Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Clovis wrote:And AGEOD has much more important things to do in order to survive before working about conversion tool for a mod on a game whose the largest part of sells has already be made.

[color="Blue"]Hi Guys,

Actually, AACW is still selling fairly well. This game has a great reputation so keep on spreading the word!

Now, sorry GShock but Clovis is entirely right. We don't have the time ressources to invest in such work. Gray and Pocus keep looking on the modders work and incorporate some stuff but it's marginal now.

So enjoy Clovis' great work but don't expect it to become official anytime soon.

Thanks,

Korrigan[/color]
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

GShock

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Ehm...it was just out of altruism, SVF is my AACW. :)

As of the loss in NM implied, i agree the two sides had different views on different generals.

I think perhaps more than the rank the seniority should be considered...seniority is achieved in combat, so only a winning general would win seniority and winning generals were famous and their death or capture would be a real blow.

This leaves a non-linear path for the NM which also adapts with all generals who fight and not just the historical ones. It also leaves a window open for players who play stat randomization. If Grant sucks, you don't use him so if you lose him, the country doesn't lose him...in any case with few ** + star generals, each of them would probably also be assigned to corps or army, so the rank-base can't be neglected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Clovis

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Korrigan wrote:Hi Guys,

Actually, AACW is still selling fairly well. This game has a great reputation so keep on spreading the word!

Korrigan

Glad to hear. I'm personnaly convinced a larger part of people are more interested in complex games than voiced here and there... even if AGEOD must offer simpler games. And the simplest AGEOD game is so largely deeper than... what's the name of this swedish company??. :niark:
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:21 pm

GShock wrote:Ehm...it was just out of altruism, SVF is my AACW. :)

As of the loss in NM implied, i agree the two sides had different views on different generals.

I think perhaps more than the rank the seniority should be considered...seniority is achieved in combat, so only a winning general would win seniority and winning generals were famous and their death or capture would be a real blow.

This leaves a non-linear path for the NM which also adapts with all generals who fight and not just the historical ones. It also leaves a window open for players who play stat randomization. If Grant sucks, you don't use him so if you lose him, the country doesn't lose him...in any case with few ** + star generals, each of them would probably also be assigned to corps or army, so the rank-base can't be neglected.

At first glance, the scripting language is unable to link seniority or leader values to changes in NM... In some way, the death of a great leader will indirectly lead to NM losses as the chance of winning some battles will be reduced... :niark:
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

bigus
General

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Clovis wrote:Take a look to:

- models files, with cohesion levels lower than in vanilla, large changes to off and def values for artillery
- combat option file in the setting folder.

You should then by comparing with vanilla files get an idea of the necessary changes. Feel free to adapt them to vanilla..

I've looked at the Combat.opt and models file but never really looked at the Art values.
I will check that out.
thanks Clovis.

Bigus

Pocus

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:41 pm

When you lose an element, you pay its POL cost in both VP and morale.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Clovis

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 pm

New version uploaded in the first post of the thread. There are now 2 April 61scenarios: one with the " leader removal" option, the second without
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

GShock

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Pocus wrote:When you lose an element, you pay its POL cost in both VP and morale.

Pocus in what % is the element lost related to a NM? If i lose 5 elements for example, how many NM will i lose?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

bk6583
Lieutenant

For Clovis - CTD

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi Clovis,

This happened twice now over a period of about four turns.

Regards,

Bob
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Clovis

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:54 pm

bk6583 wrote:Hi Clovis,

This happened twice now over a period of about four turns.

Regards,

Bob

I don't see anything wrong here.

CTD... I get some from time to time, especially after using the save turn feature and re-opening the game. I suspect less a problem tied to my mod than random corruption of data during a save but this almost so exceptional I don't have much clue about.

Now of course, it could be my fault....
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

bk6583
Lieutenant

No One's Fault

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Clovis,

Was never trying to establish fault - it's just logical if a problem happens when playing an extensive mod, you go to the source. You very promptly checked the log and found nothing wrong - that's good enough for me!

bk6583
Lieutenant

Curious Questions

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Clovis,

Just to follow up I had two questions:

1. It seems (not that I'm complaining) that with very few exceptions most of the Union generals almost always activate every turn. WAD?

2. I had commented earlier that the CSA was going deep with forces almost across the entire map. You correctly pointed out that I did not follow your recommendation to set the CSA AI to Normal Aggression and 2-3 clicks on FOW (I had Athena set on Low Aggression and no FOW). That was Sep 61. From that point on I set the the aggression to normal and gave Athena 3 clicks on FOW. I'm now in Oct 62 and the CSA is still going deep - shoot, I've got Bobby Lee somewhere up around Erie! Did my not follwing your advice from the very start of the game "set" Athena permantly on deep attacks?

Clovis

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm

bk6583 wrote:Hi Clovis,

Was never trying to establish fault - it's just logical if a problem happens when playing an extensive mod, you go to the source. You very promptly checked the log and found nothing wrong - that's good enough for me!

I didn't taken offense of your post. SVF first name was experimental mod...and that's it: a mod is always experimental :niark: and by such dangerous for the game stability... :innocent:

Precedent modding experiences learned to me CTDs are often a side effects of modding, either because of an error or simply bceause the mod pushed the system to its limits, creating some data corruption. If the problem is persisting, try to describe it and send me the save files.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:41 pm

bk6583 wrote:Clovis,

Just to follow up I had two questions:

1. It seems (not that I'm complaining) that with very few exceptions most of the Union generals almost always activate every turn. WAD?

2. I had commented earlier that the CSA was going deep with forces almost across the entire map. You correctly pointed out that I did not follow your recommendation to set the CSA AI to Normal Aggression and 2-3 clicks on FOW (I had Athena set on Low Aggression and no FOW). That was Sep 61. From that point on I set the the aggression to normal and gave Athena 3 clicks on FOW. I'm now in Oct 62 and the CSA is still going deep - shoot, I've got Bobby Lee somewhere up around Erie! Did my not follwing your advice from the very start of the game "set" Athena permantly on deep attacks?

1) I didn't modified anything about leader activation( except one event giving one turn activation to McDowell). Poor US leaders are genrally unactivated most of the time in my tests. So... just luck...

2) No; Athena is planning just for the turn, so any change in AI settings is immedialtly in use.
The long arid problem isn't plaguing just my mod. Wars In America is obviously suffering the same loophole in the rules permitting against any historical rightness such a strategy. And Athena gets it as any player would, but risks in such raids forces greater than the cavalry or irregular unit you will use.

I just suspect the lower density of troops at start in my mod is giving more pregnace to this behaviour. I implemented stopgaps measure ( more US gunboats on the Ohio- Tennessee rivers, more garrisons in rear towns) but I can't suppress the primary problem, ie the objective cities neighbouring the Canadian frontier that are aimanting the AI thinking.

I hope the new AI command to be shortly implemented in AACW will solve the problem definitly. For now, you have to block CSA AI to make such long raids: in short, control of the OHIO and Tennessee crossing, control of the West Virginia and Harper's Ferry's, immediate strong reaction when Maryland or Pensylvania are invaded to block path to the Southern army, and as ever, offensive attitude in Virginia, Missouri, Kentucky with any leader, even Buell, Pope, Butler to keep CSA AI at bay.

For example, I can block with Patterson force Johnston's Shenandoah force in 1861 by coming into Harper's Ferry region. In a certain sense, you're like Lincoln: you have to go on the offennsive even with Patterson...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:56 pm

Clovis wrote:And the simplest AGEOD game is so largely deeper than... what's the name of this swedish company??. :niark:

Speaking of EU3 only, I think that if you viewed that game from an insider's, modder's perspective, you would not be demeaning its potential depth.
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Widell
Conscript

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Clovis wrote:And the simplest AGEOD game is so largely deeper than... what's the name of this swedish company??. :niark:

I don't fully agree. Being a huge fan of ACW, I am also a huge fan of Hearts of Iron (HoI) by this Swedish company. They are very different games, both with great depth/complexity in certain areas and less in other, so I would not even bother trying to compare them.

berto wrote:Speaking of EU3 only, I think that if you viewed that game from an insider's, modder's perspective, you would not be demeaning its potential depth.

Agree, and the same goes for HoI.

Clovis

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm

berto wrote:Speaking of EU3 only, I think that if you viewed that game from an insider's, modder's perspective, you would not be demeaning its potential depth.

Not the thread to open such can of worms, but frankly, after extensive modding efforts, I've yet to see the EU3 engine producing plausible historical results...producing anything with more elaborate mechanism than mainstream real time PC strategy game, giving a feeling to depthness to player, yes... Giving the real indepth born from the confrontation of the reality of the time....Paradox has definitly made the choice of the sandbox model, based on justifications of various valours blending Turtlelove's fiction to glimpse of more elaborate historical studies revolving around the what-if, but the real point is whatever the game, as released, any minor country will conquer the world in single player game. And to counter that, Paradox invented totally irrelevant concept: badboy, nationalist revolts, to cite the most outrageous, which have a n historical value equal to 0. Afrer that, modders are struggling as they can to produce, with often extreme talent, plausible results, by sometimes disabling the engine curse, and I think here to some colonization schemes implemented on a mandatory manner.

I could cite the totally insane economical Victoria model, the HOI2 impossibility to model adequatly the impossibility for some nation to get the industrial basis necessary to get fully mechanized armies, their last Roma effort describing antic colonization schem like the European colonization in Africa since 1880.

The real Paradox problem is they got a game engine reasonably suited for the Renaissance period with EU1, by scraping most of the advanced feature of the EU boardgame. Then they decided they were game designers and historical experts with EU2. They were right on the first point ( even if they took then the curious habit to deliver games unplayable until the fifth patch or a serious modding effort).

But frankly, their historical vision is about the same then peplum is to Antiquity.

And whe you have played one of their games, except some slight changes you have played the next: same mechanism, same strategies, same impotent AI...

Some will say AGEOD engine to be the same.... but personnaly, I find much more differences between AACW and BOA or WIA. Both, even with their shortcomings, are as delivered pointing out the real differences in the way to wage war between 1750 and 1860...supply, command, relative role of infantry, cvalry, artillery is taken into account and depicted.

And here the subtle differences which are the real depth of strategic thinking are at last arousing.. :innocent:

And from a strict modder point of view, Paradox scripting is certainly richer than for AGEOD ( but the margin is reducing) but I can attest it's much more simpler to get the planned result in an AGEOD game than in a Paradox one, because the engine is more robust and more predictable.

Now, can of worm closed. I said what I wanted. You're certainly right to get a different feeling, but I gear mine to be almost my definitive point of view about this swedish company.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:46 pm

I wasn't commenting on the plausibility issue, rather the depth issue. Modding EU3 is quite complex, and very, very challenging.
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Widell
Conscript

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Clovis wrote:Not the thread to open such can of worms....

Now, can of worm closed. I said what I wanted. You're certainly right to get a different feeling, but I gear mine to be almost my definitive point of view about this swedish company.

Now that whole response was one heck of a can opener :sourcil: , but OK, I will respect that you want to keep this thread to its purpose. I also guess that AGEOD don't really want (based solely on my experience from the Matrix boards) to go into deteriorating discussions about potential competitors.

Back to the topic of this thread: Keep up the good work on SVF! It's a great addition to a great game!

GShock

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:57 am

I didn't wanna intervene myself because the thread is on svf mod not on eu3 vs ageod moddability but it's hard after reading Clovis' Gospel to disagree. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

bk6583
Lieutenant

Two Questions

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am

Union Player - Jun '63:

1. I went into the irregulars reinforcment screen hoping that I'd finally get more sharpshooters - alas no. What I did see were four partisan type cavalry units (I'm at work - I forget what they were called exactly) available in Arkansas. I clicked on all four but the next turn they never appeared and were still available - I guess I have to capture a town or city in Arkansas for these units to be bought and deployed?

2. In the support reinforcment screen three weird units (showing available in CT) became available. They have a supply icon (not wagon) at the bottom of their counter but no actual graphic icon in the center of the counter. They cost $1,000 each, and the one I can remember has a unit name something like "USAKyCenter". What are these units for?

AndrewKurtz

Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:18 pm

bk6583 wrote:2. In the support reinforcment screen three weird units (showing available in CT) became available. They have a supply icon (not wagon) at the bottom of their counter but no actual graphic icon in the center of the counter. They cost $1,000 each, and the one I can remember has a unit name something like "USAKyCenter". What are these units for?

From the first post in this thread...

To choose to invade Kentucky, each side will have to buy an unit ( from turn 2, support category) ( named Invades Kentucky) whose presence will be checked each turn. This unit will enable an event removing the blockstate status of Kentucky...

Union will get too some other units:
- blocus of the Kentucky: lower revenues and WSU for confederates but add to Foreign level entry
- Fremont declaration : Union will gain some NM and VP points but will lose loyalty in some states; the Foreign level entry will be slighty raised

bk6583
Lieutenant

Very Very Very Frustrating!

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Clovis,

I'm in Nov 63 of your mod and now I'm getting CTD constantly - can't even execute the turn. What's going on? Jeez, I'm really enjoying this mod - for crying out loud this is ridiculous - sorry for the emotion.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Clovis

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:28 pm

bk6583 wrote:Clovis,

I'm in Nov 63 of your mod and now I'm getting CTD constantly - can't even execute the turn. What's going on? Jeez, I'm really enjoying this mod - for crying out loud this is ridiculous - sorry for the emotion.

The problem lies in this line:

12:19:03 PM [Critical ] TGroup.Update 1012857 F.Lee's Command Exception caught: Indice de liste hors limites (0) DebugStep: 900

As far I remember, I didn't change anything about F. LEE. So I suspect some sort of corrution data problem in the save ( I noticed this sort of problem when saving a game before ending a turn from time to time, modded game or vanilla version). You could try to go 2 turns back and play again.

If the CTD isn't solved, could you send me the list of units in the group lead by F. LEE?

Thanks for the kind words.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 pm

a new version of SVF is available at the first post of the thread.

What's new?

1) Tried with the existing tool to lower the long range raid AI behaviour., by modding objective region.

In the East, New York and Philadelphia will become objective if Baltimore is taken by the CSA. Baltimore is now an objective.
In the West, I altered some VP objectives: Leavenworth, KS will become a VP location a few moths after the Beginning of the Civil War, Springfield, Il isn't anymore a VP region , Cairo, Il being the new VP location in this State.

2) Reworked the first Bull Run event: Manassas is now a temporary Objective point from June 1861 to the end of the year ( with decreasing value). The event promoting McClellan will only fire if Manassas isn't controlled in August 61 by Union.

3) Toyed with Patterson force to give it a little more strenght.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Jabberwock

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:40 pm

arsan wrote:cool!! :coeurs:

+1
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Clovis

Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:21 am

I'm on vacation until 17th August.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

tony luke
Corporal

Problem (?) with Mod

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:18 am

Hi Clovis,

Firstly, many thanks for the superb work you have been doing with an already 1st class wargame. I recently (02 Aug) downloaded your mod and installed it on a fresh copy of the game, updated to 1.10d. It all seemed to go well but at the end of turn 1 I recieved 2x General Zollociffer's and 2 x General Ruggles in Nashville, one of each was locked and the other ones were free to move? Also, on turn 2 I recieved three units in Bowling Green Kentucky, KY State Militia, Bowling Green Militia and KY Volunteers. Kentucky seceeded to CSA on turn three where I have stopped to query these issues. I had not purchased the Ky unit to allow entry and nor could the US have done it at that stage. Kentucky is free to move into? Is this supposed to happen or is there a problem? Many thanks in anticipation of your answer.

Regards,

Tony

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

duplicate forces.....

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi there.... thank you for creating this wonderfull mod..... I have come across a problem though, I am currently playing an PBEM game as the CSA and I have just noticed there are 2 Ben Huger forces (the one that appears just southeast of Richmond) I dont really want to abandon the game, is there anyway remove his clone from the game?

Thanks

Steven

tony luke
Corporal

CSA side not yet Playable?

Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 am

Hi Clovis,

I continued palying as the CSA side for about five turns and noticed that just about all the forces were arriving twice (two of everything). Therefor I assume that you have not had the chance to mod the CSA side to your mod or that I have done something wrong on the install (though everything seemed to go OK). Ceasing play for now. Your feedback, post your well deserved holiday, would be greatly appreciated. Again many thanks for your work on this mod.

Tony

Return to “AACW Mods”