bstarr
Private

One more Aging question

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Sorry to be such a bother, but I'm still having trouble understanding aging. I'm playing the long game, historic setting, as the red player. Three times now I've ended up with the eastern roman empire rocketing up to Age lvl 3 in about 15 years. I assume I'm doing something wrong since the Eastern Roman Empire is only lvl 2 at the start of a later scenario that begins in the next century. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Is rapid growth detrimental to a country's Age? In two of the three games I managed to add large tracts of land to the Eastern Roman Empire (four provinces in one game, six in another) and in the last game I added one or two provinces.

Could it be the revolts? I sometimes forget to visit each revolting province to revert them back to my rule. In one particular case I had a province go something like six years before I noticed it.

Or am I simply reading too much into the age level? Maybe this rapid aging is offset by something later in the game that reduces aging - sort of like an Imperial Botox Stratagem. :)

thanks,
Byron

ps. I've also noticed a small problem with churches and cathedrals. The rules say that you must have a church present to build a cathedral, but this is actually reversed in the game. You can only build a cathedral if you don't have a church.

PhilThib

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:27 pm

There is nothing worse with that aging speed or level...surely the revolt is a key factor, may be (most likely) you do not do enough of administration with your ruler... :confused:

Age at start of various scenarios also includes effects of historical events and rulers, so it can't be compared with a linear grand campaign... ;)

bstarr
Private

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:51 pm

PhilThib wrote:There is nothing worse with that aging speed or level...surely the revolt is a key factor, may be (most likely) you do not do enough of administration with your ruler... :confused:

Age at start of various scenarios also includes effects of historical events and rulers, so it can't be compared with a linear grand campaign... ;)

Thanks, that really does help. I've been using 75% tax rate and maximum AP points, but I'm sure that two of the games, maybe all three, had at least one revolt controlled province that I simply forgot about (no revolt units were present, but the province had been last occupied by revolutionaries) that's probably going to be my main problem.

Outstanding game. I love a game that challenges me, and this one certainly fits the bill.

Return to “Great Invasions”