alexander seil

Isn't assimilation WAY too fast?

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:06 am

Just a thought...I like the game, but I find one thing game-breaking...if you take careful note, you'll see that every single ethnic (but not religious) minority disappears from the game within literally ten years. And yes, I raised this issue before...

My point is that, for the most part, the major cities in the Near East, for example, were THOROUGHLY Greek. They operated like Greek cities, etc., to the best of our knowledge, for centuries (in some cases, particularly Antioch, for more than 500 years by the time the game started!). Yet, suddenly, they all start speaking Aramaic/Syriac within ten years of game start. That's messed up :tournepas

Is there any way to at least mod this and slow down assimilation?

EDIT: It is very worthwhile to note that in the Near East, from 1 AD to 300 AD, the real trend was, in fact, towards assimilation of the *majority* to Greek cultural norms. We have no evidence of any Hellenistic city populations suddenly turning "Semitic". It was almost universally the other way around - provincial territory slowly spread, native languages went out of use, and in some rural areas, there was a change from Aramaic and other Semitic languages to Greek in this period.

calvinus

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:34 am

You are right, and you are not the only one that noticed this side problem. I do not remember if there is some parameter inside the GameRules.csv game DB that can be tweaked for this issue...

alexander seil

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:04 pm

I've looked through the scenario and rules files, and sadly couldn't find anything that would tweak that. I'm afraid that someone has to dig up that part of the code and fix it.

calvinus

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:19 pm

That "someone" can be only me, but there's no time to work on it now. :8o:

Return to “Great Invasions”