Jabberwock

CinCs East & West - War Board

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:23 am

War Department
Washington, November 26, 1861

Andrew, John -

Addendum to T-180 (cavalry doctrine)

Returning to secure bases:

Cavalry regiments returning to previously secured bases for rest should be ordered to immediately set up camp within town limits. This will enable them to return to active operations faster. If enemy forces are threatening the area, then the situation should be discussed with HQ.

Addenda to T-188 (joining amphibious forces)

Item 2. Abandoning trenches

Troops that completely abandon entrenched positions in or around depots close to the front line, the rail areas west of the capital, or any of cities mention in T-18 which come into our possession (whether they have depots or not), without prior authorization, will not be subject to joining amphibious forces. They will be required to rebuild those positions, while other troops from the same theater are selected to join the amphibious forces in their stead. I repeat this includes trenches in the cities and forts, and in the surrounding regions. Most of these locations will need to be defended inside and out. I repeat the President's directive from T-18 that at least one regular brigade, even if it only contains a single regiment, will be stationed at any of these points that come into our possession.

I have included the relevent list of cities from T-18:
East
Washington DC
Jacksonville, FL
Pensacola, FL
Tallahassee, FL
Atlanta, GA
Savannah, GA
Baltimore, MD
Raleigh, NC
Wilmington, NC
Camden, SC
Charleston, SC
Fort Sumter, SC
Charlottesville, VA
Fort Monroe, VA
Richmond, VA
Winchester, VA

West
Mobile, AL
Montgomery, AL
Fayetteville, AR
Little Rock, AR
Madison, AR
Tuscon, AZ
Bowling Greene, KY
Lexington, KY
Louisville, KY
Baton Rouge, LA
New Orleans, LA
Saint Louis, MO
Springfield, MO
Corinth, MS
Jackson, MS
Vicksburg, MS
Nashville, TN
Memphis, TN
Galveston, TX
Houston, TX

Item 3. Extraneous troops

The definition of extraneous troops is expanded to include any regiments or brigades far from the front that are not being used to relieve other troops, or otherwise moving into position to be of service.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

johnnycai
Major

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:52 am

West Theatre HQ.
Bowling Green, Nov 20, 1861

To: General Wool
CC: General Kurtz

Sir,
A)
Grant has reorganized and increased his combat readiness more than 50% but the situation there is critical. I believe Johnston & Johnston have the control of the region so as to force Grant to engage against the defenders. I think its best that we give Grant offensive orders, with his standard judgement on being careful in any offensive. I ask you to discuss the options here as you see them.
This allows Grant to shield the 6th Ill. Cav and 7regs. of Ohio and Kentucky Militia to retreat to Glasgow, in Barren Ky.
Grant will either carry the field or retreat in full command of his 29,000 troops.
Grant wishes to inform you that our disadvantage of guns is pronounced as it currently stands.

B)
In the West, Sumner and the 3 reg. of US regulars are in defensive stances. The weather being now harsh and all needing rest.

C)
In Ark. the 2nd US Cav will go raze the Creek village.
2nd Ind. Cav will hold Ft. Smith until forced to retreat. I dont think Price can march his arty over to the fort and I believe he will want to bring them.

D)
Kentucky order will order the 4th Ohio Cav to assault Huntsville and await orders. 13th Ohio (in WV) is redeployed to move to Huntville.

E)
Halleck has been ordered to assault Lexington with the Michigan bgd. and MO sharpshooters. Unfortunately for him, Halleck will also immediately depart to Cairo with the engineer corps. Fremont will aid Grant wherever he can and to lead the forces heading there from Posey IN.

F)
Lyon, in W. Kentucky, will assault Columbus. Ft. Henry/Donelson is too risky considering what Grant is undertaking. Unfortunately the river being frozen, weather and lack of Grant's forces are too opposing to proceed with Lyon's proposal.

3rd Ill. Cav will raid down towards Corinth
4th Ill. Cav will move towards Lyon, the 5th towards Clarksville. The cavalry doctrine is understood.

These are my orders,

Sincerely,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:33 am

War Department
Washington, November 20, 1861

To: General Cai

John -

15 minutes prior to actually sending orders to the field is not adequate for a review. Don't toy with me.

JW

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 am

War Department
Washington, November 21, 1862

John -

A) Acceptable. Approved.

B) Nobody's minding the store in Dallas. If you have a riot there, I'll have to take appropriate action, once I decide what is appropriate. Also, the 7th and 11th US rgts could stand to be inside the town, as long as they are relaxing.

C) Acceptable. Approved.

D) Acceptable. Approved.

E) I had a little trouble understanding the report, but I checked the orders. Approved. I did say send regulars separately, but I'm getting used to mix-ups when the object is killing enemy raiders or there is a depot at stake. This has both. If the raiders survive, they're yours to deal with and the war gets prolonged. I hope your troops have time to assault Springfield when they get there. I hope there is still a depot there if the assault takes place next month.

F) Acceptable. Approved.

3rd, 4th, 5th IL Cavalry - Acceptable. Approved. We still need to work on moving past objectives, just like in the east. I will try to come up with a better way to explain this concept.

The Indiana Bde (Vincennes) and the 4th OH Mil (Jackson) aren't moving up. The 4th OH goes to New York, you'll get them back in Texas. If you had a good reason for keeping the Indiana Bde back, the time to tell me was before orders were submitted.

I hope you know what you're doing with the 3rd Naval. If you lose them, I'm sending the your next bunch straight to amphib.

Entrenchments need to be rebuilt outside Louisville. I specified that the Louisville Militia regiment be given this task. I will have to take additional forces to amphib, withhold reinforcements, or eventually adjust departmental borders if this is not done. I would also like to see some entrenchments inside Prestonburg.

We will need to discuss the naval situation at Benson Curve in December, with regards to the situation at Bowling Green and the weather.

Noticed one more. The fortifications at Peoria shouldn't be needed this winter. If you want to move the 5th IL up, you can do it in December. It is not mandatory. If you choose to maintain those trenches through the winter, then the 5th should at least be replaced with new volunteers, when more are available.

I will also adjust departmental borders if there are any more communication stunts or missed reviews. I will continue to adjust them until the situation is corrected, or you are in command of Fort Laramie, whichever comes first. If you think I lack General Scott's patience and gentility, you are correct.

JW

Jabberwock

CinCs East & West - War Board

Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:37 am

War Department
Washington, December 1, 1861

To: Generals Cai & Kurtz

Andrew, John -

Congratulations are in order, gentlemen.
  • Grant destroyed 8 enemy regiments at Bowling Greene (40% of the Johnstons' Army)
  • Meagher took Norfolk and Mansfield took Edenton
  • Lyon took Columbus
  • Farragut backed the Merrimac into the Roanoke River
  • Troops in Missouri finally finished off an enemy cavalry regiment
  • We have Huntsville, TN; and are moving on Livingstone
  • where we had to retreat, it was done skillfully and successfully

In the last month, we've inflicted 15,000 casualties on the rebels, while taking only 7,000 ourselves; and captured 4400 prisoners. Thank you for a job well done. Award promotions at your discretion.

Now let's get back to work.

Additional congratulations on not completely losing the US Cavalry Rgt, or the 3rd Sailors Rgt. Let's not create those situations again.

John - Battlefield skill trumps operational efficiency again. The Johnstons just lost 40% of their army, they're 50 miles and a river from help, and it's winter. If I was them, I'd retreat. They'll have no problem doing it, even though it's winter, because there is a completely pristine rail line between Bowling Greene and Nashville, with none of our raiders capable of shutting it down immediately. That horrifies me. How many times have Scott or I proposed orders that would have put raiders in Warren, Sumner, or Davidson, while avoiding enemy troops? Have the Michigan boys and cavalry hit Springfield again, give the others there a rest. Do something about Dallas. Start planning now, and you will be able to discuss your plans, while allowing me to catch some of the missed details.

Andrew - I don't know what happened with Porter ... sending inquiries to Allegheny. Maybe we could reinforce the 4th or 5th Div with troops from the other, and then send the skeleton div to Grafton in Porter's place? Bory's still got 50,000 rebels at or behind Manassas, now that he's pulled out of the Valley. The Laurel Brigade managed to stop most of our raiders at the Rappahannock. We need to consolidate the frontline troops under either McD or McC, and the bulk of Butler's troops under the other of those two, while Butler's Army heads west. Find out from General Cai where it is needed most. Let's also see if we can get Hooker a promotion.

JW

Jabberwock

CinCs East & West

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:48 am

War Department
Washington, December 1, 1861

To: Generals Cai & Kurtz

Andrew, John -

Cavalry doctrine.

Burkeville, VA - If Colonel Bradford had orders that extended past the town of Burkeville while including the word 'evade', he would not have attacked Burkeville. He would also not have been at risk of attack from any pursuers at Burkeville (fortunately there weren't any). He still would have been at Burkeville, ready to do the same job, but with 100 more troopers, more ammunition, and fewer wounded to care for.

We need to make 16-day orders the standard minimum for cavalry raiders.

I expect a response to this telegram from both of you. Is this clear, or do I need to state this another way? If you have a question about this, I want to read it.

JW

johnnycai
Major

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 am

West Theatre HQ.
Bowling Green, Dec1, 1861

To: President Lincoln, General Wool

Grant fought the Johnston's at Bowling Green. Grant took my suggestion of using the terrain and led Wallace and Hunter to victory!!
They fought to retreat away from their entrenched guns. I recommend Grant for an immediate battleground promotion. Wallace also has earned a promotion but his seniority likely makes that a political issue.

Also our forces have arrived at Springfield and are seiging that vital town!

The situation in Kentucky is to be decided.
The Green river has frozen and Grant will not have supply for an extended campaign. We must strike hard and fast or not at all as the weather and supply situation are against us. Grants troops may not have the will to march in this weather against the reb units holding the town.
Troops in Barren and Muhlenburg will stay to hold the retreat paths if an assault is ordered. I must suggest a hesitant advance if so ordered.

Lyon has taken Columbus. Lyon has also earned a promotion. His position is tenuous as the rebs have twice as many troops arrayed against him. Reinforcements are immediately ordered to Paducah. We need to keep that toe-hold. Halleck will be ordered to send a brigade and 2 battery's to Paducah.
Sumner got hit with epidemic at Tuscon, his troops are in no shape to march in winter at this time.
Butler should have his troops mass in Baltimore where they can join with him as soon as a suitable replacement corps commander becomes available.
The next Army command must be out West with either Fremont/Grant or Lyon. Grant of course must be considered the prime choice. Fremont will wait in Evansville where most of my reinforcements will gather.
I suggest build all the troops for Butler that you deemed for the West. Generals, supply and transports will be needed in Feb. when they plan to sail.

Sincerely,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:00 am

War Depatment
Washington, December 2, 1861

John -

First, have you read and understood T-246?

Second, mandatory orders for the 1st, 3rd, and 10th OH cavalry, along with the 4th & 7th IN Mil, and the MO/6th Bde. These missions are too critical to the war effort to be left to discretion.

The 1st OH cavalry currently have orders to attack Gallatin. They will attack Gallatin, but evade contact if they find enemy troops there. They will continue past Gallatin towards Clarksville.

The 3rd OH Cavalry will ride to Nashville, evading contact. They will then turn west towards Humphries. They will do this whether or not Grant attempts to march on Nashville immediately.

The 10th OH Cavalry will ride to Bowling Greene, evading contact. If the Johnstons have completely evacuated, they will capture the city. They will continue towards Clarksville.

The 4th IN Mil will take possession of Humphries, TN.

Send the 7th IN Mil (that specific regiment, travelling by itself, by train as far as possible) to Huntsville, TN immediately. The 13th OH Mil may be used for other purposes.

The MO/6th (at Lexington) must immediately take the fastest available transport towards Springfield.

Third, what about these possibilities ... promotions for all three, Grant, Lyon, and Wallace, since Burnside heads the seniority list and we have already determined not to use him for active field command. Wallace sheperds troops in need of reorganization to either Evansville or Louisville (Evansville is closer).

Fresh troops are organized into Hunter's division, along with all available supplies, Grant leads them on a forced march to take Nashville immediately, before it receives further reinforcements.

If the forced march fails and the Johnstons pull back to Nashville, Grant winds up at Clarksville, and we have plenty of brigades free to take Bowling Greene. If the Johnstons don't retreat and the forced march fails, they are more isolated at Bowling Greene than Grant is at Clarksville, and don't have an adequate way to get reinforcements to Nashville. If the forced march succeeds, the Johnstons don't retreat, but Grant fails to completely take Nashville, the rail lines will still be cut behind the Johnstons and it's still winter. If the forced march succeeds and the Johnstons also retreat to Nashville, Grant retreats, or we have another fight. Our troops will be tired from the march, their troops are less likely to be in trenches than they were at Bowling Greene. In that case, Nashville is up in the air, and we still secure Bowling Greene.

Let me know what you think. If not this, we can come up with something else.

On other matters, it would be a much worse political situation to bypass Butler or McClellan for army command than to bypass Burnside for promotion. Butler will be bringing his army west, not forming at Baltimore. If you think it would be a better idea long-term for him to take the Gulf Command and work his way north, I can have him ordered to New York for transport to Texas rather than sending him to Cleveland to await your orders there. I judge that Butler will make a better commander for the west than Fremont or McClellan. Grant has not sufficiently proven himself for appointment to army command yet. There are still worries about his off-duty habits and reliability. Perhaps a conquest of Nashville; followed by a further defeat for the Johnstons, or Floyd, or Polk; would be enough. If he keeps moving, he should surpass Fremont before we are forced to consider that option.

I am hoping to add considerably to the blockade and merchant marine this month, but am open to other suggestions.

I would suggest moving Halleck forward to Paducah with the troops he is sending, while bringing Fremont either back to Cairo to command the outer trenches there, or sending him to command Louisville. That is at your discretion. From here, it appears an enemy attack on either Coumbus or Paducah before additional help arrives is unlikely. That said, the rebel western commanders have surprised me before with odd strategic choices.
The cavalry in Graves, both regiments traveling together to share supplies, should report to Lyons command at Columbus.

JW

johnnycai
Major

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 pm

West Theatre HQ.
Bowling Green, Dec2, 1861

Understood, Cavalry doctrine update -
We need to make 16-day orders the standard minimum for cavalry raiders.

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 am

War Department
Washington, December 3, 1861

John -

Thank you. Your reply is appreciated.

Enemy troop strength east of the Tennessee:

Johnstons at Bowling Green: 13,000 (6,000 cavalry; 5,500 infantry, 1,000 artillery, 500 support)
Stewart at Nashville: 6,000 (3 line regiments, 1 conscripted regiment, 2 volunteer regiments, 1 battery)
Floyd at Dover: 6,000-8,000

Polk has more, but Polk is the one enemy general who has broken rails to deal with. He certainly cannot reach Nashville or Clarksville. His range is Columbus-Humphries. Possibly he could reach Paducah. If Hardee rails around to Nashville the long way, that means additional opportunities for Lyon. Right now, Lyon is outnumbered almost 2-1, so he is right to be cautious. New enemy reinforcements are being recruited. We want to own as much of Tennessee as possible before they can move up and and confront us. I'd very much like to see the Johnstons stuck at Bowling Green with no supplies, and no easy way back. Then we can worry about prying apart the rest of the enemy lines. Keep the pressure on.

You may want to send everything except trench-holders from Evansville over to Louisville in case the Js get desperate, as a security measure. You may want to have Wallace push forward to Clarksville for refit instead of back to Evansville. You may want to send him across to Grayson with the eventual goal of Louisville. You may want to split the forces I've recommended for him with more than one objective. If you're feeling cautious, you may want to send Grant to Gallatin instead of Nashville, even though you have a chance at 4-1 odds right now. Tell me, so I understand your reasons, and we can work something out.

JW

johnnycai
Major

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:30 am

West Theatre HQ.
Bowling Green, Dec1, 1861

General,
Grant's best shot would be to keep Wallace un-promoted until next turn. Keep his forces intact and not give the rebs anything to celebrate in the New Year. Grant and I have estimated the forced march to be over 15days to reach Nashville via Clarksville. Moving to Clarksville is an interesting option but the rebs have too many advantages on us for now. Command, artillery, terrain and weather. I favour only an assault on Bowling Green otherwise to make for winter quarters and holding all of Kentucky.

Sincerly,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:35 am

War Department
Washington, December 4, 1861

Copy To: General Kurtz

Hold in place or move to winter quarters. Complete other mandatory assignments. Submit detailed orders for review.

JW

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:14 am

War Department

John -

Countermand most recent (T-252). I don't think we're looking at the same information.

Combine 22nd and 56th detachments.

From Grant's command, add Grant, Hunter, 2nd OH Vol, 16th Sharpshooters, 1st OH Lt Btys A & B.

Brigade Evansville Mil with 1st OH Vol.

Have Hunter reform division including all except 6th IL Cav.

Calculate a forced march to Nashville.

Inform me of path and date of arrival information for each point on that path.

JW

johnnycai
Major

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 pm

West Theatre HQ.
Bowling Green, Dec4, 1861

General,
Grant has reformed Hunter and Wallace with the freshest troops and in full command has over 30,000 men in good order. Our estimates place him at Clarksville in 8days and Nashville in 19days. It is possible to forcemarch and arrive on day16. Moving to Clarksville and perhaps offering battle there to the Johnston's would be an interesting option but the supply situation would not allow us to stay there until a depot can be erected nearby, likely Bowling Green. Surely the rebels will move forces to Nashville and not reinforce Bowling Green. Bowling Green is essential before planning on invading Tennessee at this time.
I am writing the orders at this time but would like the War Dept. blessing for either an assault on Bowling Green or its suggestion for deployment should we make for Clarksville.

Sincerely,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:12 pm

War Department

John -

I did not request information on forced-marching Hunter and Wallace to Nashville. I asked for information on just Hunter. Information on marching Hunter and Wallace is not relevent. I understand this is not your plan, and you therefore don't want to do it, but please give me the information I ask for. If you include both division commanders, then you are not using just the freshest troops, and some of them are slowing down the march. The troops I specified in T-253 are the freshest, best able to march and defend themselves without additional support. If the march does fail, I agree that there are not sufficient supplies in the column for both divisions at Clarksville long-term.

Do not waste troops and time against the Bowling Green fortifications. That is not how we are going to win the war. Get the concept of winning by frontal assault on entrenched positions out of your head. I will not agree to plans that include this concept unless the odds improve significantly. That will not happen, because if you don't move forward with other plans, the reinforcements that would improve the odds will already be assigned elsewhere.

This is very likely our last chance to trap the Johnstons north of the Cumberland, or beat them south of the Cumberland before they fully entrench there. Success opens up middle Tennessee, failure or not trying closes off middle Tennessee. The enemy will abandon positions north of the Cumberland when they feel compelled. They very likely feel compelled right now. If they dig in across the Cumberland and reinforce there, it could cost us an extra 3-6 months and 50,000 casualties to get across. That situation must be avoided. If we can avoid that situation by taking the enemy base of supplies, then we can destroy their army at very little cost. We would force the enemy to fight major engagements on the offensive on disadvantageous terrain, rather than allowing them to force us.

Since you don't want to attack Nashville, I suggest a compromise. Have Grant and Hunter move to Gallatin as a first objective. There are no trenches at Gallatin for the Johnstons to fall back on, no additional troops for a rendezvous. If they remain at Bowling Green, they will be cut off, unable to reinforce Nashville and in a worse supply situation than Grant. If they retreat to Nashville, they will likely pass Gallatin before Grant arrives, and Wallace can then take Bowling Green. If the Johnstons split their forces, it only makes their situation worse. If Grant moves to Gallatin, the cavalry assigned there (1st OH) can be retasked towards Carthage via Gainesboro (Putnam).

In any event, Wallace should hold at Muhlenberg with the bulk of the forces and the supply train from Missouri. Even facing the weather, those troops will be in better shape to move out or fall back after a rest. The rebels will not attack into Muhlenberg. On the astronomically small chance that they do attack there, they will wear themselves out without destroying Wallace's command. At Muhlenberg, those brigades are available to move forward, but still capable of falling back to Evansville in the worst case. If you want to create small detachments from that force to send back towards Louisville or Evansville immediately, I trust you to do that, but still require you to inform me.

Your current artillery is a match for the rebel artillery at Bowling Green, if not used to assault fortifications. Your field leaders are better than the rebel field leaders. Your forces on this side of the Tennessee are better supplied than enemy forces at Bowling Green. You significantly outnumber enemy forces on this side, and at this moment, enemy forces on the far side have transportation issues. Reinforcements are not expected to interfere with Grant's march. The rail line from Bowling Green to Nashville is finally about to be shut down one way or another. These all add up to an opportunity you have not given yourself previously. On the downside, the weather is bad, and you would be marching beyond immediate support range. What you do or don't do with this opportunity will determine the course of the war in your theater.

Nashville is your designated winter quarters. Going to other winter quarters without taking Nashville or Donelson means aggressive commanders must be sent east. Additional leaders will be available very soon. Thomas, McClellan, Halleck, Wallace, and Porter can hold a line in the west this winter, and move forward in a liesurely fashion next summer to bleed their way across the Cumberland while raids into the northwest continue and the rebels continually dig in deeper. Additional defensive-minded division commanders can be sent west to help with that. The war can be won along the east coast while that happens.

JW

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

War Department
Washington, December 6, 1861

John -

Please forward detailed orders for review.

JW

johnnycai
Major

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:47 am

West Theatre HQ.
Bowling Green, Dec4, 1861

Re. Order 253.
Our staff cannot find a way to march to Nashville, without a forced march of less than 7 days, and then 14 to Nashville and 13 to Gallatin. Without forced march we cannot achieve that march in less than 16days. This force is only 12,000 men but with all available battery's in good order with 2 full supply wagon teams. I believe the rebels will fall back and defend Nashville and that force, even well led and capable would arrive greatly reduced in this weather while Johnston's Army will be prepared.

Gallatin it is then. I need to send new requests for scouting reports but your suggestions are good on first glance. I expect a full set of order issues tomorrow evening.

Wood, your manner is overbearing, but your good intents are apparent. This war must end soon. You may stuff your reinforcement threats though, I will not be blackmailed with the lives in my command.

Sincerely,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:56 am

War Department
Washington, December 7, 1861

John -

Delay is risking more lives than caution. Continued refusal to submit detailed orders for a timely review is risking lives, because details are being missed. Strategically located entrenchments are abandoned. Trained garrisons are not relieved and moved forward in a timely fashion, leading to troop shortages on the front lines. Garrisons allow local citizenry in occupied territory to riot. Cavalry is not used to its fullest potential, relieving pressure on the enemy and allowing additional concentration of his forces at strategic points. Minor strategic locations are not properly occupied and garrisoned, jeopardizing our future ability to gather the resources to provide additional troops, equipment, and supplies to the armies. Field commanders are countermarching to meet reinforcements instead of proceeding to their assigned objectives. Timely progress cannot be made under these circumstances. I am not telling you that the war board is infallible, but reviews can only help.

Your opinion of my manner, accurate or not, is irrelevant. It is relevant that you have perceived my frustration. That was one of the intentions behind my recent communications. I have also perceived yours. Continued use of the misnomer adequately demonstrates it. The sentiments expressed in your last communique demonstrate it. Continued refusal to submit reports demonstrates it, but not in a way that I can make allowances for. The board cannot allow your frustration to hold back the progress of our armies. I am not making threats - I am informing you of consequences. If progress is not made in a timely fashion in your department, or additional lives are placed at risk through a failure to follow orders regarding submitting reports, then we must shift resources to other areas. You are not giving us a choice. It would be unfortunate. We would very much prefer to go with our original plan and the current departmental responsibilities. I have reviewed your record. It is one of valor and good field command decisions. I clearly see your that most of your operational ideas have merit if properly executed. I also see your potential if this issue is addressed.

I do not want to have to continue making suggestions without your prior reports. I do not want to have to send detailed orders for specific units. I expressly stated that when I took this job. Missing reports and doctrinal misunderstandings have put me in the position where I have to do these unpleasant tasks. I understand that these suggestions and orders antagonize you, and that you have your own ideas about how to proceed. You see that proper caution will save lives, but the members of the board also see that excessive caution will risk additional lives through delay and failure to outmaneuver your opposition. We need to have a meeting of the minds between the two viewpoints. The board wants your ideas, in detail, so that we can work with you, making suggestions only where they are needed. We want to help you meet the goals that are expected of you, rather than working against resistance to anything suggested from here.

I do not want your orders sent to the field tomorrow. I must insist on that point. Sending orders without review will lead to unfortunate consequences, even if they are exactly what I personally would have ordered in your circumstances. I want your orders submitted in detail for review tomorrow, as the President, General Scott, and I have asked and ordered on many occasions. You may consider this a positive order. Following this order will save lives under your command.

JW

reviewed and endorsed 12/7:
Abraham Lincoln
General Hitchcock
General Thomas
General Meigs
General Ripley
Colonel Taylor

absent:
Secretary Cameron
General Totten

P.S. When the actual General Wood reports for duty, I suggest you start using my proper surname, and find a different way to display frustation. Until then, Wood it is. If you would prefer that I address you as General Cai rather than John, please tell me.

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Board

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:21 am

War Department
Washington, December 8, 1861

John -

Further review of T-257 reveals another misunderstanding between us. The movements specified in T-248 were not suggestions. They were mandatory orders. The safety of our nation depends on those few regiments and brigades carrying out their orders as specified. Scouting will be more than adequate when those orders are carried out.

The only mandatory order that was later changed to a discretionary suggestion was in regards to the 1st OH possibly moving towards Carthage instead of Gallatin. Be aware, if Grant's forced march to Gallatin fails, that would leave us with no force in Gallatin, again.

If the rebels do not retreat, those rail lines must be cut. If they do retreat, we must still be in position to quickly follow up with further operations.

I apologize that I did not make this adequately clear earlier,

JW

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”