know how EvalControl works. I'll try to find an event that uses it - should be possible now that I know what I'm searching for - and see if I can figure it out myself.

Sadly I didn't have the AACW savegames any longer, must've been before my last reinstall. I might be able to dig them up from some backups, but it might take a while.
For verification I played some of the small scenarios (I usually only play GCs) but they always showed a victory screen, like you guys pointed out.
Really wondering what happened there.

Many thanks for all the replies for the time being.
_____
rezaf

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”