Evans
Private

In a spot of confusion...

Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:26 pm

This is another help thread for a newbie, but it's a question that I can't find an answer for (i.e. yes I know why the tutorial anchor was grayed out ;) ). Basically my problem is this - I have a barbarian tribe, the Alemani in the main campaign. I find it very easy to take a sizeable chunk out of the Western Empire at the start what with all the revolts (just beeline for Padua and they'll be begging for peace).

However, I now control 5 provinces but am unable to do anything about becoming a Kingdom. Also, I can't do anything with my Hordes in terms of settling down in provinces. Which is all very confusing, and TBH it makes me wonder if my game is even working correctly. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling, but if that doesn't work I hope someone can help me here!

PhilThib

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:19 pm

I believe there is a minimum time you have to wait before converting a Barbarian into a Kingdom... 5 years IIRC... an may be a minimal age condition is triggered extra by mistake...ask Calvinus ;)

Evans
Private

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Hopefully he'll see this thread :) I'll try waiting 5 years and see how that works out for me!

calvinus

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:34 am

Hi, herewith some informations concerning the status change, coming directly from the GameRules DB:

LV1 20 Nation Age conversion factor (n years mean 1 nation age point increase)
LV2 4 Minimum amount of nation age points to make a status voluntary change
LV3 3 Minimum amount of nation age points to have a status mandatory change when the territory size limits have been reached
LV4 12 Max amount of age points a nation can cumulate
LV5 15 When a nation has reached the max amount of age points (see LV4), after n years she has to change status (Kingdom,Empire,Collapse!)
LV6 4 Minimum number of provinces a nation must control in order to perform a voluntary status change to Kingdom (see also LV2)
LV7 6 Minimum number of provinces a nation must control in order to have a mandatory status change to Kingdom (see also LV3)
LV8 10 Minimum number of provinces a nation must control in order to perform a voluntary status change to Empire (see also LV2)
LV9 15 Minimum number of provinces a nation must control in order to have a mandatory status change to Empire (see also LV3)

I hope this will be helpful. ;)

Evans
Private

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:13 pm

So if I'm reading right, I need to have an age of 2 and >4 provinces to voluntarily change, and an age of 3 and >6 provinces to force a mandatory change? That makes sense, as the Alemani start at age 1 :) In that case I'll just try as best I can to plunder my way through Gaul until I can set up a kingdom somewhere defensible.

I also tried playing on a slower setting and have to say the AI improves drastically (my first attempt I ripped easy chunks off the Romans, second and third attempts on slower speeds and they've fought back a lot more effectively, stacks of 5 Romans are nasty!)

PhilThib

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Remember also that, as a Barbarian, you control only provinces you have forces in...if you conquer one, and leave it afterwards, you just lose it ;)
... and always protect the horde :D

Return to “Great Invasions”