AndrewKurtz

[USA East] AAR

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:08 am

First turn and the only forces at my command were the AoP in Alexandria and Pattersons force wesdt of Harpers Ferry. Moved Patterson to HF immediately in force and took the opportunity to reorganize the AoP into more efficient divisions.

johnnycai
Major

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:47 am

Is McD active?? :8o:

AndrewKurtz

Sat May 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Wanted to be aggressive, attempting to take HF and cutoff Jackson, but the politicians, fearing for the safety of DC, ordered a more defensive effort.

So, instead, focused on the defensive to appease. Moved militia to cover key cities and entrench. Moved Hooker to cover the attack the raiding approaches north of HF and moved McDowell east to entrench and cover both Alexandria and Hooker.

Finally, moved forces to Ft. Monroe to increase the troops for both defensive and future offensive operations.

Not expecting any significant CSA effort this turn.

AndrewKurtz

Thu May 08, 2008 2:25 pm

I think my aggressive play would have paid off, but now it is too late. Hooker is positioned NE of HF and is in for the defensive long haul.

I'm getting a sense of what the actual generals must have felt. Three turns in and the President has micromanaged and changed strategy already. Right now I'm simply trying to organize my forces for the defensive, as the major efforts seem to be out west for both sides right now.

AndrewKurtz

Mon May 19, 2008 2:16 am

More micromanagement. My goals are simple for the rest of the year:

1. Try to hold Ft. Monroe and take/hold Norfolk. The latter could be the more difficult of the two.

2. Continue to entrench along the Potomac

3. Secure West Virginia

AndrewKurtz

Tue May 27, 2008 4:16 pm

A turn has been out for two days and still no word from General Scott. Ahhh peace!

I noticed that my eastern opponent was confused about what happened at Grafton. I am as well. I don't know what his confusion was, but here is mine: Why did he attack me and where did he go? I had expected that he would have been on a defensive posture and that, worst case this turn, our forces would enter the region, shift to Offensive and we would attack. However, it seems to have been the reverse. Did he forget to remove the Offensive posture his troops (been there).

Also, as stated, where in the world did he do? I think we have sufficient forces to deal with him now, even with Lews Wallace and troops heading back west, but it would sure be nice to know where he is and what strength he has.

A frustration...Mansfield is just sitting off the port of Ft. Monroe. He was supposed to go all the way to Ft. Monroe and be there this turn. Net effect, because Meagher is inactive, is that we are probably going to have to delay the attack on Norfolk two weeks.

Decisions. Cavalary has a chance to capture some artillery. In the north, we will probably go for it. But for the deep raid, I'm concerned that if the artillery is taken, with the new movement rules, the cavalry will not successfully escape pursuit. I sure wish you could destroy captured units.

Not much going to be happening up North. I do want a clarification of the strategy General Scott is requesting in the east. I have not had forces entrench across the entire region to this extent. Curious how they should be handled during the winter. I'm wondering if they should each be equiped with supply wagons or can they ride it out another way. I want guidance from the experienced General Scott on this one.

Last planned item is a cavalary raid to kill rail connections to Virgiania in support of the Norfolk attack. They should launch in the coming weeks.

johnnycai
Major

Tue May 27, 2008 6:39 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:A turn has been out for two days and still no word from General Scott. Ahhh peace!

Funny! :niark:

Curious how they should be handled during the winter. I'm wondering if they should each be equiped with supply wagons or can they ride it out another way. I want guidance from the experienced General Scott on this one.

Greetings General,
Yes, supply wagons stacked with troops away from a town/depot are a must for our forces holding regions during the winter months. The wagons 'absorb' the winter attrition hits. I tend to move excess forces back to towns/cities so as to reduce the amount and impact of winter hits and the resulting cost of supply replacements.

General Cai

AndrewKurtz

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:32 pm

So after a lot of entrenching, we are finally going to see some action in the east! From our planning on day one, we have been planning to coordinate an attack on Norfolk. But for some reason, confusion in orders caused several of the forces to not arrive and to end up in other locations. Regardless, finally they are assembled.

There are actually two primary attacks planned along the James this turn, with many secondary attacks planned to either cut reinforcement routes or a diversonary attacks. The two primary atacks will be a land attack against Hampton Roads and an amphibious attack against Suffolk.

The attack against Hampton Roads will be executed by a new Division formed under General Meagher. Intelligences shows a large NC brigade supported by a militia unit dug in, but poorly led. It was determined that the impact on the Generals rating (due to forming and attacking in the same turn) were acceptable when weighed against the improved command and control the division offered. The attack against Hampton Roads will be executed by a total of 11,000 infantry supported by 2000 cavalry and 48 guns. We expect that this will provide us a 3-1 advantage (or more) in troop strength, considered sufficient to dislodge the enemy from their entrenchments.

Instead of directly attacking Norfolk from the sea, we decided instead to take Suffolk and then to attack Norfolk from the west. This was for several reasons.

1. Intelligence (gathered through the navy the previous turn) shows that Suffolk is less heavily defended.

2. By taking Suffolk, we cutoff the ability to reinforce Norfolk shoud it take several turns to take.

The attack on Suffolk will be spearheard by a large brigade supported by artillery, naval infantry and supply wagons. In additional, another brigade in transport to Ft. Monroe has instead been diverted to Suffolk. This brigade will arrive a 1-2 days after the initial landing and will provide additional forces should they be need to sustain the attack or they will act as the rearguard during the attack on Norfolk.

Supporting these primary attacks are three secondary efforts.

1. We have ordered an amphibious attack on Tapahannock. We have no good intelligene on the enemy forces here, so I am somewhat concerned about this attack.

2. We have ordered cavalry raids against the rail lines leading from the Manassas area to Norfolk and Hampton Roads.

3. We have sent General Mansfield and one brigade to Albermale Sound to determine if one of the two cities is vulnerable to attack. In support of this, we have also ordered several brigades to ports to be quickly transported in support should an attack be feasible.

This is the main effort. However, there are several other minor efforts that may be interesting.

1. We are sending a cavalry force from Grafton to Covington to determine whether we can take and hold this city.

2. We are staging forces in Milford, WV for a planned assault in the near future.

3. Last months attack on the enemy artillery force south of Alexandria was successful (despite the game claiming we lost). We captured the artillery. To escape, we are going to board transports and return to Alexandria by river instead of by land (we will be on the river in two days, thereby escaping).

4. We have planned a rail raid around the Valley to cut rail lines feeding the Valley and Manassas.

5. Finally, a raid that has been occuring for turns will hopefully come to a successful end when the raiders board transports sent for their escape.

AndrewKurtz

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:02 am

The time between turns was simply too long. As I'm sure most of you have experienced, it is difficult to pick back up after six weeks. We will need to do something to ensure that one person can't hold up the game that long in the future.

Things did not proceed exactly as planned during the last turn, but when do they? That said, they were not bad. We were succesful in the assault by General Meagher on Hampton Roads. However, now General Meagher is not active, hampering our plan to use him to support the attack on Norfolk. Likewise, the assault on Suffolk did not succeed in taking the city. So another assault is required against the remaining militia unit holding the city.

Our raiding Cavalry forces continue to inflict damage on the Confederate rail line, hopefully with the result that supplies and reinforcements are slowed.

Our defense in depth in the east continues to dig in, but an interesting opportunity has presented itself. General Holmes is leading a Corps defending Fredricksburg, but this Corps is completely isolated from it's Army and other Army Corps. Together with General Scott, we have devised a plan to siddle west (how Grant like of us) to attack this lone Corps.

General Butlers Corps is activated (a minor miracle in it's own right), and since General Butler is closest to the enemy, he will lead the assault. I had hoped to land his Corps in force in the region to the east of Fredricksburg and then to attack from the east instead of across the river. However, we do not have enough riverine transports available for this and the supporting plans. Therefore, General Butler has been forced to attempt to manueuver so as to attack from the west. My biggest fear is that he will be delayed by the cavalry forces in Culpeper and will not attack this turn. The risk? That his Corps will be west or Fredricksburg and no longer active. He will thus be very vulnerable to an enemy counter attack. But no risk, no reward. I'm just happy to be attacking.

Based on the current moves, Butler is planned to arrive in Fredricksburg on day 12. To support his attack, Hooker's division has been detached from McClellan and sent to support the attack. He is expected to arrive on day 13. I only hope Butler is not delayed, resulting in Hooker attacking across the river alone.

To support this attack and be in a position to attack should the enemy retreat, Meagher has been ordered to take river transports to the Hanover area. From there, he will threaten Richmond, be in a position to attack retreating forces or, should an attack be planned for Norfolk next turn, still be in position to be transported quickly to Norfolk.

The other USA Army forces have all been ordered to move one region east/south towards Fredricksburg, leaving marginal forces protecting Fredrick. I consider the risk low that the enemy will launch an attack north at this time due to the near arrival of winter. But if he does, he will have to defeat a deep defense before reaching Baltimore or Washington, a difficult feat before the onset of winter.

So after this turn, we hope to have inflicted more damage to the enemy rail, taken Fredricksburg, be in a position to threaten Richmond and potentially have put the enemy in a position were he must weaken the forces in the Valley to protect Richmond.

AndrewKurtz

Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 am

OK, is anyone else starting to really feel for the field generals during the actual war? I can't imagine trying to fight a real war and having a constant telegraph barrage from Washington. :bonk:

AndrewKurtz

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 pm

That turn took a long time to execute, and there was a lot of friction amongst the Union, but in the end, I think we are all better off as a result.

First of all, I think we now have "fixed" the issue with how the campaign itself will be run on the Union side. There was a lot of frustration brewing amongst us as Washington seemed to be trying to micro-manage to a level where the two CiC's were purely counter-pushers while the President felt he was not being properly informed of plans or orders. Hopefully, we will have worked out the command and control issues to everyone's satisfaction.

But to the turn itself. First, winter has settled in across the region, which will hamper everyones operations. Current raiders are all being ordered to return to shelter as quickly as possible, taking separate roads (i.e. splitting up) where possible.

Winter Settles In

Troops Ordered to Return to Winter Quarters ASAP

Existing Raids in Virginia

As for the results from last turn, I can only say great SUCCESS!

Let's look at the results and the current position area by area.

Harpers Ferry:

Harpers Ferry is only protected by one division

Jackson has moved to Manassas

We had some risk here as Jackson was massing a force in Harpers Ferry and our forces guarding the western regions of the theatre were (are) certainly smaller than the forces defending the regions more directly in contract with Washington. This is as it should be. However, we took a risk. If you recall, we decided to sidle left in an attempt to take Frericksburg (more later). This left the western area even more exposed. But fortunately, our enemy moved the majority of his forces towards Manassas. The result? The current threat at Harpers Ferry is minimal and, in fact, the forces there are a tempting targeted. However, we currently have no forces ready for offensive operation in the area (i.e. no active generals), so we are going to have to hold off on trying to capture Harpers Ferry.

Suffolk/Norfolk

We hold Suffolk and Norfolk is isolated

Norfolk has been a key target from the first turn. In fact, it was our sole offensive target this year, with the other main goal being to create a defense-in-depth around Washington.

It was previously decided to try to take Norfolk from the west, first taking Suffolk and then moving east along land. The advantages are avoiding an amphibious assault against a larger target (we correctly assumed that Suffolk would be manned by less troops) and also to block reinforcements from immediately reaching Norfolk. This turn, we succeeded in taking Suffolk, leading to the next step, a seige of Norfolk.

As of now, the plan is to bring Meagher back from the Hanover region, where he was positioned to support the attack on Holmes (see below). Part of Meaghers force will move to Suffolk to act as a rearguard while the remaining forces move to join the force from Suffolk in a siege.

Fredricksburg/Holmes Corps

The Fredricksburg Battle

The Current Fredricksburg Situation

Butler led his corps, supported by Hookers division, in a rather daring attack on Holmes isolated Corps in Fredricksburg. In a tw oday battle, Holmes' force was mauled badly, with our troops in control of Fredricksburg and Holmes facing a wintery retreat. Bulter is no longer in a position for offensive actions (again, not active), but Hooker came out of the previous attack unscathed. He has high cohesion and is ready for offensive operations. Since we are in control of Fredricksburg, the weather will not impact him in this region, so he will be set to attack Holmes to see if we can finish the job.

Richmond at risk

Richmond troops and adjacent union forces

The taking of Fredricksburg changes the landscape. Richmond is now at risk. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to assault Richmond, we simply don't have the forces to do it. None of our corps are active and netiher is the army. That, along with the bad weather, means we will likely have to wait for another day, unless Washington comes up with another brilliant plan.

AndrewKurtz

Late November Orders

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:28 am

We had good success again last turn, but not total success. The previous turn we took Fredricksburg. We never planned to hold the location for any length of time as we do not have sufficient forces to both hold Fredricksburg AND protect Washington. And protecting Washington is goal #1. But our enemy doesn't know our plans and our hope was that they would react, as they should, to the taking an important city in their rear, both a base of supply and a location from which we can threaten Richmond.

We left a rearguard to destroy the depot, which they did. At the same time, Butler succeeded in retreating towards Washington, but did not make it all the way. Meanwhile, Hooker retreated towards Ft. Monroe, taking Williams and adding power to the forces threatening both Richmond and Norfolk.

Speaking of Norfolk, we still have not succeeding in taking the city. But we have superior forces and will assault this turn.

But most importantly, the enemy retreated from the valley, leaving Harpers Ferry ungarrisoned and very few forces in Winchester. This was the move we were hoping for in response to the taking of Fredricksburg. Jackson is now south of Manassas, still a major concern, but no longer guarding the valley.

So here is a look at our plans region by region.

Rail Raids:

Winter approaches, so our options for raiding are lessening. But we have the forces in place to make a major dent in the rail lines supporting Richmond, the valley and Manassas. Cavalry have been sent to four rail lines to raid in the next few weeks.

Protecting DC:

Because of their move out of the valley, the main approach available to the enemy to Washington is through Alexandria. Because of our move against Fredricksburg, we are not in a position to defend multiple regions nor take a weakly defended Manassas. Therefore, we have decided to be defensive. McClellan's corps has been ordered to Alexandria to reinforce McDowell in Alexandria to guard against an enemy concetration towards DC. At the same time, Butler, still on the river, has been ordered to DC to rest and reinforce.

Attacking Norfolk etc:

We have 3-4x the forces of the enemy, so we have ordered an assault of Norfolk. We want to take the city before the enemy can try to reinforce. We are taking one major risk. We have a covering force in Suffolk protecting the approaches to Norfolk. But we are dispatching a relatively large element of this force, 75%, to destroy the depot in Garysburg. This is not meant to be a long term garisson of the city, but simply a raid to destroy more rail and supply infrastructure.

Harpers Ferry:

If we had sufficient forces, we'd like to occupy Harpers Ferry and Winchester. But bottom line is we don't. And as tempting as it is, we've decided to take Harpers Ferry and concentrate our forces in that area before moving further down the valley. After all, Jackson may return.

At the same time, we are sending forces west to open to B&O rail line to allow more rapid transportation of forces between east and west. Open rail lines are important and, as hard as we work to destroy the enemy rail infrastructure, we need to work hard to maximize ours.

Edenton:

Another opportunity has presented itself, but almost because there are no better options. Mansfield is in a position to take Edenton, with some supporting forces, which will open yet another potential base for future actions, provide more supplies and, perhaps most importantly, give some of the Union forces in the area a place to resupply and reinforce.

Grafton:

Finally, out in West Virginia, we have very few good options due to winter. We are simply going to concentrate our forces, under the coming leadership of Porter, in preparation for the Spring campaign season.

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”