McNaughton

"New" Unit Graphics - Union Files Released

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:29 pm

PREVIEW: To be released on a later date

I have been toying around and have created some new unit graphics through cut and pasting. Very little is 'new material' as most is from an existing unit but modified through cutting, pasting, with some 're-developing' done. Due to my ADD I am moving from mod to mod, and back again, and have decided to do some graphic editing as well (a different twist from modding unit names which is very linear and not too creative).

(Discussed in order of creation)

4. This unit is a slight change from the MIL4, by extending the Union Army coat down, giving the soldier sergeant bars, and a new collar (removing the 'cadet' looking collar with a 'regular volunteer collar'). I did this because I felt that the typical union infantryman wasn't represented in enough models (a lot of zouave uniforms are used, with only one model representing a 'basic' union soldier of typical uniform, as INF1).

3. This was a slight adaption of unit #4, where I added a rolled up blanket from MIL1.

5. This was another (more ambitious) adaption of unit #4, where I added a backpack and webbing (from INF4). I am also working on unit patches (the red on the hat) to add some colour (red = 1st Division, blue = 2nd Division, white = 3rd Division, I will stick with red as it addes more to the graphic).

6. This was an adaption of unit #5, where I am working on removing the facial hair (still a work in progress, face could be used for any of the above models).

2. This was one of my more ambitious projects. Taking unit #4, plus INF2, and merging the two units into the new pose for unit #2.

1. This was an even more ambitious project. I took unit #2, and added the winter coat from SHARP2.

7. This is an attempt at modifying the elite INF6 into a unit that more closely resembles a trooper from the Iron Briagde. I changed the face profile (modified SHARP1 face, had to be shrunk as the SHARP1 unit is larger than the INF6 unit), as well as extending the jacket coat (uniforms of the Iron Briagde had a longer coat). I am probably going to remove the gold from the shoulders, as I cannot find a reference of it in any photographs or paintings of units of the Iron Brigade. I am also stilll working on the Hardee hat and the face as they appear to still be too large (even though I already shrunk them!)

I have completed (still tweaking all of the units) the three different model sizes for units 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 (still working on 1 and 6). I will post up the mod when I have progressed further.

These units are modular, and I could create a mix of different poses and uniform parts (i.e., I could put the top of unit 3 into unit 2 in order to make a new unit that has a horizontally posed rifle, but also with the bedroll around their torso, or I could take the model with the backpack from units 5 or 6 and apply it here as well).

I am also toying with having putees in the case of unit 7 (or having shorter versions as seen in confederate troops) as an option for the above units as well.

Next I plan to do some confederate units (their existing poses and uniforms are already more diverse than the union, so modding will be more superficial), eventually trying to get some butternut uniforms into play (this will be tough to do).

Jabberwock

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am

Excellent work!

Due to my ADD

You too, huh? Everybody who is officially diagnosed raise your hand. Those of you that only suspect you are ADD, run in circles.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

tc237
Colonel

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:14 am

Jabberwock wrote:...Those of you that only suspect you are ADD, run in circles...

I ran around a couple times but got bored, started watching the NBA finals but that was boring too, decided to check the forum...

Awesome job McNaughton!!!
Those models look release ready now!!

I'm starting to get that itch again....

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:44 am

Wooot ! I can sense great mods coming : A mix of Graphics/gameplay twicks/flavor names and attributes... Add to that a more clever AI.. God I wish it was september so that it could be patch 1.3 or .4 already...

Pocus

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:49 am

I advise you yo use a free installer, like Ino Setup (written in Delphi too), so that people can easily change the game with your mods after they patch the game (as patches overwrite the gamedata files).

I can provide you with a ino file template to help people interested.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Chamberlain
Captain

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:04 pm

Wow McNaughton

They look great :) :) :) :)

:hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat:

Chamberlain

McNaughton

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:22 pm

Pocus wrote:I advise you yo use a free installer, like Ino Setup (written in Delphi too), so that people can easily change the game with your mods after they patch the game (as patches overwrite the gamedata files).

I can provide you with a ino file template to help people interested.

That would be great. I am going to finish up the unitnames project this weekend, then put together this mod.

I am going to have as much as possible as new files, with as little overwriting as I can. For example, I am going to continue on with unit file names (i.e., the last Infantry file was named INF6.png, I will start my mod based on INF7.png, and so on) so the graphics won't be overwritten. I will also create new unit model files (new conscript infantry, early infantry, etc.), with the only files to be overwritten are the individual brigade and regiment (for militia and cavalry). This mod will not change any statistics (although I will tag graphics along to a series of brigade mods I am developing), and will be based on 'vanilla' ACW (which can then be used by modders themselves if they so choose).

My goal is to create a large variety of poses and uniform options (not all of the uniforms I will create will be applied in my mod, but are free for others to pick and choose). Also, feel free to use these graphics in any other mod, but I would appreciate some credit given. :)

DISCLAIMER: A lot of choices are based on personal opinion. I am creating graphics as to what I feel looks 'good'. Also, I am somewhat limited to what AGEOD has already implemented graphically. While I can do some modification, I am not able (time constraint) to create poses and uniforms from scratch (although I do plan on 'trying' to create a confederate butternut uniform). So, the poses will be limited to a mix of the existing ones, having different combinations of uniforms and equipment.

Thanks for everyone's kind words and support!

PS. there is a difference between ADD and ADHD, I am a very calm person, not hyper one bit, but, I do find sticking on one task to be very difficult! :D

McNaughton

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Here's another preview. Some units seen have been touched up since last I posted, others are brand new. As you can see, I have started to mod some Confederate units. Next step is to create a confederate Jacket in Butternut, then I can apply it to a series of uniform poses. I am also going to try a series of different colours for bedrolls.

I am going to divide graphics into East and West. For example, the Union tended to have different uniform criteria in the East than the West (eastern units used forage caps, western units slouch hats, etc.). I am still trying to perfect the 'Hardee Hat' as seen in the 'elite' unit shown above.

PBBoeye
General

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:04 am

Yahoo! Love this stuff. Reminds me of working with SM's 'Gettysburg' and all that. And the Tiller's 'Waterloo'.

I'd love to see a butternut jacket reb. I might jump in on stuff at some point here, and volunteer them. This is the good and easy eye candy.

So McNaughton, you giving CORE a break now?

PBBoeye
General

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:07 pm

What's the status on this graphics mod?

McNaughton

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:13 pm

The status is that I am still heavily working on it and have been so for a long time.

As I work, I find new ways in doing things, making things look more unified, etc., which requires old work to be revisited (I have kept everything up to standard, which takes time), but I think I have reached the end of my 'style development' and am just in the midst of heavy application. I recently compared one of my new graphics, to an example similar to one already posted, and they do look very different.

I am also doing resarch as to the geographical impact on uniforms. For the Union, in the West, very few used the forage cap, while in the East it was almost universal. I have been trying to make variations on the 'slouch hat' so there aren't 6 examples that look exactly the same. Eastern troops had a 'cleaner' appearance than western troops, and am trying to get that represented as well (fewer beards, more equipment on the soldiers, etc.).

The tricky part has been the Confederacy. Creating a uniform that 'looks right' has been tough. An all grey uniform looks a lot like Pyjamas, and I am working on a way to make it look more "militarish", which I think I have finally managed to do. I am still trying to get them to look a little more rough around the collar (patches, scruffy hair and beards, various levels of equipment accessories, etc.). The wide variation will probably result in twice as many graphics for the confederacy (due to the variation in uniform, and quality, from state to state). I am also working on a Confederate Cherokee unit, using a mix of Apache and Confederate cavalry units to create a new combination.

I will post a more contemporary preview at the end of the weekend, possibly resulting in an initial release at the end of the month.

mike1962
Sergeant

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Thats good stuff McNaughton. Looking forward to seeing more!

McNaughton

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:44 pm

Here's a taste of the new units.

The first two are comparing the 'new' and 'original' version of the Confederate Elite Volunteer Regiment.

The next two represent a modification of Infantry-2 'new' to the left, 'original' to the right.

Lastly, the three Union soldiers represent the most current versions of three main poses (the middle Union pose was a new creation).

Other than the Confederate Elite Infantry, I have yet to add beards to the models.

PBBoeye
General

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Spectacular! I can certainly understand the desire for more varied poses. I like what you've done quite a lot.

On the kepis, I've seen some that stand tall on soldiers heads and then those that are a bit 'shorter' or flatter - nearer the top of the skull. Also, perhaps cocking the top (or collapsing) to the side might give you some visual variation.

Well, I certainly appreciate all the effort, including the research.

McNaughton

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 am

PBBoeye wrote:Spectacular! I can certainly understand the desire for more varied poses. I like what you've done quite a lot.

On the kepis, I've seen some that stand tall on soldiers heads and then those that are a bit 'shorter' or flatter - nearer the top of the skull. Also, perhaps cocking the top (or collapsing) to the side might give you some visual variation.

Well, I certainly appreciate all the effort, including the research.

Those were 'McClellan caps' (used for a brief period in 1862, but wore out quickly) and officer caps (more like French Kepis). I will see what I can do, but creating gear from scratch takes time!

I am actually in the final stages of testing out the new Union infantry mod. It is taking a bit of work, since I am adding new graphics (99% done), and models (copies of old, but they won't over-write), but having to edit the units (which will overwrite). I have a 'working' version of the Union set, which automatically inputs into existing scenarios (may mess up PBEM games if both don't have the same files). I figure that the Union should definitely be out by the end of the month, Confederates, I am not as sure about!

I am eventually going to have wholly separate scenario files, so you can use my graphics, as well as have the original graphics and scenarios for PBEM games (for those who like to play official PBEM, but want different experiences for single player).

Eventually I plan to redo auxilliary units (medic, HQ, signal, engineer) for the Confederates and Union, as well as revamp English, French, Mexican and Amerindian graphics as well.

Rafiki

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:28 am

Ambitious! I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Chamberlain
Captain

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Look'in Real Good McNaughton, :)

Can't wait until they are available

Chamberlain

McNaughton

Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I am in the midst of putting the models and units together for a 'test release'.

I am having difficulty with the CSV splitter and making models, so I have to do it with 'txt' files (slower and more prone to errors).

Here are the 'beards'

The first 4 (starting left) are western infantry. The next, with the putees, is the elite infantry, the last three are eastern infantry.

Chamberlain
Captain

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:23 pm

McNaughton

I think one word sums it up :

:) :) Awesome !!! :) :)

Chamberlain

McNaughton

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:21 pm

I have run into a major stumbling block. It seems, no matter what I actually do, even replacing the original Units, the scenarios insist on all 'on map units' to be based on the original ones (even though I over-wrote them).

This completely perplexes me, as I cannot find a solution.

All new builds are using my new graphics and changes, but, the units that start the scenarios insist on using the original graphics.

I have tried to figure out the CSV splitter, but, to no avail. Nothing works, as I just keep on ending up with errors, or junk files.

It will probably be another week before I can get anything out, was hoping today, but this will completely stop my work.

EDIT: - I have managed to figure out the XLS / CSV conversion, had to edit my settings. However, I still haven't figured out what is happening with the scenarios, why they are insisting on using the old Brigades (designating old models, that I am no longer using), even though these 'old Brigades' were completely overwitten!

Shudder!

McNaughton

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Ok, I think I figured it out.

I have to create new scenarios, as there is something hard coded in the original scenarios. If you build units using the old scenarios, they appear as my modificiations. However, the scenarios appear to have some integrated hardcoded aspect of the original scearios that use integrated Units and Models for all starting units (something that I have not found in my prodding).

Looking at the Leader Optimization Project files, it appears that every time we create a scenario, the units on the map are 'created' differently (i.e., they appear via a starting event that puts everything in place, rather than some hard coded 'thing' as the original scenarios appear to have).

While I am not entirely sure, I think that the only way in my mod working is to create new scenarios for it. I was going to do it anyway, but was hoping to get this little preview out before August.

McNaughton

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Works 100% in a new scenario!

Toten
Private

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Great news! I am looking forward to using your excellent mod. Thanks for all the work your doing.

PBBoeye
General

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:47 am

Just incredible.

McNaugton = Great Modder (your reputation precedes you, though few here if any know of your work elsewhere, I think)...

Pssssttt ---> PBBoeye = PhilK

PhilThib

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:20 pm

What would be nice would be to receive each individual new graphic, along with an idea to which model it corresponds. I could then adapt them for a next patch :coeurs:

McNaughton

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Here's the latest on the Confederates. They are taking a lot longer to sort out than the Union.

As you may notice, I have darkened the jacket and did some other major changes. I am not as happy with the confederates as the union (since there is such a wide variety in uniform standardization).

Currently, this group is of very neatly dressed variations (other work will show more 'rugged' appearances) plus they are almost all clean shaven, and wearing forage caps. I plan on adding slouch hats, plus some beards once the basic models have been sorted out.

From Left to Right.

1) This is the latest incarnation of the Confederate 'elite' infantry.

2) This is a basic infantryman.

3) This is a variation of a Confederate Marine (am toying with the idea of having dark blue pants instead).

4 & 5) The basic Infantryman with a long coat. Various pant styles and colours were used throughout the war.

6) Used early in the war, the Havelock (white forage cap covering) adds some interest to this Sergeant (based on a Louisiana example). These would be a variation on an early Confederate Conscript. Also, this shows the Grey-Grey uniform.

7) I am not happy with this last one, the blue and grey conflict a lot, yet, many Confederates wore official union army sky blue pants. I may have to add some grey to the pants to make the uiforms fit. Many Confederates had sky blue pants, but I want to work out a colour combination that works.

Phil, I will let you know about things the further along the work gets.

PBBoeye
General

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Snazzy. Yes, the May 1861 Soldier Lovefest uniforms! Looks nice. I like the blue pants, as well as the light coloured ones.

Too bad we can't have various units change their images as the war progresses.

EDIT: got sick of the CSA militia unit that looks like he's Mexican (#5). So I wiped out a hybrid of 5 & 6. I'll get to the upsized 'Unit' pic (this is the 'portrait' image) in awhile.
Attachments
New CSA #5 Militia.png
Old CSA Mexican Militia.png

McNaughton

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:10 am

PBBoeye wrote:Snazzy. Yes, the May 1861 Soldier Lovefest uniforms! Looks nice. I like the blue pants, as well as the light coloured ones.

Too bad we can't have various units change their images as the war progresses.

EDIT: got sick of the CSA militia unit that looks like he's Mexican (#5). So I wiped out a hybrid of 5 & 6. I'll get to the upsized 'Unit' pic (this is the 'portrait' image) in awhile.

Very cool, one of my initial changes and inspirations was some portraits (those large hats were a particular peculiarity). I found some of the poses to be odd than others. Some of the British, French and Mexican portraits were actually significantly 'chubbier' than their American counterparts, and all of the soldiers carrying rifles on their shoulders are actually smaller scale than the other American soldiers (heads look disproportionate).

Indeed, the 'Mexican Hat' is actually a slouch hat, but I think it has been elongated to an extreme extent (one of my first modificaitons was downscaling the slouch hat, but then abandoned it to a complete revision).

Actually, you CAN have unit changes over time, and I plan to implement them in the mod.

If you look at the models file you see three levels of 'volunteer infantry'.

1 Conscript
2 Early
3 Late

When Early upgrades to late via event (by 1863 the chance becomes 100%) you get a new graphic (except when you form units in a division, you get the 'original' grahpic for some reason).

Also, you can have descriptions for units just like biograhpies for leaders (I plan to add these in here as well, stating the general equipment used, etc.).

PBBoeye
General

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 am

I really wish we had a good slouch hat. I want to go through all the units of each side and see what 'heads' look like options for swaps.

Making the various images in the 3 different sizes/apps is annoying. Doing the large full-body image is easy. Getting all the placements for the UNITS and MODEL versions takes some time to get a routine down, after finishing the learning curve. :fleb:

EDIT: Reinforcements have arrived, sir! *salute*

Here are the original backup files and the new unit files. Just drag&drop into the Graphics directory.
Attachments
New CSA Militia.zip
(27.92 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Original CSA Mil5.zip
(25.75 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

PBBoeye
General

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:55 am

We also need some non-kepi hatted leaders.

Just a little thought on getting some more 'flavor', although many players would do without this, and I can understand that.

Added a partial crew member (haven't finished the ramrod).

Return to “AACW Mods”