Injun
Lieutenant

Creating multiple Copies of game for mods

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Using Clovis's, "Struggle for a vast future mod" Folder structure I discovered how to run a mod with out changing the primary ACW Dir.

I use mutilple installs. The virgin dvd install version 1.07h. Here are the steps I used for newbies. See attached picture of my program file folder.

1. Install a fresh copy of the game.

2. Creat in you program files dir/folder the mod folder, example. Jaberwocks," Leader Graphic Mod. I call mine ACW-Leader Graphics.

3. Go to your, "AGEod's American Civil War", folder and open it. Sellect all and hit the copy command.

4. Goto your mod game folder,example ACW-Leader Graphics open it and paste what you copied from AGEod's American Civil War folder.

5. After the copying has taken place find and use the latest patch you want to use with the mod in accordance with the mod instructions for compatability. Up date the modded folder not the primary gamr folder.

6. test, start the game from the modded folder. You should see in the lower right corner as the game loads the version patched to. Close game.

You now have muliple copies of the game on your PC.
Now to install the mod to your mod folder and one is up dated to the patch you will be using for your mod.
Attachments
my program files folder.gif

Rafiki

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:43 pm

This sums it up so nicely that it is worthy a "sticky". Well done, Injun :)

As people provide feedback, feel free to incorporate it into your description of how to do it.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Injun
Lieutenant

Installing a Mod

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Using Clovis's, "Struggle for a vast future mod" Folder structure I discovered how to run a mod with out changing the primary ACW Dir.

1. Goto the mod you want to use on this forum and download the files. I created an ACW folder in my documents where I keep patches and mod files in seperate folders for each mod. For this demo I will use the Jabberwock's Leader Graphic Mod.

1. Go to your mod updated game folder. Mine is updated to 1.10c, called ACW-Leader Graphics. open it. Open the AGEsettings and it will save the serial number, otherwise it will have tobe manual typed in once the mod is launched.

2. install the blank modpath ini file provided in the zipped file.

3. Open modpath ini file with a text editor. I use notepad2. Type in Mod Name; example Leader Graphics Mod. Save. I highlight and copy the name text and copy. close text editor.

4. In the moded game folder, ie ACW-Leader Graphics folder create a new folder and paste the text copied from the modpath ini file.ie; Leader Graphics Mod.

6. You should have the new folder named for the mod and the same name in the modpath ini. Otherwise the mod will not work.

7. Open the ACW folder sellect all and copy. Back out of this folder.

8. Paste the ACW folder contents into the mod folder, ie Leader Graphics Mod.
onced copied back out. Now you have the base top apply the mod in the created mod folder.

9. Following the modder's instructions apply the modded files to the modded folder,ie Leader Graphics Mod. Do not aply them to the ACW folder.

10. Once the modded files have been properly applied start the game from this folder. You should see in the uper right corner the name of the mod and the updated version in the lower left hand corner. If the game does not crash you have been sucessful.

I hope this helps someone

8. Open Mod folder ie
Attachments
modpath.zip
(156 Bytes) Downloaded 371 times

Injun
Lieutenant

Will do

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Rafiki wrote:This sums it up so nicely that it is worthy a "sticky". Well done, Injun :)

As people provide feedback, feel free to incorporate it into your description of how to do it.

If needed I can do a picture instruction step by step of the whole procedure.

For the screen shots I am using screen hunter 5.0 free.

cobraII
Captain

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 pm

a picture by picture would be nice i tried downloading all of the files, but its not clear on parts where it say overwrite files does it automaticly do that or do i have to do something to overwrite them

Injun
Lieutenant

Future posting instructions

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:46 am

cobraII wrote:a picture by picture would be nice i tried downloading all of the files, but its not clear on parts where it say overwrite files does it automaticly do that or do i have to do something to overwrite them

CobraII,
I see I will Have to make a step by step instruction guide with pictures. Overwriting files, this takes place when you open a Zipped file and you target a folder you want your file compression program to open to. Those files which are compressed will be loaded to the folder which you want to copy them. Noramal those files will be copied over by those files. I hope this helps.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:59 pm

While going after Injun's description to create Modder Times NCP installation I noticed it was possible to keep two different settings for default and modded, duplicate installation:

Within "NCP Modder Times" folder, (this is the folder name for the mod) locate AGESettings.exe file, (the one with AGESettings icon): RMC over it, (right mouse click) and select create new link. Rename the Link to "NCP Modder Times setting" and move it on your desktop.
You can now use "NCP Modder Times setting" desktop link to recall the configure utility/menu so to set you NCP Modder Times installation resolution at will.

For full description see:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=113335&postcount=3
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

johnnycai
Major

Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:45 am

Hello Gents,
Is there an update for having multiple versions with VISTA??

Have tried numerous times with the instructions shown here but I believe its different with Vista.

Thanks in advance,
John

johnnycai
Major

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Gents,
I seem to have gotten it working now in VISTA. I made a copy of the AACW folder as directed by instructions in this thread but you also need to match/copy the directories/files in the \Users\local\virtualstore\Programs(x86) where the saved games files are.

John :thumbsup:

Gray_Lensman

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 pm

johnnycai wrote:Gents,
I seem to have gotten it working now in VISTA. I made a copy of the AACW folder as directed by instructions in this thread but you also need to match/copy the directories/files in the \Users\local\virtualstore\Programs(x86) where the saved games files are.

John :thumbsup:

Since the game was originally designed for XP, this can't be done without disrupting all the XP installations. Instead Vista users should install the game each time in a more XP compatible format. Once installed in that manner the SVF installation instructions work the same for either XP or Vista.

see post #7 of the following thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11319&highlight=Vista+Program+Files

Return to “AACW Mods”