Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

[CSA War Room] White House of the Confederacy

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:41 pm

To: General Albert S. Johnston ; General Robert E. Lee

I congratulate your recent designations as CiC of your respective areas. No better men can be found to do the hard job.

Our main objective is to hold the enemy far of our homes, and finally leave in peace again. However, seems the federal congress doesnt desire a peace in this moment, so we are forced to fight.

Richmond and the mississipi river are vital for us, as most of our main cities and industrial areas. Coastal areas are exposed to enemy invasion, we must prepare for it accordingly.

Kentucky and Missouri border states should be secured, or even better these should be convinced to join us.

The congress is currently working for bringing our Army and our Navy the best support we can afford.

I need your reports on the actual situation, in order to proceed.

Sure our nation will triumph.

Your humble servant
J. Davis

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
CiC East has the responsibility to defend the states of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
CiC West must defend all the other areas.

The Navy will be directly supervised by the president, such as Ocean Ships and the Ironclads available. River ships deployed in the Mississippi are under CiC West command, until new orders arise.

Troops for 7 new divisions are starting to form in recruitment areas in your departments, as some extra assets for troops yet deployed. Around 2 additional weeks are needed for final recruitment of these divisions. As we are short on heavy weaponry, for a few months, those divisions should be deployed without proper training and under strength, it is your work to train them into a proper combat force. I´m sure you will make a wise use of those men.

Personnel and equipment for one divisional headquarter has been approved to each of your commands. Generals Price and Smith have claimed be the first ones in the assignment, but you are free to send them elsewhere if needed.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:50 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston
General Orders for CiC WEST.
Main strategic areas involve defense of Tennessee and the Mississippi river. Coordinate with General Lee in order to defend properly our main Railroad Knoxville, TN-Lynchburg, VA.
Kentucky must be secured, in order to avoid the enemy reach Tennessee main cities, you should hold immediately a firm grip on the State. Although it is the desire of the Congress to convince the government of Kentucky to join us, you must start military operations into the state.

Nashville, Island 10, Fort Henry & Fort Donelson, New Orleans, and Memphis are maximum priority.

Baton Rouge, Vicksburg , Houston, Little Rock, Mobile and Pensacola and Tallahassee are to be properly garrisoned once troops available.

About the Far West area, you should avoid the fight reaching Arkansas at all costs. Troops should be sent without delay to Rolla and Springfield, in order to avoid losing the important weapons depots there. Other depots in Arkansas are to be properly garrisoned, as southern Texas ports.

Tucson is an important objective for us, and efforts should be done in order to start the year with this city in our hands.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:25 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Robert E. Lee
General orders for CiC EAST
Main strategic areas involve defense of Richmond and the industrial areas in the coast. Coordinate with General Johnston in order to defend properly our main Railroad Knoxville, TN-Lynchburg, VA.
Coordinate and support CiC West in defense of Florida and the coastal areas of Alabama and Lousiana, once troops available.

Defensive positions from Fredericksburg to Harper´s Ferry are crucial. Capture of the Hilly grounds on Loudon is desirable, as well as threatening Washington in any way.

Covington is to be garrisoned immediately. It must not fall into enemy hands, as opens a door back from Richmond. If needed, send division sized troops once troops are available.

A reserve brigade in Rockbridge, VA is finishing his supply assets. Take the necessary measures to avoid unnecessary losses.
Wilmington, Charleston and Savannah are to be properly garrisoned.
Troops commanded by generals Huger, Magruder and Winder are released from garrison duties, if needed elsewhere.

Ft Pickens is an important objective for us, and efforts should be done in order to start the year with this city in our hands. Help CiC West in capturing it.

Once troops could be dispatched, a couple division sized units should be stationed as a reserve counter invasion force.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:05 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
General Joseph. E. Johnston should be inmediately dispatched with a corps headquarters to join troops deployed in Nashville. General Thomas J Jackson asumes command.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 pm

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Mr. President,

All orders received and understood.

I have drawn up discretionary orders to the effect of our previous discussions, to be carried out while I continue to assemble aspects of my departmental command.

Upon his arrival, Gen. J.E. Johnston will coordinate all in-theater operations until my staff and command are fully in place.

Respectfully,
Gen. A.S. Johnston
[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:21 am

[font="Courier New"]Mr President,

All orders have been received and are diligently being carried out. A review of our forces in my department:

General P.G.T. Beauregard--Army of the Potomac--30,000 men and 112 cannon

General Jackson--Shennendoah Force--10,000 men and 24 cannon

General's Huger and Magruder guard the southern approaches to Richmond with approximately 9,000 and 6,000 troops respectively. I am pleased to see the administration's commitment to providing her armies with good artillery, I would request, unless otherwise intended, that one battery be reserved for use at Norfolk. This city will be very important to us in the coming conflict as you surely know.

General Winder guards Charleston with a small detachment.

General Johnson has been dispatched to Nashville to assist General A.S. Johnston with all that he may need. I am in agreeance that his skills could be far better utilized on that front.

My orders for the current campaign. I have ordered the Army of the Potomac to remain at Manassas in a strong defensive position and await the Federals' next move. General Beauregard informs me that Union General McDowell has nearly 30,000 troops stationed outside Alexandria, VA poised to strike south. Federal papers and politicians in Washington are pushing hard for an attack and Mannassas would be the ideal location. I was troubled to hear that General's Holmes and Bohnam declined commissions to lead larger commands than their respective brigades, but neither were inclined to do so. Word has reached my ears that neither of the men seem to understand the gravity of the situation. Beauregard will maintain overall command and hold his position.

General Jackson will split his command. A new division under General E.K. Smith has been formed. General Smith has been ordered to march with all speed Northwest across the blue ridge and into West Virginia, aiming to strike a blow at Grafton, disable the depot there and render that flank useless to the enemy for the immediate future. This operation is sure to provide relief to what is anticipated to be a hard Union Push on Harper's Ferry at some point.

General Jackson will take two remaining brigades to Harper's Ferry and begin digging in there.

I have ordered that rails leading to Harper's Ferry be cut and General Jackson has informed me that the 1st Virginia cavalry has been assigned to the task and should be able to complete the operation quickly and without fail. Should our cavalry encounter any significant resistance, they will be ordered to rejoin General Jackson in Harper's Ferry.

I have issued General Winder orders to move west with his force and take a position in Pensacola, FL in anticipation for an attack on Fort Pickens. I will request the use of some rolling stock for his transport, he should arrive in Pensacola by Mid to late August. I will send word to General Johnston of my intentions for this command and notification that Winder will, until the operation is a success, be under his command.

I humbly request, in anticipation of what will be an attempt at several of our port cities on the eastern coast, added militia reinforcements in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina to be sent to protect our vital ports there.

A small brigade from Huger's command in Norfolk has been sent to garrison Covington as ordered. I would ask for permission to use a portion of our river transport to shift forces from Magruder's command to Norfolk to help suppliment Huger's force.

I am troubled to receive reports that there are no soldiers being trained to fill the needs of our armies should they be engaged. I fear with our relatively light stock of human resources compared to our Federal counterparts, if our armies do not receive replacements, we may very well be bled into submission. I humbly request that our brave formations in the field receive all the support which may be offered them.

These are my orders. I hope they meet with your satisfaction. I would gladly receive your objections and act to correct them if possible.

Your humble servant,
General Robert E. Lee
Eastern Department of the Confederacy[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:33 am

[font="Courier New"]General A.S. Johnston
Western Department of the Confederacy

General,

I have ordered forces under General Winder into your Department sir. Winder's troops will be given to you to execute the successful capture of Federally held Fort Pickens, south of Pensacola. These orders come straight from the President's desk. I am of the notion that the sooner the strike on Pickens, the better.

General Winder has 5,000 good troops for you to use.

I would also like to outline control of Florida. If you feel Comfortable, sir, I propose we split control of the state along the western border of Georgia, extending south to the Gulf. Everything to the east of that line shall be under my command, Pensacola and the surrounding area west of it shall be under yours. I would ask for you opinion on this proposal. I appreciate your consideration.

Good luck at Pickens sir!

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee
Eastern Department of the Confederacy.[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:26 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Theophilus H. Holmes

Our nation is in need of great efforts, we hope you accept the command proposed by your superiors.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:04 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Transport restrictions.
We have limited transport assets, however, moving our troops as fast as posible is of the utter importance.

You have each permission for make use half of the transport assets available. Any surplus is to be requested properly.

Avoid moving more a 2 week move on railroad if possible, in order to better coordination.

Troops moving more than a 2 weeks march on foot, should travel on railroad if available.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:13 pm

[font="Courier New"]Mr. President,

Acting in concert with the direction of Generals A.S. and J.E. Johnston, and with the guidance of our Lord God who surely watches over us all, I have issued the following orders to my various field commands:

* Stephens Bde. to Island #10.

* 1st TN. Bde. to the rail junction at Clarksville, TN. (This Bde. has staffing for more than the single Rgt. they now command. Do we have recruits to fill their ranks?)

* Wood's Bde., 1st TN Cav. and McClungs Horse Arty. Bn. to Forts Henry and Donelson.

* Shaver's and Cleburne's Bdes., as well as Triggs and Hubbards Arty. Bns. to assault Bowling Green and set up defensive works upon it's capture.

* Brewer's Cav. Rgt. to Charleston, MO to scout the enemy positions at Cairo, IL.

* Gen. Price's newly formed Div. will fall back to Springfield to await more men and equipments. Campbell's Cav. Rgt. will cut the rails at Jefferson City and then march to Rolla to destroy the rail and supply depot there as well. McBrides TX Militia will support these movements.

* Cavalry raiders are en route to New Albany, IN., Louisville, KY, and Salem, IL.

Please note: I have made use of a large portion of our rail and river transport sectios to effect all of these dispositions.

Blessings upon you, your family and further, our young nation.

Your most humble servant,
Maj. Gen. Leonidas Polk[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:26 pm

I request a provisional corps command for Gen. J.E. Johnston for the current period, up until my staff is in place and can directly coordinate the commands in my theater.

Also, I would advise an executive order to Generals Jackson, Holmes and Bonham for the purpose of each of them organizing staff for a corps command.

I have ordered Gen. Winder to halt his march in Columbus, GA to await additional regiments to join his command.

Do we have men training? It is imperative that we have men in daily, close-order drills. We must also begin teaching the rudiments of artillery training to our men in the rear as well. I will do my best to organize collection camps for mounts in my theater, but we will need the men and equipage to put them in the field.

Respectfully,
A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:51 pm

[font="Courier New"]To the office of the President of the Confederate State's of America

Mr. President,

I would humbly accept your reccomendations regarding the formation of the Army of the Potomac. I fear, however that should we form the neccessary Corps for the army at this juncture with Generals Holmes and Bohnam reportedly being of unsound capacity to undertake the command, we may suffer on the battlefield from the bane of two unprepared commanders.

I am of the firm belief that the enemy will strike very soon and an army not sufficiently commanded under one man, is far better than an army burdened with the penalties of TWO senior generals. I fear that the current malodies that seem to be affecting the judgement of General Bohnam and General Holmes may prevent them from performing to their utmost on the battlefield.

I believe it to be a case of the "lesser of two evils" Mr. President. However, should you see it best that the Army be formed otherwise at this time, I will gladly make the necessary adjustments.

Regarding General Jackson, I would authorize the formation of a Corps under his command immediately. His force is, according to reports, more than ready for a fight and he has wired me of his eagerness to be given a higher command.

As always, Your humble servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:51 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

As you explain, General Beauregard is to hold command for all troops deployed in Manasas.

As I m not as skilled as you in those matters, I can not confirm what the best option is.

However, our staff in Richmond demands for those Senior general receiving a command.

General Johnston agree in foming additional commands.
As seems General Holmes has clearly denied command in this moment, I believe at least General Bonham should be assigned a corps.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:56 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

As troops for filling lost men are still a month for training, and our manpower is so limited, I recommend any advance into enemy positions be done at the maximum caution possible, to avoid unnecesary battles and futile losses.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Coregonas wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"]

As you explain, General Beauregard is to hold command for all troops deployed in Manasas.

As I m not as skilled as you in those matters, I can not confirm what the best option is.

However, our staff in Richmond demands for those Senior general receiving a command.

General Johnston agree in foming additional commands.
As seems General Holmes has clearly denied command in this moment, I believe at least General Bonham should be assigned a corps.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Mr. President,

I am glad we can reach a compromise on the matter sir. I will send staff and personnell to General Bohnam right away, along with some of Virginia's finest tobbacco :) .

He is sure to accept a higher command then...although the tobbacco may mire his judgement slightly.

I'll send the orders straight away.

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 3:19 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston; General Robert E. Lee

I Congratulate General Polk & Colonel Shaver for their current success in capturing main objectives in Kentucky.

We are happy to see we are also holding all our positions in the Manasas area.

Waiting for your reports.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 3:33 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Magruder division assets are now ready for dispatch, use them wisely.

General Bushrod Johnson is asking for commandment. If he is not to be needed, we should put him under Eastern Command.

General Huger should be sent to a front line... and Norfolk garrison seems overloaded. You are allowed to send all units desired via RR to Manasas or any other first line city. Remember Congress is still asking for General Holmes getting his own command.

General Jackson seems in a difficult situation, unsupported far from the main army. Can be something be done about this? Capturing Loudon Hills with General Bonham troops can be useful?

Finally I need your report about situation and future orders about Smith Division, 3rd Reserve & 15th Virginia Brigades.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 3:48 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

As General Winder troops have been transfered to you as a provisional measure, I request not to show those forces to the enemy until the moment arises. Sparta AL can be a good place for concentration. Can some other senior brigadier generals be detached during the next weeks for the assault?

Finally, I believe General Floyd command should defend all the Stewart area instead of garrisining the fort. However, a lone artillery detachment must be kept protecting the fort, until extra militia troops arise. Some surely false rumours have arrived about him hiding in the fort and letting the troops stand unprotected. I ll take some measures on this.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 4:14 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston; General Robert E. Lee

As transport assets are so reduced, the congress has decided to start some heavy investments in Railroads. Hope this can help in moving our troops with ease.

After the illegal confiscation edict, our people is now more prone to enlist. A mobilization is going to be done, hope next month we could add around 60extra battalions to our new army. Use them at your discretion, just better add them to existing brigades once trained, prepare new brigades either for garrison duty or new divisions.

About existing garrisons in first line of battle, consider getting them in the outskirts of the city, to avoid being besieged or assaulted for a large force without salvation. We should avoid being hit the same way we ve made in the Kentucky battles.

Finally, we must try to hide our real combat capability to the enemy and protect rail lines with the main front. Perhaps single cavalry regiments can do the job once some could be available.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 02, 2008 6:18 pm

[font="Courier New"]To the White House of the Confederacy

Mr. President Sir,

I have yet to receive all dispatches from the front, but all orders are received and will be carried out to the best of my ability.

As ever, your humble servant,

General Robert E. Lee
Eastern Department of the Confederacy
[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 03, 2008 7:45 am

All orders have been dispatched with haste. I am surprised to find that General McDowell has chosen to remain still in Alexandria. I believe the time to sieze the initiative is upon us.

As proposed I will send General Bohnam's Corps North to occupy the Hills around Leesburg in Loudon County, VA. He is ordered to push past anything that comes across his path. General Holmes' newly formed Corps, along with General Beauregard's HQ and guard will remain dug in around Mannassas to defend an enemy advance there.

Regarding General Smith. With his skill and audacity, I am sure that he will be successful in the coming days. However for now, I have ordered him to remain along the B&O line east of town and rest his men after the hard march. The only concern for General Smith's command is a patchwork of Federal volunteer Brigades located just east of Cumberland, PA. With rails a full 5 to 6 days march away, it is unlikely this command will be able to reach Smith's force before he is able to organize a suitable defense. He has, however, been ordered to withdraw if pressed beyond his capability.

General Huger was ordered to march his command out of Norfolk north toward Richmond, in consideration for the needs of our armies elsewhere, I will not request any rail assets for Huger at this time. His presence is not immediately necessary in the Northern sector of Virginia.

Magruder, However, has been relieved of his command at James City and will move north by rail to join the main army there.

The 1st Virginia Cavalry has been ordered to tear up the rails runing through Frederick City, MD then pursue a likely Federal raiding party and destroy it. If nothing else, the combat experience gained from the fight will be of value.

I request rail transport for the following:

The troops being sent to Garrison Covington, VA
and
Supply trains being sent to the AoP

These are my orders. I await your approval and reccomendations.

Your Humble Servant,
General Robert E. Lee

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat May 03, 2008 3:35 pm

I have received your dispatches regarding organizing militia regiments throughout MO, however, I must protest. I do not think the time is right to call out our loyal citizens and place such hardships on them as war demands until we have a stronger hold on the region. If you feel that they must be raised, I will put them to as effective use as their training allows.

I will maintain active raiding forces throughout my theater, but all other commands are holding fast on present positions.

J.E. Johnston has informed me he will take command in Bowling Green within the next two weeks.

My compliments,
A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 03, 2008 6:11 pm

[font="Courier New"]URGENT--URGENT--URGENT

Mr. President,

A dispatch was received today from General Smith, east of Grafton, WV. He has taken it upon himself to advance into the mountains surrounding the town in order to position himself more favorably for an attack. He has informed me that he will not seek battle immediately and will withdraw if confronted with more than his command is capable of handling on its own.

After much thought, I have decided to allow the move, but would request that General Smith be allowed to utilize the screening forces of the 1st Virginia Cavalry. So I have written orders to General Jackson to detach the cavalry once they have completed the destruction of the rails in Frederick and send them through Harper's Ferry, by rail west to join smith around Grafton.

I believe that Smith will be able to avoid the militia that seem content to stay in their trenches around the town. Smith has informed me that it is a mission designed to better observe the enemy's position. I have forwarded all information to you and would require you full approval before sending General Smith mine.

Your Humble Servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

We agree on staying on the defensive for a while.

Im just modifing orders for MO militia being raised. Other state battalions will be raised instead.

My advisors misunderstood your needs on garrisoning Missouri cities, as the city of Rolla is now being garrisoned by Colonel Mc Bride battalion. I myself understood due to this you desired to protect for a while those cities. As federals can start an offensive, should not him join Price troops inmediatly?

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 04, 2008 9:03 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

We fear somewhat an early offensive of the enemy. If Loudon hills are going to be occupied, we ask for maximum caution in the advance. From now on, until the reinforcements arrive, we ask for avoiding contact with the enemy until our positions get time enough to be fully prepared. Also, as all the other corps in the area are severely understrentgh, the congress feels than the Norfolk command with the heavy artillery included could be a lot more useful by sending him to join Beauregard headquarters inmediatly. Magruder cavalry and the virginia battalion should be also sent perhaps to join Beauregard.

General Johnston is going to stay on the defensive for a while, you should use all of our railroad transport to move your army.

Smith troops seem not totally supported, we ask for a cautious aproach, perhaps general Bushrod Johnson could be sent with him to help a faster reorganization of the troops, before starting the next move.

Could 1st Virginia cavalry brigade be sent it to a back area for refit with new battalions?

Finally, Im still in need for some solution for 3rd reserve brigade. He is stuck in the hills without supply enough. Please send him some supply this weeks.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 pm

reccommendations received and all reinforcements are being sent to the Army as requested. 3rd Reserve will be sent supplies as requested. I have ordered General Smith not to advance upon Grafton, he will be joined by General Johnson and rest before making the final push.

I have ordered General Bohnam to be wary of any enemy advance and avoid contact in moving against Loudon Hills.

I Thank you for your reccommendations.

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 06, 2008 11:32 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

General Beauregard is to be ordered to regroup all troops traveling to Manasas into his command.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 08, 2008 6:40 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
Congratulations for our success in holding all fronts.

Our main efforts are to be made in improving our defenses.

Some extra rail assets have been organized in order to move reinforcements as fast as possible at your discretion.

A few more troops are to be raised monthly, but don´t expect too much for a couple months. The rangers in Texas are going to be raised now, as some other few militia battalions.

No assets for extra division headquarters are available during next 2 weeks.

The northern navy has blockaded our capitol, but there is nothing we can really do in this moment, apart from risking our small navy in breaking it. It is going to be somewhat more useful in bringing some useful resources back home.

Waiting for your reports and proposals.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 08, 2008 7:55 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Colonel Brewer Cavalry has really done a superb performance in Cairo outskirts. Unfortunately news arrived just a few men seem to have survived.

Hope they can come back home safely.... Could you give those men a safer place, perhaps attach it to some of our main brigades?

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”