Sunray

First screenshot

Sat May 05, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks for your help guys - this is a screenshot of the new feature (we're still working on the content) :bonk:

We should begin with the pre-war biography for all 4/3/2-stars generals, but some are still missing : Foote, Dahlgren, Frémont, Halleck, Grant, Pope, Buell, Rosecrans and Howard. Who can help (using the model made by tc237 http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3651) ?
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

marecone

Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 am

Although I would still like bios from the war too, this looks really nice.
Good job! :coeurs:

Godspeed

P.S. my real life takes so much time that I don't have enough time to help you out.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

arsan

Sat May 05, 2007 10:42 am

marecone wrote:Although I would still like bios from the war too, this looks really nice.
Good job! :coeurs:

Godspeed

P.S. my real life takes so much time that I don't have enough time to help you out.

Same here! :coeurs:
The tool tip's seems a great way of displaying the bios!
But please, don´t forget about the "war bios" :(

By the way, Scott's war bio should be MUCH MORE shorter than pre-war one!!! :niark:
Cheers
Arsan

tc237
Colonel

Sat May 05, 2007 4:00 pm

Thank you for the screenshot Sunray.

Since I wrote that bio, I'll be first to offer up some suggestions.
Looks like we should go with more, shorter lines, as opposed to less but longer lines.
In the screenshot, the longest lines are about 80 characters before they wrap to the next line.

So, if we go with more, shorter lines (less than 80 characters) we will have a more uniform and cleaner presentation.

Winfield Scott's is one of the longer bios with 8 lines.
Most bios have 4-6 lines, so there shouldn't be a problem.

How do you guys like it? Any suggestions?
Now that I've seen the screenshot, I'm gonna go full speed on finishing the Union generals.

As for the longer bios, Ageod won't be able to do any new art for us.
So we are going to have to use our Photoshop skills. Should not really be a problem.

marecone

Sat May 05, 2007 4:03 pm

So, if we go with more, shorter lines (less than 80 characters) we will have a more uniform and cleaner presentation.

This sounds good. You already know what I think about war bios and all :siffle: .
Anyway, thank you all for doing this. It will definitely be an improvement. With or without war bios :innocent:

Godspeed
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

tc237
Colonel

Sat May 05, 2007 4:14 pm

marecone wrote:This sounds good. You already know what I think about war bios and all :siffle: ...

From what I understand, by reading the other previous comments on this subject, you guys want Ageod to research, write-up and include, somehow in-game, about 300 accurate wartime bios.

marecone

Sat May 05, 2007 4:25 pm

tc237 wrote:From what I understand, by reading the other previous comments on this subject, you guys want Ageod to research, write-up and include, somehow in-game, about 300 accurate wartime bios.

:niark: No. I am not that unreasonable :bonk: .
I like your idea with short lines so I was thinking something like that. 4 or 5 lines like: - Forrest's victory at Brices crossroads was a masterpiece :king:
or something like it. Few lines where players would get to know how those generals performed.

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Sat May 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Yuo want war bios for the current game you are playing or the the "real-life" war? Why would you want the latter if you are playing in a game where what they did in "real-life" will probably never happen?

Now if it were possible to have war bios for the current game showing all of your victories/battles, etc., that would e cool.

marecone

Sat May 05, 2007 4:58 pm

LMUBill wrote:Yuo want war bios for the current game you are playing or the the "real-life" war? Why would you want the latter if you are playing in a game where what they did in "real-life" will probably never happen?

Now if it were possible to have war bios for the current game showing all of your victories/battles, etc., that would e cool.

I hope that this will be added too. As for my idea. Well, you can play and learn. This is how I started with ACW. I did read a short bio on Lee and then started reading more and then...
Anyway, I belive it would be a nice touch. Especially for ACW newbies. Maybe Jackson or Sheridan don't mean anything to them. This way they'll know they have a great general here.
Just my two cents

caranorn

Sat May 05, 2007 5:05 pm

I'm also for wartime bios in addition to pre war bios. Maybe with an option to hide the first for those who don't want to be affected in their playing by history.
Marc aka Caran...

arsan

Sat May 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Like Marecone said.
I think short bios with four lines about leaders performance on war.
I could be a single paragraph, like the ones done by Sunray before the "pre-war bio" idea come up.
You can see them here
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3541&page=2
on post number 42

Or it could some short sentences like the "pre-war bios".

I don't think its necessary any photoshop work. Tool-tips would be more than enough, like the one shown on the screeshot.

About LMUBill question

I would want historic war bios.
A lot of player (myself included) don't know nothing about most of the leaders present on game. But they are given to us with capacities and abilities based on his HISTORIC bios, even if in the first turn of the campaign nothing of this have happened "on game".
By knowing some facts about his ACW career i would understand why they are rated as they are rated and apreciate the work AGEod has donde trying to translate this to the game.

Cheers!

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Sat May 05, 2007 6:04 pm

Historic war-time bios seem like overkill to me. If you really want the information there are literally dozens of sites online that have it.

Besides, how would you do a controversial officer like Sherman? :siffle:

marecone

Sat May 05, 2007 6:16 pm

William T. SHERMAN

Sherman volunteered for service in the Union Army when the War started. His military career had repeated ups and downs but he is one of the most famous Northern General, receiving both recognition for his outstanding command of military strategy and criticism for the harshness of the destruction policy he implemented in conducting total war against the South. In that sense, he has been described by military historian as the first modern general. He is also noted for his absolute refusal to be drawn into politics.

Writen by Sunray.

This seems fine to me or it can be translated in 4 or 5 shorter lines in order to match prewar bio.
Just my two cents.

marecone

Sat May 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Anyway, to make long story short.
I can't help out due to my private life. What these guys will do it is up to them. I didn't order or ask for anything. Just suggested.

To bio crew; whatever you decide to do, I am sure it will be good for both game and players.

Godspeed and keep up the good work

Return to “ACW Generals Biographers”