soloswolf
General of the Army

Editing Leaders

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 am

Hi all,

Can I edit leader stats and abilities without generating a new model? (For clarity: Can I just edit a text file? And if so, where would I find that file?)

Thanks!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Pocus

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 am

yes, you go to GameData\models

delete models.cache first

then edit a .mdl file as you wish

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PanzerHue
Private

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:10 am

Pocus wrote:yes, you go to GameData\models

delete models.cache first

then edit a .mdl file as you wish

Hi,
First of all thanx for a great game and an inspirering forum.
Im interested in editing some leaders but as the NOOB I am, I cant figure out what "delete models.cache" means.
Could someone please help me?
Best regards...

OneArmedMexican
General

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 am

PanzerHue wrote:Hi,
Im interested in editing some leaders but as the NOOB I am, I cant figure out what "delete models.cache" means.
Could someone please help me?
Best regards...

At the bottom of the "Models" folder (GameData\Models), you will see one big file called "models.cached". In order for any changes in the model files to stick you have to delete this file manually. In this single file all the data from the individual mdl files is compiled. The game reads this compilation file rather than the individual mdl files. If you delete it, a new updated models.cache is created automatically once you load the game anew.

However one remark: I only know models.cache files from RUS and RoP. I don't believe ACW even has a models.cache unless the developpers have introduced it in the latest patch. :confused:

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:38 am

deleted

PanzerHue
Private

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi,
Thanx for the fast replies.
Im running 1.15 and have no cache in my models. I have tried changing (with notepad) some of the mdl.-files but nothing shows in the game.
Is there another way I can change the leader stats etc.?
Best regards...

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:34 pm

deleted

OneArmedMexican
General

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:No other way. Also I think you have to start a new game to see any changes.

You don't have to start a new game. Just start ACW again and load your existing savegame. Changes in the mdl files will show up: changed leader stats, leader graphics and even changed names it all works immediately.

Here are two guesses as to why you are experiencing troubles with modding the mdl right now: You might be working with Vista or Windows 7? Did you remove the overwrite protection from the mdl files?

PanzerHue
Private

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm

hi 1arm mex,
thanx for you reply.
true; im on vista and i have removed the overwrite protection now. but i still cant see the changes i have made (simple strategic rating change of mcclellan to se if it was working). im using notepad, maybe thats the problem (?)
best regards...

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm

There are about 4 different McLellan models so make sure you have altered the one that is appearing in game.

Its usually a good idea to reboot as well :)

S! EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PanzerHue
Private

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:changed leader stats, leader graphics and even changed names it all works immediately.

hi,
again thanx for the replies.
i have tried changing some leader-stats and its working fine. the only thing that dosent show up in-game is the changed names. not on the map nor in the unit-info does it show the new name (only the "short name" has changed).
any one know how to make these changes?

best regards...

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Panzerhue: Make all your leaders 7-7-7s? Win every time. LOL. t

OneArmedMexican
General

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm

PanzerHue wrote:hi,
the only thing that dosent show up in-game is the changed names. not on the map nor in the unit-info does it show the new name (only the "short name" has changed).
any one know how to make these changes?

best regards...

That is something I only tried out once with a misspelled name. But here is a guess: Names are contained in four different files. The scenario and event files on the one hand and the unit and model files on the other hand.
Make sure to change the name in both the unit and mdl files! You don't need to change events and scenarios however. The only minor annoyance being leaders in command of a division. In that case, changes made in the unit and mdl files won't be visible until you break the division into its pieces.

By the way, whom do you want to get into the game? ;)

PanzerHue
Private

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:57 am

Hi 1Arm-Mex,

Thanx a lot! it works perfectly as you described.
Brig. Gen. J. B. Robertson (Texas-Bgd) is the one I want to enter the game - I try switch him for Hindman (cant find out what to do with him).
Again thanx for the help.

Best regards...

Return to “AACW Mods”