gchristie
Brigadier General

I'm in

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm willing to help test version 2.0 of SVF.

Regards,

George
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Athens
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks. I will inform you when it will be ready.

You may post here about the current most recurrent stregnht and blunders of the AI in AACW. It will help me tremendously to spot easily what to fix in priority.

I don't live here anymore, but I will keep an eye on this thread :)

And if you feel waiting to be boring, you may try FY :D
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Athens wrote:Thanks. I will inform you when it will be ready.

You may post here about the current most recurrent stregnht and blunders of the AI in AACW. It will help me tremendously to spot easily what to fix in priority.

I don't live here anymore, but I will keep an eye on this thread :)

And if you feel waiting to be boring, you may try FY :D

Yes, I will suggest Fatal Years..if you are a masochist ;-) No, seriously, some good changes in the game. Fun and challenging to play.

Athens
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Yes, I will suggest Fatal Years..if you are a masochist ;-)

Do you know you may choose for AI private level, giving to AI penalties for moves and during battles? :D

I'm kidding. in your last game, you have taken advantage over the Whites, even if from time to time... ;)

I play myself at Sergeant level with +2 bonus in detection. But I know rather well Athena's habits ;) And of course, any human player will sooner or later beat the FY AI. it remains an AI, a little better than a pushover and far worse than human.

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Carnium

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 am

Hiya Athens.
Glad to see your return to the "roots" = AACW :coeurs:
Recently I felt the need to play AACW again with the recent patch and was horrified to see how bad the AI is in defending/keeping its OWN key objectives.
Even if I consider myself a BAD strategist I was able to take Washington when playing as the CSA in 1862 as the whole active Union eastern army stacks were around Harpers Ferry trying to attack Richmond. Game over in 1862....
Something similar happened to the CSA AI as Richmond was easy to take as the AI was too busy in the Western theatre....
Hopefully your mod will/can fix this ;)

bk6583
Lieutenant

Which Scenario Do I Load for Your Mod?

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Yes, there's only one scenario for SVF, the April campaign. Do youhave others?

Clovis,

Just getting back to this game after several years now with Windows7 (your mod just simply CTD'd all the time with Vista). Hate to ask a really dumb question but when I load the game, your mod really is only the Apr 1861 Full Campaign?

charlesonmission

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:55 am

Clovis only did April 1861 as it is loads of work to setup each scenario (he sadi this in a post somewhere). SVF is still being worked on by him (see his posts above); I don't think the current version is stable (I couldn't get it to work past 62 or 63).

Charles

bk6583 wrote:Clovis,

Just getting back to this game after several years now with Windows7 (your mod just simply CTD'd all the time with Vista). Hate to ask a really dumb question but when I load the game, your mod really is only the Apr 1861 Full Campaign?

Athens
Brigadier General

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi,

I should have followed the new trend of deleting all my precedent posts :D

SVF 1.1 isn't anymore supported by me, and is by all accounts incompatible with the latest AACW beta.

SVF 2.0 should be ready either at the end of the next week or the following one, as FY (my mod for RUS) has needed a bit more final work than I expected ( but it's now really working great and I've learnt so much tricks with AI and script language with SVF 2.0 will be yet better).

For many reasons, my presence here is more and more shadowy. You will in any case get more news either at my blog, or on the Matrixgames forum for AACW.

Thanks anyway to all. I don't mod for you, as I'm modding only to get for myself a better game experience, but I need to reach this point players input, ideas, remarks, critics and interest as game design must always be nourished both by players feedback and play by designer himself. A game designed without being played will be poor ( there's a recent example) but a mod designed only for you will be poor too.

Seee you soon elesewhere. :)

Note this post will not be removed in one week by myself. There are more useful things to do than ...that.

bk6583
Lieutenant

Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:28 pm

I don't think the current version is stable (I couldn't get it to work past 62 or 63).

Oh for crying out loud. Coupled with Athens' post let me see if understand this. After several years (and having bought a new PC with Windows 7) I really wanted to get back to AACW and in particular Clovis' SFV mod, which seemed to go a long way in correcting many facets of the vanilla AACW, including correcting a really stupid AI. Now from your comment I get the impression that playing the SFV mod will be an exercise in futility, i.e., CTDs in '62 or '63 (which was the problem I originally experienced with SVF but had attributed to Vista). However, now there's an SVF 2.0 around the corner that I may able to play?

Athens
Brigadier General

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Yes.

I 've just implemented today a new AI trick which should help AI to be clever at sending units to theaters where it starts an offensive. :)

SVF 2.0 AI should be much better than SVF 1.0 AI. In all honesty, the official AI has progressed too, and by a wide margin. My AI works too since SVF 1.0. After all, one FY player has started a new game because he guessed he was losing against Red AI :cool:

charlesonmission

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:04 am

In one word, that was my experience. ( I didn't get CTDs, but the turns would get stuck). However, I think the next release is just a couple weeks away. Well worth the wait!

Charles

bk6583 wrote:Oh for crying out loud. Coupled with Athens' post let me see if understand this. After several years (and having bought a new PC with Windows 7) I really wanted to get back to AACW and in particular Clovis' SFV mod, which seemed to go a long way in correcting many facets of the vanilla AACW, including correcting a really stupid AI. Now from your comment I get the impression that playing the SFV mod will be an exercise in futility, i.e., CTDs in '62 or '63 (which was the problem I originally experienced with SVF but had attributed to Vista). However, now there's an SVF 2.0 around the corner that I may able to play?

jennison
Sergeant

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Bummer that this version isn't stable.. I'm only patched to 1.15 in hopes that it will work, but I'm already getting crashes 3 turns in.

It's crashing on processing day 15 with "Several errors have been generated and the application is stalling. Please forward to support"

Has anyone seen that before?

Update: I can actually continue if I hit the cancel button. Still kind of inconvenient, but at least I can work around the problem.

von Sachsen
Captain

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 am

jennison wrote:Bummer that this version isn't stable.. I'm only patched to 1.15 in hopes that it will work, but I'm already getting crashes 3 turns in.

It's crashing on processing day 15 with "Several errors have been generated and the application is stalling. Please forward to support"

Has anyone seen that before?

Update: I can actually continue if I hit the cancel button. Still kind of inconvenient, but at least I can work around the problem.

Yep, happens for this version, and by the end of 62(? It's been a while) it will cease to work IIRC. This should of course be fixed for the next version, whenever that is. (Supposed to be a few months ago, then showed progress, though nothing for the last while.)

jennison
Sergeant

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

von Sachsen wrote:Yep, happens for this version, and by the end of 62(? It's been a while) it will cease to work IIRC. This should of course be fixed for the next version, whenever that is. (Supposed to be a few months ago, then showed progress, though nothing for the last while.)

Ah, I should probably stop now then.. lol

Thanks for saving me from the unwelcome surprise in 62.

lodilefty

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:22 pm

traixonia wrote:When I play SVF the ledger doesn't not display any tab except the units tab. How can I fix this or is there an event that activates the ledger?

You'll have to ask the mod builder....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

What happened to the 2.0 beta?

The links at http://moddercorner.com are down. Does somebody have it for download?

If Clovis has abandoned the users should keep this mod alive, by making sure it can be downloaded somewhere. I've seen too many good mods dissappear like this over the years, it's always such a waste :(

Return to “AACW Mods”