Washington, July 12, 1861
To: Major Generals Cai and Kurtz
Upon further consideration, I realize that it would ease your efforts if there was a preliminary proposal to discuss. Here is that proposal:
Unassigned, from wherever we can get them:
- 7 regiments of various Infantry
- 1 of Skirmishers
- 3 of Cavalry
- 4 batteries of various Artillery
- 15 Steamboats
Specific requests to the governors of the states:
For the Western Military Division:
- California - 4 regiments of 90 day Volunteers
- Iowa - 3 rgts. of Cavalry
- Missouri - 8 rgts. Vols., 1 Lt. battery
- Illinois - 2 rgts. Cav., 14 rgts. Vols., 1 btty. Napoleons
- Wisconsin - 4 rgts. Vols.
- Indiana - 13 rgts. Vols.
- Kentucky - 5 rgts. Vols.
- Ohio - 15 rgts. Vols., 1 btty. Napoleons
- Pennsylvania - 1 rgt. Zouaves, to occupy Louisville, freeing any cavalry initially used for that purpose.
Total: 5 rgts. Cav., 1 6 lb. btty., 2 12 lb. bttys., 63 rgts. Vols., 1 rgt. Zouaves
For the Eastern Military Division:
- Pennsylvania - 3 rgts. Cav., 1 rgt. Sharpshooters
- Maryland - 8 rgts. Vols.
- Delaware - 8 rgts. Vols., 1 Lt. btty.
Total: 3 rgts. Cav., 1 rgt. SS., 1 6 lb. btty., 16 rgts Vols.
For Amphibious operations:
- Massachusetts - 4 rgts. Vols.
- New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine - 2 rgts. Vols. each
- New York - 1 rgt. Zouaves
- 1 rgt. Sailors
Total: 14 rgts. Vols., 1 rgt. Zouaves, 1 rgt. Sailors
For shipping and economic development:
- New England ports - 13 transport squadrons
- Mid Atlantic ports - 17 transport squadrons
- Very small amounts of money and material sent to increase production in the New Mexico Territory.
- The 1st Infantry and attached 3rd artillery based in NY may also be temporarily held in reserve as an amphibious reaction force, in the event of an assault on a coastal fort.
- Using this proposal, General Kurtz will not be asked to loan or give General Cai any troops, beyond the regiment of Zouaves intended for Louisville.
- It is possible to substitute 2 rgts. SS. for 1 rgt. Cav. & 1 rgt. Vols., if desired.
This will require all the available supplies, leaving us with a small amount of money in the treasury, and a reserve of unassigned conscripts.
Please forward requests for modification, or acknowledge receipt by endorsement if no modification is requested, as soon as possible. "Yours of the 12th inst. received and endorsed." is sufficient.