Stwa
Colonel

German Units

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:59 am

I have been re-doing all the German units and models. Mainly name modifications, but one thing is bothering me....

Why are the German Leaders stuck to their units, like von Rall, and others. On the surface, it does not make sense to me, so I was hoping someone could explain it.

Was this the way the game was originally (i.e. version 1.0). It doesn't seem like the user interface really supports this arrangement, even though the data relationhips do. (i.e. units --> models).

PhilThib

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:29 am

This was the only way we had initially to make sure those German colonels stayed with the regiment they owned. :indien:

Now, it shall be different with the upcoming BOA2, because we shall use the feature developed for ACW cavalry leaders, that allows to link leaders to specific units (and make sure they stay with it till unit is destroyed)... :coeurs:

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:07 am

PhilThib wrote:This was the only way we had initially to make sure those German colonels stayed with the regiment they owned. :indien:

Now, it shall be different with the upcoming BOA2, because we shall use the feature developed for ACW cavalry leaders, that allows to link leaders to specific units (and make sure they stay with it till unit is destroyed)... :coeurs:

Hi Philippe,

Nevertheless, it was simply not a requirement that German colonels stay (command) the units they owned/purchased. And it would be entirely possible that they could become separated from their units as well. The game also allows them to command non German units as other national leaders can also command German units.

Considering the simplicity of BOA stacks, I am not sure this feature was altogether warranted, and not worth having the interface use several different methods to present leaders. Just an opinion. :bonk:

PhilThib

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm

At the time it seemed the best choice for us...and I would hate seeing players sending a German colonel to take command of a British Regiment just because the guy is 'available' and better than his English counterpart...that would not have happened in those times...and should not in our game either :indien:

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:21 pm

PhilThib wrote:At the time it seemed the best choice for us...and I would hate seeing players sending a German colonel to take command of a British Regiment just because the guy is 'available' and better than his English counterpart...that would not have happened in those times...and should not in our game either :indien:

Good point, but of course I must mention Knyphausen, by now a General, and at New York his regiment was commanded by Rall I think? Later in the war Knyphausen was placed in overall command of Manhatten (New York City), presumably over British troops stationed there. So, perhaps Knyphausen was "available" and "better than his English counterparts", and therefore got the job.

As far as the game (non-modified BoA) goes, you can simply remove Burgoyne from the stack on the way down to Ticonderoga, and voila!, Riedesel in now commanding the entire stack?

I am not trying to be pesty, but in a game were mainly the setups are historical and the balance of play is fictional (as it should be), this is one of those points that the player himself could control to his or her own satisification. You might get a chuckle out of some of your German players, (my presumption only).

:bonk:

Stwa
Colonel

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:24 pm

Regarding the game presentation of German leaders, perhaps Pocus could tell us how to change the leader strat. values that appear where the unit name should appear in the sub-unit box on the far right bottom of the screen.

I hate seeing these values overflow this box everytime I click on any unit with an integrated leader. This is my main objection to this method. :bonk:

PhilThib

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:43 pm

Stwa wrote:Good point, but of course I must mention Knyphausen, by now a General, and at New York his regiment was commanded by Rall I think? Later in the war Knyphausen was placed in overall command of Manhatten (New York City), presumably over British troops stationed there. So, perhaps Knyphausen was "available" and "better than his English counterparts", and therefore got the job.

Knyphausen is a general "separate" from any regiment, so it works as historical. We can give him an 'anglo-german' trait that will allow him to command British forces without penalities if need be...

Stwa
Colonel

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:29 am

PhilThib wrote:Knyphausen is a general "separate" from any regiment, so it works as historical. We can give him an 'anglo-german' trait that will allow him to command British forces without penalities if need be...

Wrong!

1. In the game there is only a Knyphausen Rgt unit (i.e. not a leader unit). Knyphausen's leader model is integrated into this regiment. So this unit functions not historically at all.

2. If you add anything to the game, I would rather you fix some of the text box overflows, and region data (see Jagger for details) instead.

3. You are forgetting other German colonels like Schmidt and Stirn (i.e. they are not integrated into regiments) that can easily command British troops. I have seen no such penalties for them doing so. I don't see them in the battle logs. Perhaps they occur as you say or perhaps they are not occuring.

4. Are command structures at this level (of the original BoA) game really necessary at all.

5. You are suggesting that British Command carried some stigma in regards to German leadership of the day. But this point seems exaggerated. If Knyphausen could lead British troops, so could the rest?

Stwa
Colonel

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:07 am

Plus, when the German leaders are not integrated, you get a tool tip display for the army that makes sense.

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:15 am

Even the AI knows what to do with a good leader.

muddymonkey77
Captain

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:36 am

I agree 100% with keeping the German commanders with the German troops.
PhilThib is correct. This is the best way to do it in my opinion!

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:05 pm

German Inhaber, owners of regiments had other duties than commanding their regiments, and they were oft Generals (as in the British and French armies). As such they should be seperate leaders. With the latest update, they would have to be flagged allied leader to command British troops.
And why do Germans have white coats and no Grenadier battalions?
I'd like to see these German unit mods, as it would save me the effort of doing it myself.

Return to “BoA Mods”