andatiep

What is the "Area" ability parameter ?

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:15 pm

Dear veteran MODers,

I wish to add parameters for the abilities so that, if its owner is the leader with the highest rank/seniority, an ability could apply :
- only inside a city
- only in the region
- only inside the command range area of an Army
- only in a state
- only in a Departement
- in the whole map

I guess i can place all this wishes in the AACW2 wishlist thread because it probably can't be MOD without a big AGE change.
But i saw (in the ability reference document : http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10259) that there is a parameter called "Area" which comment is "Restricted to this area, can only be used at the leader level".

The problem is that there is currently no ability which have it so it's not obvious how it's working.

- I don't know what are this area (region ? State ? Departement ?)
- I don't know what to put instead of the value "NULL" (0 ? 1 ?, a region name/list ?).

Does anybody know about this ?

Thanks for your attention,
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

lodilefty

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:09 pm

It works quite well, actually, as a 'penalty' reducing the effectiveness, rather than a 'restriction'.

The 'ability' is, AFAIK only a 'cosmetic' icon now, as the actual 'home area penalty' is applied in the Model for leader, troops etc.

See in a model file [or the DB] for the parameter "HomeArea" which applies a penalty to the model if outside that area.

To get even more confusing, a Uniit can also be assigned a "home area", defined in the Unit file [and DB] by parameter "Area" which is used for the AutoRaise function. [which may soon be enhanced for other uses in patches or new games ;) ]

Note that the ability reference for this ability is somewhat legacy, from the original Birth of America, where once upon a time it actually prevented movement ouside the "home" area....

Note: Areas definitions are in \GameData\Areas.ini
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”