joram
Private

No background for some menu's

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Some of the menus (or pop-ups if you call them that) have no background and don't seem to have it's options clickable. For instance, hitting escape to bring up the system menu does this. Therefore I have no way of exiting the game except control-alt-del. Sometimes an event pop-up does this too. I have the latest DirectX and Divx drivers and my video drivers are no more than a couple months old. I do have a dual-screen setup and wonder if that might be part of the problem but that would be unique to this game then.

Any ideas? I want to like the game but it's virtually unplayable right now.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Hmmm, deja vu...see the "First" thread!

It's interesting you mention dual screen...I have a CRT monitor I sometimes plug in to my laptop for photo work, so I am set up to toggle between screens...although I never use both at once. So, maybe a common link...? I dunno.

joram
Private

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 am

Well, I have a 7800 GS which I see has some known issues though I'm not seeing our particular issue. The logo actually loads up fine. Then I disabled the logo anyway and it actually appears to work for the time being. Strange. Don't know if it's a coincidence but I'll report back if it acts up again.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:07 am

Hmmm perhaps an Nvidia issue...BTW mine is a 7400. And getting the Omega drivers as recommended did not help.

calvinus

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:29 am

joram wrote:Some of the menus (or pop-ups if you call them that) have no background and don't seem to have it's options clickable. For instance, hitting escape to bring up the system menu does this. Therefore I have no way of exiting the game except control-alt-del. Sometimes an event pop-up does this too. I have the latest DirectX and Divx drivers and my video drivers are no more than a couple months old. I do have a dual-screen setup and wonder if that might be part of the problem but that would be unique to this game then.

Any ideas? I want to like the game but it's virtually unplayable right now.

:8o: :8o: :8o:
Some graphic resource is corrupted?
Try opening the following file (using photoshop, acdsee, or whatever you have installed):

[game dir]/Data/Graph/Interface/Images/Windows/Pic_OptionsWindow.tga

(This should be the background used for the Esc-key popup window).

If the graphic resource is not damaged, that means some D3D features are not supported by the video card... :bonk:

calvinus

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:32 am

jimwinsor wrote:Hmmm perhaps an Nvidia issue...BTW mine is a 7400. And getting the Omega drivers as recommended did not help.

Let's say that the suggestion by Pocus was aimed at improving video card performance. Indeed the Omega drivers should be good mainly for laptops.

swang
Corporal

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Downloaded 1.07 two days agao, and I've been getting this issue also. If I hit Escape, I can never get out of that menu because I can't select anything. Same thing with assigning leaders.

calvinus

Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:30 am

swang wrote:Downloaded 1.07 two days agao, and I've been getting this issue also. If I hit Escape, I can never get out of that menu because I can't select anything. Same thing with assigning leaders.

It would be better if all customers that are having such problems provide us the DxDiag log. It would be very useful also to know if all these customers have the same Video card.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:05 am

Ah, gladly! Here is mine...
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

calvinus

Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:35 am

Well, let's see if the also the other guys have the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 video card.

swang
Corporal

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm at work now, so no dxdiag.txt to post, but my GI worked yesterday night. I uninstalled both DivX, and GI, and re-installed both.

If it matters, in the previous install I ran into the problem of the serial not working because I entered a name. I was able to run it after I removed the name, but maybe something else screwed up?

I have a NVidia 7600 GT running in SLI mode, don't remember which driver version I have, but it came from NVidia...

calvinus

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 am

swang wrote:I'm at work now, so no dxdiag.txt to post, but my GI worked yesterday night. I uninstalled both DivX, and GI, and re-installed both.

If it matters, in the previous install I ran into the problem of the serial not working because I entered a name. I was able to run it after I removed the name, but maybe something else screwed up?

I have a NVidia 7600 GT running in SLI mode, don't remember which driver version I have, but it came from NVidia...

And are you having the "no background for some menus" problem?

swang
Corporal

Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:37 pm

I was, not now. The first install was pretty standard. The serial thing was the only thing that was out of ordinary, and did not require a re-install.

The reinstall is working just fine, the menus are there, and the game functions as expected...

Pocus

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:18 pm

if the missing background is only a font missing, then adding it in the fonts directory of windows can perhaps do the trick.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

joram
Private

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:41 am

I was finally able to get back to this and notice for the most part the missing background has disappeared, so to speak. There is one way for me to reproduce it everytime though and that is to hit the manage leaders button. That menu has no background at all. All I see are superimposed heads of presumably my existing leaders. I don't know if there is anything in this menu or not that's useful because I can't read any text either. I just hit enter and escape out of it.

Return to “GI Technical support”