lodilefty

Ports mod, with C&C changes - 1775

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 pm

I started out trying some ideas while awaiting BoA2 testing to start, and have developed an interesting (to me, anyway :innocent: ) mod. I am attempting to slow the British 'chase', reduce raids, and inhibit rapid assaults on American held locations....

These can be implemented as two separate mods.
Both are fully JSGME compatible. http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Ports and waterways
  1. Ports exit points 'cleaned up' to be more geographicaly correct.
  2. New Bedford moved to appear on south shore, not Mass Bay
  3. Lake Ontario does not freeze
  4. Portage of Bateaux from Lac Champlain to Lac Montreal now possible (and takes a long time: 40+ days)

Command and Control
  1. Only for AWI, no FIW leaders affected.
  2. Testing only for 1775 Campaign so far.
  3. Intended to be installed 'on top' of British Command mod by runyan99
  4. Limits stack max CP to 16 (modable in settings)
  5. Added two abilities: Good Commander, Overcautious
  6. Good Commander applied to Washington
  7. Overcautious applied to all 2* and 3* British and Germans
  8. Slow Mover applied to most British 2* and 3* (unless they were already Fast!)
  9. Removed AIRole_Raider parameter from most British leaders.
  10. 'Ranger' movement capability enabled for rangers, mountaneers, partisans, warriors and braves, plus the 'obvious' irregular leaders. This allows these units to 'walk on water' using their canoes. :indien: :niark:

Again, this is still in it's early testing stages, but appears to be having some minor effects on the 'British diaspora'. :sourcil:
British AI still doesn't garrison the big cities very well, though..... :fleb:

Files attached. Unzip into your Main Birth of America folder, or use JSGME per instructions.

lodilefty

Update

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:03 am

Since the "new posts" function doesn't flag edits:

I've tested the portage (Champlain to Montreal) and it works.
Split the mod into "ports" and "c&c"
Uploaded the files, with a link to JSGME which I highly recommend.

:cwboy:

lodilefty

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm not so sure the C&C is doing what I want. Brits have chased Washy all over the map & trapped/destroyed him in Albany.....

I think the cohesion function will be needed to slow things down.... (as in BoA2).

Ports and rangers are working OK, though. :niark:

lodilefty

Updated and separated

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:19 pm

I decided to separate these mods so they can be used separately.

Ports and lakes is stable and simple.
Rangers mod allows use of "inherent" water transport for rangers, etc.
The C&C mod is still volatile and experimental.
[INDENT]I've added "Non-Militiaman" ability to model the "disdain" regulars had for militia. Appied to British 3* and 2*, and Charles Lee.[/INDENT]

With the difficulty at "Very Hard", the inherent Activation bonus appears to have overwhelmed the malus for OverCautious. Still trying! :siffle:
Attachments
C&C mod.zip
(193.97 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Rangers mod.zip
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Lakes_Ports mod.zip
(47.42 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Portage of Bateaux from Lac Champlain to Lac Montreal now possible (and takes a long time: 40+ days)

How did you achieve this? As you may have noticed by the Bateax, portages and forts thread I started, I've been giving portage some thought.

Greene was good at collecting boats. I'm considering giving him pontoneer ability.

lodilefty

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:05 pm

FM WarB wrote:Portage of Bateaux from Lac Champlain to Lac Montreal now possible (and takes a long time: 40+ days)

How did you achieve this? As you may have noticed by the Bateax, portages and forts thread I started, I've been giving portage some thought.

Greene was good at collecting boats. I'm considering giving him pontoneer ability.

Using ExMap, I put a 27LongTransitionLink between Lac Champlain and the St. Lawrence.... It didn't work at all until I found out that links [like adjacencies] have to be 'reciprocal' = matched up in all the regions involved...

I started my ports mod doing it via adjacencies, made a big mess [they have to match up in adjacent region files] and got ahold of ExMap. It took a couple of weeks to be able to limp along in ExMap, but it helps avoid fubarrs. Beware, there is no documentation, and few folks using it.
All those 'redundant' adjacencies relate to the polygon defining the shape of the region map.

ExMap is available at: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5358 as the 'AGEOD Map Editor'
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:08 pm

An ingenious solution; I'm not quite ready to start screwing around with xmap.

The map should also have portage sites in other places, as discussed in that other thread.
In any case Portage should be faster at most portage sites.

lodilefty

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:11 pm

FM WarB wrote:An ingenious solution; I'm not quite ready to start screwing around with xmap.

The map should also have portage sites in other places, as discussed in that other thread.
In any case Portage should be faster at most portage sites.

We're looking at portage in BoA2.
Right now, the fastest tranit using this method would be 15 days in clear weather.

Since it took Lewis & Clark longer than that to go 20 miles with a few boats, it feels right. [Ya gotta move the stuff being carried, and it's often tough terrain]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Good work, that!
Portage sites were not all the same.

The Lake George/Lake Champlain portage site was 3.5 miles overland. They had hoists to lift the batteaux out of the water and place them on wheeled carriages for the overland haul. 50 bateaux, along with their offloaded cargo could be moved in a day.

Richard M. Ketchum, Saratoga, Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War p.28. Showing the utility of the river/lake transport system would greatly enhance French & Indian war, AWI and 1812 war scenarios.

Figure now's the time to ask, as BoA 2 has not yet gone to the press.

FM WarB
Colonel

Aegod map editor

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:43 pm

I've downloaded the zip file. What is the best way/place to unzip it?

lodilefty

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:27 pm

FM WarB wrote:I've downloaded the zip file. What is the best way/place to unzip it?

Best is JSGME. See first post in this thread.
The file structure is inherent to unzip directly, or use JSGME to manage mods...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Return to “BoA Mods”