Clovis

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Another point, about the AI.

Playing against the AI will never be as much challenging than against another human.

Yes.

but...

The AGE AI is itself amazingly good. In its current state, Ai will build troops, organize in formation, deploy amid several strategical theaters and use them in the operational field. Of course, Ai is unable to get the same efficency level an average player has, it will howewer do these tasks with some efficiency.

Where the AI is acting poorly is interacting with geography and weather. The AGE AI is good in abstract, poor when applied to a peculiar game or scenario. AI doesn't identify by itself key points or seasons.

AI events are just that, learning AI some geographical and seasonal lessons. Generally, these sorts of lesons give a very scripted AI which will play the same game after game, easying the player's task as the human will learn how to counter AI moves.

Not in AGE, and not in SVF. AI has recurrent patterns of course. But AGE AI will first choose sometimes for a stack another missions than the most valued. Then I built events giving AI various agression or objectives values. Sometimes, AI will take offensives in winter, sometimes not, etc. So AI will do errors, but I'm pretty confident you will have much more difficulties to predict the next moves. And this uncertainty in the end will stregnten the AI value.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

andatiep

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Clovis wrote:Another point, about the AI.
[..]

I'm sorry if i looked like arrogant on the AI works you did.
I know AI is very important for training beginners and for all the people who like to play only against AI (in fact most of the people since they are probably the majority).

Personnally, i give up with the debate to know if AI is good enough in a game or if it is better or not than humans.
I just prefer playing against humans for the roleplay around, the possible AARs and the feeling that i'm not playing against a machine. I also feel like when the AI does not make anymore mistakes in a geopolitical simulation game, the game start to be unrealistic : History is made up with our humans' mistakes. It's not "scientifical" chess games.
But this is subjective opinion anyway so it doesn't matter.

About modding documentation, i understand it need time.
Beside, i just hope that when you'll finish the work with the AI, you'll have time to let us a log file with the exact list of the changes from the 1.15 patch.

Thanks again, :hat:
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Gray_Lensman

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm

deleted

andatiep

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:And when would you like this Encyclopedia delivered?

:mdr:

(Sorry Clovis. No offense, I could not help myself) :D

:neener: , well, i want it at least just before Clovis crush my head like the vase of Soissons... :turc:

:p apy: But i precize that i'm talking about a checklist of the changes, not about an article for each change with the history of the changes, the way it is done, etc.
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Clovis

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:15 pm

andatiep wrote:I'm sorry if i looked like arrogant on the AI works you did.
I know AI is very important for training beginners and for all the people who like to play only against AI (in fact most of the people since they are probably the majority).

Personnally, i give up with the debate to know if AI is good enough in a game or if it is better or not than humans.
I just prefer playing against humans for the roleplay around, the possible AARs and the feeling that i'm not playing against a machine. I also feel like when the AI does not make anymore mistakes in a geopolitical simulation game, the game start to be unrealistic : History is made up with our humans' mistakes. It's not "scientifical" chess games.
But this is subjective opinion anyway so it doesn't matter.

About modding documentation, i understand it need time.
Beside, i just hope that when you'll finish the work with the AI, you'll have time to let us a log file with the exact list of the changes from the 1.15 patch.

Thanks again, :hat:

Oh no your post wasn't arrogant, I just wanted to talk about AGE AI :)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Work on the CSA AI is over for now. I've begun to work on Union AI. So i should post in the next few days a 1.1 version in a new thread.

BTW, if Pelok could send me his modded files...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:47 pm

OK. Last update before the 1.1 version here.
Attachments
SVF3.zip
(161.45 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
SVF2.zip
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
SVF1.zip
(884.47 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
SVF0.zip
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Pelok
Corporal

Portraits

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 pm

I use these ones. Extract the mdl into the models folder and the portraits to the graphic/armies and the graphic/units folders. Division Hqs changed to "generic" and I downloaded all of the new portraits from the general graphic forum (Thank guys for the brilliant work!) Some generals remained "faceless" but the most importants and the early ones has portrait.

Clovis, what's new in your mod?

Good night!
Attachments
Portraits2.zip
(3.85 MiB) Downloaded 284 times
Portraits1.zip
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 305 times
Mdls.zip
(822 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Pelok
Corporal

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:01 am

Clovis, can you tell me what's the difference between the two types of transport units (ocean)?

Clovis

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:26 am

Pelok wrote:Clovis, can you tell me what's the difference between the two types of transport units (ocean)?

some events fixes.

Commercial transports are needed for shipping box but have no transport ability. They just will give money or WSU when placed in the shipping box.

Transport have may board troops and will carry supply when in the shipping box ttrought the atlantic.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Pelok
Corporal

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:28 am

Thank you.

Clovis

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:28 am

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:29 am

Pelok wrote:I use these ones. Extract the mdl into the models folder and the portraits to the graphic/armies and the graphic/units folders. Division Hqs changed to "generic" and I downloaded all of the new portraits from the general graphic forum (Thank guys for the brilliant work!) Some generals remained "faceless" but the most importants and the early ones has portrait.

Clovis, what's new in your mod?

Good night!

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Couple of suggestions for the mod package:

1. Why not combine the 4 downloads into just 1 download?

2. In SVF0, I believe the "struggle for a vast future mod" folder is excess baggage and can be removed.

3. Adding a new first line to the Struggle.bat file to delete any old "struggle for a vast future mod" folder would keep things cleaner:

rd "Struggle for a vast future mod" /s/q

read: Remove Directory "Struggle for a vast future mod" , delete any files & Subfolders, don't ask any Questions.

Clovis

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:51 pm

willgamer wrote:Couple of suggestions for the mod package:

1. Why not combine the 4 downloads into just 1 download?

2. In SVF0, I believe the "struggle for a vast future mod" folder is excess baggage and can be removed.

3. Adding a new first line to the Struggle.bat file to delete any old "struggle for a vast future mod" folder would keep things cleaner:

rd "Struggle for a vast future mod" /s/q

read: Remove Directory "Struggle for a vast future mod" , delete any files & Subfolders, don't ask any Questions.

1) simply because the Ageod forum has size limits for files

2) I know, but for some it has a nice psychological effect ;)

3) good idea but it will too erase the saved games.

Thanks!!
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Willard
Private

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:34 am

Clovis -

Found the downloads for your great mod.
I was able to install, but am getting a serious error upon start-up.
Is there any assistance you can provide?
Thanks,

Willard
[color="Red"]Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one.[/color]

What I am not looking forward to is the "we can always release a patch later" quality control that has crippled the PC gaming industry. If I wanted a job as a game debugger, I would have paid more attention in math class.

Clovis

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Willard wrote:Clovis -

Found the downloads for your great mod.
I was able to install, but am getting a serious error upon start-up.
Is there any assistance you can provide?
Thanks,

Willard

send me the main log file in the svf/ log folder
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Willard
Private

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Clovis wrote:send me the main log file in the svf/ log folder

Email sent to the email listed in the SVF documents.
Thanks!
[color="Red"]Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one.[/color]

What I am not looking forward to is the "we can always release a patch later" quality control that has crippled the PC gaming industry. If I wanted a job as a game debugger, I would have paid more attention in math class.

Clovis

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Willard wrote:Email sent to the email listed in the SVF documents.
Thanks!

Oops! E-mail no more valid. send it to pala.pala@hotmail.fr
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:59 am

Clovis wrote:
3) good idea but it will too erase the saved games.

Thanks!!

Actually, I was thinking erasing them would be an advantage since problems are frequently a result of using a saved game. Perhaps you might consider just adding a notice in the instructions that saved games will be erased and let the user, if so inclined, take extra steps to save.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 am

Well, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and installing SVF over it. 3 times. The Struggle for a vast future\Settings folder does not install. It's in the right directory and everything. Plus, I checked the command prompt-like thing and it said a few folders couldn't be found. They seem to have installed OK, though.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm looking at your post from last week that had the pic of your directory.

If you delete the "struggle for a vast future" folder, then run (double click) on the struggle batch file, do you see hundreds of files being copied into a new "struggle for a vast future" folder (&subfolders)?

No=problem

If yes, what are you seeing when you run SVF1? SVF2? SVF3? How are you responding to the message boxes?

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Yes: click "installer" for all 3.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 am

All 3 SVFx ran for a while modifing files, right?

My "struggle for a vast future mod" folder is about 1.02 GB, containing 88 folders and 10,587 files. Does your folder look about the same at this point?

If you start AACW, does the upper right hand corner reflect the mod?

Do you still experience the previous problems?

Degataga
Private

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 am

For what it's worth I'm having the same problem. Well maybe not the exact same problem since I have a Settings folder but I get the same "insufficient memory" error message and crash at start-up.

Clovis should I send you the main log file or do you already have a copy of this problem?

Clovis

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Degataga wrote:For what it's worth I'm having the same problem. Well maybe not the exact same problem since I have a Settings folder but I get the same "insufficient memory" error message and crash at start-up.

Clovis should I send you the main log file or do you already have a copy of this problem?

No. Send me your file please

For the record, I've just made a fresh install of the mod on my computer with the files I've posted in this thread. The mod works flawesssly.

In any case:

1) check if your AACW path is the default one
2) if you're running vista, disable the UAC
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 am

I did. I suppose part of the problem is that even the vanilla "AGE settings" thing doesn't work right on my computer.

Degataga
Private

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:58 am

Clovis wrote:No. Send me your file please

For the record, I've just made a fresh install of the mod on my computer with the files I've posted in this thread. The mod works flawesssly.

In any case:

1) check if your AACW path is the default one
2) if you're running vista, disable the UAC

Alright e-mail sent.

I'm sure it has something to do with my 64-bit Vista since I used to be able to play SVF fine on XP but I definitely installed with UAC off and everything should be in the right place and I still get the problem so maybe it's something else?

Thought I did have real quick is that my vanilla AACW install was when the UAC was still on which might have an impact. I wouldn't think so since I can play vanilla AACW fine but I've really given up on trying to understand Vista. :bonk:

Any light you can shed would be very appreciated as is your the awesome mod. :)

Clovis

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 am

Degataga wrote:Alright e-mail sent.

I'm sure it has something to do with my 64-bit Vista since I used to be able to play SVF fine on XP but I definitely installed with UAC off and everything should be in the right place and I still get the problem so maybe it's something else?

Thought I did have real quick is that my vanilla AACW install was when the UAC was still on which might have an impact. I wouldn't think so since I can play vanilla AACW fine but I've really given up on trying to understand Vista. :bonk:

Any light you can shed would be very appreciated as is your the awesome mod. :)

Looked at your file.

SVF installation first copies all files of the game in the SVF directory then unzip the SVF files. In your case, for some reasons, the fist step isn't done. I suspect Vista is prohibiting copy.

Posible solution:

1) erase your SVF directory
2) unzip SVF0
3) Do a copy of AACW directory into SVF one
4) Don't run the batch files. Run SVF1, SVF2 and SVF3 directly, click on "installer" .
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Well, I did that. And the game crashed. For some reason, SVF doesn't like my computer. Would attaching the msinfo.nfo or dxdiag.txt files help?

Return to “AACW Mods”