Rafiki

[NON-PLAYERS] Audience game discussion

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:51 am

Got any comments about the game you'd like to share? Things you wish to discuss? Let's have it! :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Well I reckon its down to this grumpy old man to kick things off....and I intend to be controversial from the start. Was looking forward to following this game with extreme interest. As it develops though...and I know its early days....I reckon I'll find it difficult to keep tuned in.

First off, I find the perspectives of the two Presidents enlightening and informative (and hard to improve on). Wish I could say the same for the standard of communication from the 4 CiC's.

Banks6060 is excellent and I commend his AAR to anyone. Informative, with maps. Really lets you into his thought processes. Easy to follow.

Just wish I knew what was the outcome of the recent Grafton meeting....was it a gremlin?

As for the other CiC's though.....to date very poor. Now I know there might be reasons as to why but if things dont improve with the other three in respect of their AAR's then I do think the campaign will not end up being any sort of advert for AGEod...but more a game for the gronards.

Now places tin hat on head (ducks low) and awaits the flack :coeurs: Hoping that things change

GShock

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:22 pm

I agree with Banks' being the best AAR but doing a good AAR takes a lot of time and not everyone has such spare time available. Ideally there should be someone, who's not playing at all, possibly Banks, to do 1 2-sided AAR, omnicomprehensive just reporting what happened and where. Short, concise, documented = nice.

Unfortunately i think Banks is also playing :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:38 pm

GShock wrote:but doing a good AAR takes a lot of time and not everyone has such spare time available.

I dont disagree GShock, infact I'd endorse fully the sentiment but after making such a big thing about this Grand Campaign I think it incumbent upon the players to make the time. Otherwise why else have a dedicated ongoing (almost mini forum let alone thread) going. :tournepas

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Samething here, really disapointed. :(

And the quality of Banks' AAR makes it even worse: he is wondering about what's going on in the other side and actually we too.

One of the trilling aspect of parallel AARs is to be able to read how the two sides see the situation from different points of views and sometimes misinterpret their opponent strategy.

The Grand Campaign should be even better... and it's not. :bonk:

I'm specially disapointed with Andrew, even if he is not (by far) the worst. Andrew was involved in the previous Grand Campaign and his AAR was much better then.

Come on... just some text about the situation would do... :cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Franciscus

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:01 pm

I agree. I also am a bit dispointed with this grand campaign - by the way the ongoing french grand campaign is very much more interesting, for those fortunate among us :king: to read french.

Lonster
Corporal

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:23 am

There are a couple ways to get your desires out to the actual participants, so they that they can hopefully start adding more thoughts about the Campaign.

1) rate their thread - takes only about 10 seconds

2) post a polite request in the General Discussion thread.

I think some of the players are waiting for the turns where "something happens" before they post much, but things are already happening.....and they can still give their thoughts plans. I will again post a request over in the General Discussion thread, and if you agree then you can "second" the thought.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:54 am

Well having seen Jabbers latest post what can I say other than excellent truely excellent. Really am able to follow Union Presidents thinking and have a better understanding of what is going on. Hope he can continue the good work though I do accept the amount of effort that has to go into it :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Rafiki

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:16 am

Indeed; that post alone adds a whole new dimension to understanding what is going on in the Union war room, as well as providing a good look on the big picture, as seen from the Union side :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 am

More excellent posts from Jabber and Banksy I am full of admiration. Though if I were Banks I reckon I'd have gone with my 'gut' reaction by now. Always reckon that as the CSA you have to use them smart commanders whilst the Union has dumb ones. But then that should be another thread in this audience discussion. Pity I am still unable to disagree or agree with Western CiC's on either side. Mind you things have improved so any complaints from me are muted. Though as a 'grumpy old man' and making allowances for what obviously has been a difficult time for Solo....General Cai with his AAR's needs a kick up the proverbial Jacksey. :siffle: :siffle:

Rafiki

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:19 am

Banks' images are a work of art; no doubt about it. It's also nice to see other AARs picking up speed :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Must admit to getting somewhat impatient now, as an outsider looking in. Jabber keeps dropping hints (or should I say crater bombs) regarding some of the tactics/strategies that he intends to use in the campaign. Iching so bad I could scratch it to learn from one of the masters what these tactics are...and how Banksy is going to counter them. Flipping frustrating that so little seems to be going on. :fleb:

Currently seeing this grand campaign advance is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Wish I understood French and could appreciate their Grand Campaign. :bonk: :bonk:

Regards

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:09 am

Yep, I'm afraid measures must be taken by the grand baboon in order to get this 2nd GC going. :8o:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Rafiki

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:33 am

soundoff, I find your post kinda harsh, but won't say you're wrong. Truth be told, right now, I ond't have any measures to take. When players remain incommunicado (for reasons unknown), it is impossible to know what is going on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Lonster
Corporal

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 am

Rafiki wrote:....I ond't have any measures to take. When players remain incommunicado (for reasons unknown), it is impossible to know what is going on.

Couldn't you have a weekly turn cycle, and if a person is not heard from in that time, have the alternate player (president or other CIC) make the move for them, and if a person misses 2 weeks in a row with out advanced warning then sub in an alternate new player (even if they have some outside knowledge...read an ARR or two) for the sake of the Campaign.

It seems like people should be checking in at least every 3-4 days.

Rafiki

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 am

If/when there is another GC, I think something like that might the thing to do. As things have been for this GC, we can't start doing something like that over the heads of the players (and note that we are discussing this in a place that the players aren't supposed to be reading ;) ).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Lonster wrote:Couldn't you have a weekly turn cycle, and if a person is not heard from in that time, have the alternate player (president or other CIC) make the move for them, and if a person misses 2 weeks in a row with out advanced warning then sub in an alternate new player (even if they have some outside knowledge...read an ARR or two) for the sake of the Campaign.

It seems like people should be checking in at least every 3-4 days.

Hi, we sometimes have that kind of problem too for the Grand Campaign in French. We sometimes have to wait more than a week before we hear about our opponents. An alternate player system could be a good idea. And I think the audience no longer follows the AARs when there is too much time between each turn.
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Rafiki wrote:If/when there is another GC, I think something like that might the thing to do. As things have been for this GC, we can't start doing something like that over the heads of the players (and note that we are discussing this in a place that the players aren't supposed to be reading ;) ).

The question should be given to the players, but I think their answer will be te same. When someone just disapears without warning, he has to be replaced. Otherwise there is now way you'll get this GC going (which is already almost dead IMHO).

I understand your carefullness about this player, but someone has to think to the others who did turn in in time.

This is the hard rule of PBEM, and it has always worked this way.

"If you have a temporary problem, you warn in order some care taking to be done".
"If you disapear, the substitute comes in"

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Rafiki wrote:soundoff, I find your post kinda harsh, but won't say you're wrong. Truth be told, right now, I ond't have any measures to take. When players remain incommunicado (for reasons unknown), it is impossible to know what is going on.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh Rafi. Was not intended to be. Just that I had such high hopes of learning some of the more elegant strategies from what I consider to be an extremely experienced group of players. I do understand that life does get in the way and my comments were meant for the campaign as a whole and not aimed at any individual.

Seems such a shame to see it stalling for whatever reason.

Regards

Rafiki

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:20 pm

I understand the frustration; luckily, it seems that people are checking in now; we're missing only Coregonas and soloswolf (unless I'm mistaken).

And who knows, perhaps there might be some other ways of learning strategies in the future (hint, hint)? ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:51 pm

The other solution would be to just practice your french and come have a look at our campaign on the french "Grande Campagne". :innocent:
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:23 pm

CristoFire-Ice wrote:The other solution would be to just practice your french and come have a look at our campaign on the french "Grande Campagne". :innocent:

I've had enough trouble coming to terms with this game in English. If I have to learn how to play in French just book me a permanent bed in the funny farm. :siffle:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:48 am

I love the insight into Jabbers view on cavalry tactics. Certainly some food for thought there.....and a 'I never knew that' enlightenment in respect of mountains acting as a detection barrier. At least one players grateful thanks Jabber :gardavou:

cobraII
Captain

Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:25 pm

What is happening in the west its my knowledge that both the south and the north were consentrating in kentucky or was there plan to, but both of the western commanders have not been updating their aar as often as the eastern commanders so its hard to even know whats happening out there. so far this has been really interesting to see the eastern commands and presidents, but it be even better to know whats happening in the west. I understand your busy.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm going to say it....I know its me as a grumpy old man who has not a kind word for anyone...but in truth ....for the onlooker, this game sucks.

For the participants this game may well be magnificent...stupendous...terrific.

It pleases me not to say the above....I was so so hoping to enjoy and learn. I know life happens but the game has gone beyond that now (for me at least)

With heartfelt disappointment :p leure: :p leure: :p leure: :p leure:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 pm

And I know I'm being very very harsh and hard...but I was so so hoping to learn (as an outsider) :p leure: :p leure:

Rafiki

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Sorry to hear that :(

But I have to say, wouldn't it be better to say this in the thread that the players are allowed to read (and post in)? They are, after all, the ones who first and foremost can improve on the AAR'ing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 pm

Rafi...my reputation as such a pessimistic so and so I am sure goes before me. ( I'm the one who looks at the world with the jaundiced eye)

I truely dont want to upset the players...I'm sure they are doing their best...(for me though their best just is not good enough...but perhaps I'm in a minority of one...it would not be that unusual).

Trouble is I know what a great game AACW is and this campaign is doing no favours to it in respect of advertising.

Kind regards

Rafiki

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place here; I fully understand and even mostly share your frustration, especially when I see some of the very excellent, but sadly fewly-numbered AAR posts that various players have made.

OTOH, it's important to me that the players are having fun and that the game doesn't become a "chore", so to speak, since if that happens, we're a lot more likely to start loosing players, and I don't see that as very helpful to gettinbg more audience enjoyment.

What I do think, though, is that if the players are shown that there are people out here who really are interested in hearing what they have to say in their AARs and that are anxious to see updates to the AARs, they might take it to hear be inspired by it; never know till you've tried :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:48 pm

Trouble is Rafi...for another poster that may be OK to suggest..me though (as you well know) I'm the preverbial Bull in the China shop....until folks get to know me...its hard to take :siffle: :siffle:

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”