Manuele II
Civilian

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:37 am

Here are some ideas I was thinking about an eventual new game

First of all, I want to beg you pardon for my not perfect english;

1)About the gameplay: mantain both victory points and the possibility of not being stuck with one nation only, but changing the way how this can occur. I don't know if someone here knows a very old game called Medieval Lords: Soldier Kings of Europe. Well, in that game, you play the figure of a noble minister who advice the king or duke or whatelse and chose what's best for his country. The good thing was that, after a tot of years, you could choose to move in another place and so change nation. Point were made by doing succesful action or conquer; in GI 2 that could be traduced in fulfilling historical objective of the chosen country. You compete against other nobles by gaining victory points and, at the end of the game, a score table is made in order to see who is the winner. ( this gameplay could help to allow the new nations to be chosen without playing a proper scenario and to help the player to concentrate himself on only one nation).

2) Introduce internal politic as follow: in the Late Antiquity and the High Medieval era one of the most important things was the relationship between the aristocratic members (both laic and ecclesiastical and barbarian or roman; but expecially the episcopate) with the new royal court. So, for example, adding the possibility to negotiate with your nobles by promoting them as bishop in the region, granting them fiscal exemption for example, thus gaining the control of piece of land. (losing income for stability). Or the chance for emanating laws pro or equal or also against the roman citizen either gaining income or stability on what you choose.
Other things could be the type of government that you can choose with differences: for example the Byzantine Empire was civilized so it could have a permanent army and in danger times also a call to army(high cost more tactical less man); while a Longobard Kingdom prefer to relieve to his dukes on a army creation.(low cost less tactical more man). Etc...

Sorry again for my bad english,

Greets

Rafiki

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:46 am

Manuele II wrote:First of all, I want to beg you pardon for my not perfect english;
(...)
Sorry again for my bad english,

Hi Manuele II, and welcome to the forums :)

I just wanted to let you know that there is no need for you (or anyone else) to apologize. These forums are multinational, and it is a given that there are many here that don't have English as their primary language, or French or Spanish for that matter :)

Besides, reading your post, I wonder where you got the idea that your English is bad in any way; seems quite alright to me :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Barnacle Bill
Civilian

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 am

This is an old thread, but I'll post anyway.

I'm very interested in this era, and would be willing to contribute if it ever gets off the ground.

Regarding improvements over the original, I'd like to see rebellions in the Roman Empire more dynamic & less scripted. For sure the Empire was very unstable, but I'm thinking a character system like PI's Rome that would make who rebels when more dynamic.

Anyway, I hope the game happens.

Blublub
Civilian

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:24 am

Also sorry for posting in such an old thread, but would also LOVE to see a GI 2 (particularly turn-based) and would happily volunteer to help out any way I could...

Boores
Private

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I think that an AGEOD game about Punic Wars time or Dark Ages with the Rise of Prusia engine for example, turn based, and with the wonderfull unit art that AGEOD have, will be a perfect comercial sucess. Games about Ancient Time are very sold, like Field of Glory ( tactic game), Legion, Total War series, E.U.Rome, Hannibal vs Carthage ( this have a problem because only accept one side to play "Cathage" and hasn´t multiplayer).
People who likes history, usually have a similar profile, and like PBEM instead TCP/IP, and accuracy on history data. PBEM + Accuracy on History Data = AGEOD ;)

Cheers :)

Sanz de Acedo
Private

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Blublub wrote:Also sorry for posting in such an old thread, but would also LOVE to see a GI 2 (particularly turn-based) and would happily volunteer to help out any way I could...

A turn-based GI2 could be a great game!! :thumbsup:

PhilThib

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes, for sure...what would be the best turn scale? One month per turn?

Remember, GI covers almost 700 years ;)

The game could be valid only with a few 'small campaigns' of 70-100 years (over a 1000 turns each!!) and some specific campaigns :D

Sanz de Acedo
Private

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

PhilThib wrote:Yes, for sure...what would be the best turn scale? One month per turn?

Remember, GI covers almost 700 years ;)

The game could be valid only with a few 'small campaigns' of 70-100 years (over a 1000 turns each!!) and some specific campaigns :D

I was thinking in small and local campaigns, of course. The main problem in GI, for me, was that the game and the factions were to big to handle it. But I could love a game that recreate the first era Bizantine Empire wars, until the crusades (for this time, I have Crusader Kings :D ), or viking invasions, or muslim invasions in Spain or the wars before and after Charlemagne in center Europe.

Each one had different reasons, different protagonists, could be many fun to play with, but are systematically forgotten by games developers. Except, of course, you :thumbsup: .

Sorry for my english...

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:40 am

PhilThib: You are HOOKED!! Good luck finding someone like Gray Lensman to head this project. I'll buy. t

Palpat
Colonel

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:28 am

I still think a real-time, Europa-like game is the best choice. Especially for people like me who like to play grand campaign from the beginning to the end.

JMass
Corporal

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:51 pm

PhilThib wrote:Yes, for sure...what would be the best turn scale? One month per turn?

Seasonal turns with a system that integrates movement and combat, one administrative-build phase the first turn of every year. I really don't like RT games and GI is my only exception.

I don't care about to play the long campaign, I prefer to play specific campaigns like the GI scenarios.
"Oh my lords, my brothers, my sons, the everlasting honour of Christians is in your hands."
[SIZE="1"]Αυτοκράτορ Κωνσταντίνος ΙΑ' Δραγάσης Παλαιολόγος[/size]

Now playing, testing or modding: AJE-BoR, Ancient Warfare, CMBN, CMFI, CTGW, FoG, RUS, Squad Battles, WWII-Europe
Idling: a lot of games

cianchet
Conscript

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Hello Philippe,

what about if you had a resource who could just adapt the current RT version to a Turn based version WITHOUT any other change?

PhilThib

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:45 pm

The game engine of GI has some original features that no other game has, but the recent AJE game is a nice adaptation of the AGE engine to the ancient age and I guess something could be done with it, but that would be a year's full time job for a volunteer :bonk:

cianchet
Conscript

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 pm

PhilThib wrote:The game engine of GI has some original features that no other game has, but the recent AJE game is a nice adaptation of the AGE engine to the ancient age and I guess something could be done with it, but that would be a year's full time job for a volunteer :bonk:

Does 'volunteer' mean something like 'working for free'?

PhilThib

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:37 am

cianchet wrote:Does 'volunteer' mean something like 'working for free'?

Yes...and no...tell the AJE team for instance: they are volunteers not paid to do the project, full of talent and passion...and they will get a financial return of their efforts directly proportional to the game's sales...

Moncajo
Conscript

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 pm

I think its brilliant games. It's almost a new art form. But back to the subject, just out of curiosity, what would be the team size and proportionality in the distribution of profits in the games? Google Translation - I am from Brazil.

Moncajo
Conscript

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 pm

PhilThib wrote:Yes...and no...tell the AJE team for instance: they are volunteers not paid to do the project, full of talent and passion...and they will get a financial return of their efforts directly proportional to the game's sales...

I think its brilliant games. It's almost a new art form. But back to the subject, just out of curiosity, what would be the team size and proportionality in the distribution of profits in the games? Google Translation - I am from Brazil.

PhilThib

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:40 pm

The team is made of 4 guys and they share 25% each of the net receipt (after payment of distributor and engine roylaty)

Moriety
Major

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I'd love to see this, but in charge of a single nation, on the other hand I'd love to see a PoN II even more, or both even.... :)
The one thing I can offer is lots of time, but no programming or graphics skills, but, A little "how to do this" and I could be useful. Research I'd have no problem with either.
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Math2
Conscript

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I'd love to see this as well

Return to “Great Invasions”