Stwa
Colonel

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:44 am

:blink:

Stwa
Colonel

Civil War Order of Battle

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 am

To craft each scenario script, I will be using Order's of Battle that have been made avialable on the Wiki.

They look to be very clean and accurate.

There are alot of units in these battles and to make them work properly with BoA I have had to devise a standardized method for translating the OOB data to data in the scenario script.

To do this properly I reorganized the game's Unit and Model database. More on that in a later thread.

[ATTACH]26301[/ATTACH]

Stwa
Colonel

Setup Scripts for Battles

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:40 am

Each setup script will follow the same convention. I have adopted the Corps as the basic manuevering element of the scenarios.

These higher eschelons will be very large, but you can always divide them at your own peril.

The units in each corps should normally be brigade size for all troop types if possible. That has much to do with the underlying unit and model databases, which I have greatly consolidated and re-worked.

In each corps, the units will be called out in the following order:

Army Commander - Major Generals - Brigadeer Generals - Infantry Brigades - Cavalry Brigades - Artillery Batalions - Supply

Suppy will be named after a specific General as follows:

Army Commander and Major Generals - up to 1 supply unit each.

Brigadeer Generals - up to 1 supply unit per 2 BGs rounded down.

Army Commanders will probably be included in the first corps. As Lee is with Longstreet.

Tabs will follow a naming convention when "divisions" are created, no matter the actual composition of the force.

Army Commander tabs: i.e. (Lee's Army)

Major General tabs: i.e. (Longstreet's Corps)

Brigadeer General tabs: i.e. (Stuart's Force)

[ATTACH]26302[/ATTACH]

Stwa
Colonel

The Battle Campaign Scenario

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:39 pm

I believe it is important to realize that the planned battles are not "excuse me" scenarios of a few turns durations, but rather the starting point of a campaign game that might last until the end of 1863 (depending on the scenario), or in some cases, beyond.

Each scenario is simply given a starting point that predates (by a few months), an actual battle during the Civil War. The scenario scripts do not actively try to force a battle at a certain location. Only in the Antietam scenario, is a battle location (Sharpsburg) called out as an objective, but that is because the Army of Northern Virginia was trying to forage in this area for food supplies.

What needs to be developed now is a common (used by all Battle Campaign scenarios) Reinforcement/Replacement Script, so that these events function with each scenario and for the duration of the war. As the development of this script proceeds, the ending date for each Battle Campaign can be extended to the ending date of the Reinforcement Script.

For instance, currently I have given the end of the current year as the ending date for the Bull Run Campaign scenario, but as soon as the ending date of the Reinforcement script is greater than the Bull Run scenario, I will apply the ending date of the Reinforcement script to the Bull Run scenario.

Here are the current set of completed scenarios.

[ATTACH]26350[/ATTACH]

Stwa
Colonel

Sudden Death Ending

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I will be applying the RulSuddenDeath condition to both sides of each scenario. Therefore, the actual ending date of any scenario, is less important than the objectives of the sceanrio.

If the objective conditions of a scenario are met by either side, the game will end and victory will be awarded to the player that first satisfied his objectives. If objectives are not met, the game will grind on, with refinforcements arriving until the players puke or the ending date is finally reached, where victory will be awarded on points accumulated.

[ATTACH]26351[/ATTACH]

Stwa
Colonel

The All Important Reinforcements Script

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi,

I have already gotton a great start on the Reinforcement script that I will use with each of the Civil War scenarious, updating it through the end of 1863.

It is very easy do do because the forces you need to indentify are mostly already contained in the Order's of Battle from the Wiki. There are other good sources, such as articles on the Army of Northern Virginia, that supply the organizations (and units) of the Army over time.

I am going to be handling all reinforcements with a script as opposed to using Auto Raise, and Auto Up Grades. Therefore, troops may not come into game play at an exact historical date or location by design.

Throughout most of my scripts for other games, I have been using a fixed date for entry into the game but also specifiying several alternate locations for entry, that the game system will choose at random. So, depending on where reinforcements actually arrive, this method best simulates delay.

This modular approach allows many game types to be constructed without having to redo anything. First, a pure battle, of just a few month's duration, without any refinforcements. Or, a Battle Campaign of 18-24 months with a starting OOB of the battle but allowing the next's battle's reinforcements to enter into the game over its duration. (like First and Second Bull Run). Or, a complete 1861-1865 Campaign.

So, the first one was the 1861 Bull Run Campaign, which starts May 1861, just after Fort Sumter and lasts to the end of 1862, and during that time new volunteers flood into both armys. It is a very challenging and fun campaign, with lot's of force crammed into Virginia and Maryland. Supply is more accute for the Confederates, as you might expect, and this fact is well simulated by the game.

[ATTACH]26435[/ATTACH]

Return to “BoA Mods”