McNaughton

10-lb Parrot vs 3-in ordnance

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:18 am

I am trying to replicate the difference between the 10-lb and 3-in guns.

In the field, in perfect situations, they preformed almost identically. However, here are the differences.

The 3-in gun cost about twice as much as the 10-lb.

The 10-lb was a very unreliable gun in that it would occasionally explode (due to the cast iron being brittle). Even though it would have the same combat statistics as the 3-in, the 3-in ordnance was heavily desired by gunners and commanders over the 10-lb Parrott.

How can I create two weapons that have the same statistics, but one costs more? Is there a way to replicate the unreliability of the 10-lb guns compared to the reliability of the 3-in?

Possible changes between them:
Initiative (the 3-in was 100-lb lighter than the 10-lb)
Troop Quality (troops won't stand by this weapon, nor will the weapons be in good shape to stand by the troops)
Cohesion (the morale of the battery would be less using this gun than a 3-in)
Ability (make a special ability that replicates the unreliability of the 10-lb)

The 10-lb should be so cheap as to be a viable artillery piece, but the 3-in so problem free that one may want to devote the cash to it at the same time. When looking at rifled artillery inventories of both the North and South, 50% tended to be 10-lb Parrots, while the remaining 50% were 3-in ordnance Rifles.

Any other suggestions as to how to model these two important guns?

PBBoeye
General

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:47 am

Only other thing I can think of is a firepower penalty. This would replicate the occasional breakdown (or blowup) of a 10-lb Parrot here and there, reducing overall battery firepower.

Other than that, I think you have some good ideas. Perhaps using a few of them together, rather than just one great one, will give a good representation.

I really appreciate all the consideration you put into the work. :hat:

McNaughton

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:16 pm

I was thinking about the firepower issue. The problem is the unpredictability of the guns, the fear of the crew using them. While they did blow up more than usual, it wasn't a 1 in 6 thing (i.e., every battery experiencing a blowout). Destruction was unpredictable, which affected the 'morale' of the gun crew probably more than the reality of the gun (based on its heavy use even by the end of the war).

I think I have something working here...

10-lb Parrot: Power 28
3-in ordnance: Power 30
12-lb Napoleon: Power 28

On the surface, the 3-in is the best, and it is except for its cost and assault value (10-lb Parrot has the best cost, 12-lb Napoleon has the best assault). I switched around the attack and defense fire having the rifled guns have better accuracy. I also increased rifled gun range to 7.

For the 10-lb,
Lowered troop quality by one (will not stand and fight as long)
Lowered organization by five
Lowered Initiative by one

For the 12-lb,
Increased assault by three (the chance to hit in an assault)
Increased assault hits by one
Increased cohension hits by five

On the surface the guns are the same, but the 3-in is the 'perfect' rifled gun, the 10-lb is the 'cheap' rifled gun, and the 12-lb is a solid weapon, no flaws, but an awesome assault value. I may reduce the 10-lb cohesion value to represent the lower morale of the unit (70 is still good, but low for Union artillery which averages 80).

Also, I am contemplating changing artillery designation between light and field artillery to become smoothbore and rifled artillery. The 6-lb and 12-lb will be lumped into smoothbore artillery, the 10-lb, 3-in, 20-lb, 4.5-in/4.62-in (replacement for the 'Rodman' and 'Columbiad') will be rifled artillery.

PBBoeye
General

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Yes, very nice. This is what I was thinking - a cumulative effect in several sectors by light adjustments. Looks great and promising.

So you'd eliminate the concept of field artillery and light artillery and go with 'smoothbore' and 'rifled'? Or am I misunderstanding something?

McNaughton

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:23 pm

PBBoeye wrote:Yes, very nice. This is what I was thinking - a cumulative effect in several sectors by light adjustments. Looks great and promising.

So you'd eliminate the concept of field artillery and light artillery and go with 'smoothbore' and 'rifled'? Or am I misunderstanding something?

I was thinking about that, currently it is horse artillery and 6-lb artillery that are 'light' guns. Since the Horse Artillery is to be modded into a mobile 3-in ordnance gun it matches more with the 'field gun' rating. This just leaves the 6-lb in 'light artilllery'. Since the Federals will be replacing virtually all of their 6-lb guns with 10-lb/12-lb/3-in guns this won't represent very many weapons anymore. This way, since the 12-lb is a useful gun all war, both styles of reinforcements will be necessary.

PBBoeye
General

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:26 pm

I think the gains of your system outweigh any 'loss' of a particular gun size not being 'represented', so I'd say "Advance!"

Clovis

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 pm

McNaughton wrote:I was thinking about the firepower issue. The problem is the unpredictability of the guns, the fear of the crew using them. While they did blow up more than usual, it wasn't a 1 in 6 thing (i.e., every battery experiencing a blowout). Destruction was unpredictable, which affected the 'morale' of the gun crew probably more than the reality of the gun (based on its heavy use even by the end of the war).

I think I have something working here...

10-lb Parrot: Power 28
3-in ordnance: Power 30
12-lb Napoleon: Power 28

On the surface, the 3-in is the best, and it is except for its cost and assault value (10-lb Parrot has the best cost, 12-lb Napoleon has the best assault). I switched around the attack and defense fire having the rifled guns have better accuracy. I also increased rifled gun range to 7.

For the 10-lb,
Lowered troop quality by one (will not stand and fight as long)
Lowered organization by five
Lowered Initiative by one

For the 12-lb,
Increased assault by three (the chance to hit in an assault)
Increased assault hits by one
Increased cohension hits by five

On the surface the guns are the same, but the 3-in is the 'perfect' rifled gun, the 10-lb is the 'cheap' rifled gun, and the 12-lb is a solid weapon, no flaws, but an awesome assault value. I may reduce the 10-lb cohesion value to represent the lower morale of the unit (70 is still good, but low for Union artillery which averages 80).

Also, I am contemplating changing artillery designation between light and field artillery to become smoothbore and rifled artillery. The 6-lb and 12-lb will be lumped into smoothbore artillery, the 10-lb, 3-in, 20-lb, 4.5-in/4.62-in (replacement for the 'Rodman' and 'Columbiad') will be rifled artillery.

As far I know, TQ is used only for assault, and initiative is just used to determine who will be first to fire.

To account the higher probability for parrot to blowout, I reduced the hit by one.

Otherwise, I made very similar changes in my mod, thanks to your posts, and until now, I haven't noticed strange battle results, which seems to show your mod will be sound....

McNaughton

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:15 pm

I reverted TQ back to its previous versions, as I misread things thinking that the effect on the unit fighting was for both long range and assault, but reading more carefully it appears to be applied just to assault.

Lower initiative should put it at a handicap when facing the 3-in ordnance in battle (the 3-in will always fire first), and reduced cohesion (-5/10) compared to other guns will have an effect.

For all guns, increased the number of hits to 8 or 12 (8 for CS, 12 for US). I feel that each gun probably had the ability to take two hits before being totally eliminated from 'use'. There were always others around to replace wounded, and keep a gun in battle, and rarely would a gun be destroyed by a hit (primarily the crew). I don't know about reducing one hit, I am torn between what hits mean (the gun battery could take the same punishment, was just succeptable to self destruction). I will keep this in mind if the 10-lb / 20-lb are too powerful.

Pocus

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:58 pm

TQ (named Discipline in AACW) has an effect on fire value, basically, elements with a discipline of 5 get a bonus, and those under get a malus. In the battle log this is noted: "Firer value with TQ correction ...."

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

McNaughton

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:12 am

Pocus wrote:TQ (named Discipline in AACW) has an effect on fire value, basically, elements with a discipline of 5 get a bonus, and those under get a malus. In the battle log this is noted: "Firer value with TQ correction ...."

Ahh..., cool, that is very interesting! Thanks!

Return to “AACW Mods”