johnnycai
Major

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Mr. President,
How will we execute our communications?

Jabberwock

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Right here is fine for the pre-game, unless there is an issue to address by PM or email. Once the campaign starts we should start an in-character only thread (or I'll edit this one).

I think to start, Ohio should be west. We may want to adjust that later, as the front tends to shift southward more rapidly in the west.

In the east, I plan to use New England as the major base for amphib ops, passing control to the relevent CinC once the troops are "feet-dry".
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Jabberwock

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:05 pm

I have my ideas about strategy, but I'd like to hear your ideas before I start meddling too much.

That said, I want to do a massive amphib invasion of Florida and Georgia in mid-late '62.

Jabberwock

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:39 pm

Andrew - Please fill me in on your ideas for the Eastern theater. List specific concerns, and requirements for addressing those concerns. Departments should include Piedmont, Central, and Tidewater. Also let me know what you think will be the most effective objectives for amphibious operations to coordinate with your forces.

Johnny - You have more areas of responsibility to start with: Far West, MO/AR, Western KY/TN, Central/Eastern KY/TN. Please list your concerns and requirements, split out into those departments.

Also, I'm not as familiar with specific setup and events issues in the July scenario as I should be. Either of you please feel free to educate me. Any specific issues or thoughts on the features of 1.09e are welcome, as well.

AndrewKurtz

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:21 am

My thoughts are that we need to be active in Virginia, but it should not be the primary effort.

The primary effort should initially be to take and raze Ft. Donelson and Island 10 in the west, thus eliminating the key forts that stop our control of the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers. If done quickly, we can force the enemy to evacate Kentucky and possibly Nashville or face being cutoff by active naval forces. The bulk of available resources should be assigned to these tasks.

If we manage to make a breakthrough in Virginia, excellent, but the primary goal in Virginia should be to pin down and attrite the enemy forces. We will need to keep a covering force in place for DC. We will also need sufficient forces to stop and react quickly to all enemy raids.

As part of this overall strategy in the easy, one possibility is to use the covering force (a Corps) in position to be quickly moved to Philadelphia for your proposed invasion of Florida/Georgia.

Also, if possible, we should launch an early invasion of the Shenandoah and Norfolk to provide two other possible axis from which to advance upon Richmond.

I am interested to hear discussions of what you see as the most likely amphibious targets.

Jabberwock

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:53 am

AndrewKurtz wrote:My thoughts are that we need to be active in Virginia, but it should not be the primary effort.

The primary effort should initially be to take and raze Ft. Donelson and Island 10 in the west, thus eliminating the key forts that stop our control of the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers. If done quickly, we can force the enemy to evacate Kentucky and possibly Nashville or face being cutoff by active naval forces. The bulk of available resources should be assigned to these tasks.

If we manage to make a breakthrough in Virginia, excellent, but the primary goal in Virginia should be to pin down and attrite the enemy forces. We will need to keep a covering force in place for DC. We will also need sufficient forces to stop and react quickly to all enemy raids.

As part of this overall strategy in the easy, one possibility is to use the covering force (a Corps) in position to be quickly moved to Philadelphia for your proposed invasion of Florida/Georgia.

Also, if possible, we should launch an early invasion of the Shenandoah and Norfolk to provide two other possible axis from which to advance upon Richmond.

I am interested to hear discussions of what you see as the most likely amphibious targets.

Excellent. I believe we have very similar views about your situation.

My priorities for you in Central VA:

1. Preserve the Army.
2. Protect the Capitol.
3. Establish a reaction force appropriate to the aggressiveness of the rebels.
4. Establish a cohesive front line. (preferably along the Rappahanock by spring '62)
5. Push forward, attempting to cut between or around enemy forces, rather than attacking large concentrations head on.

My priorities for you in the Piedmont:

1. Protect Grafton.
2. Establish a forward base for raiding.
3. Force the Shenandoah force to retreat, preferably towards the mountains in winter.

My priorities for us the Tidewater:

1. Protect Fortress Monroe.
2. Raid across the James into southern VA to destroy rail. Possible targets - Henrico, Dinwiddie, Sussex, Waverly, Warwick. Some of these should be done prior to a major landing, some in conjuction with a landing. Henrico also offers the possibility of cutting rail behind a reaction force, slowing its return and allowing manuever at the front line. Please consider Hanover and Tappahanock as additional diversionary targets.
3. Take Norfolk if possible, if not, take either Edenton or Petersburg as a diversion.
4. Push forward onto the James Peninsula if possible.

My immediate naval/amphibious priorities:

1. Support for VA forces and raiders.
2. Cut rail / destroy supplies and depots on a state-by-state basis as a preparation for future landings. This avoids triggering too many state reaction forces. In the east, I plan to concentrate initial raids in SC, along the PeeDee River. This is a good area to seriously interfere with travel and supply along the coastal railway. It is far enough from Virginia to make reacting with more than local defenses bothersome. It also is unlikely to trigger any defensive reaction further south. It has an excellent network of adjacent rivers for movement and escape.
3. Blockade Richmond.

Your suggestion about using the covering force amphibiously is excellent. We should revisit the idea as the situation develops. For the immediate future, I'd suggest three brigade-sized forces, one ready for Del-Mar-Va, one for Southern PA, and one deep (northern NJ maybe?).

In regards to Norfolk, do you prefer a one-step (take the landing penalties in return for surprise), two-step (assault from a preliminary objective such as Edenton or Suffolk), or three-step (small "raiding" force takes a preliminary obective where the assault force lands) process? This affects what I need to accomplish, and how we deal with the hand-off to put the troops under your command. If you would prefer, you can handle the landing as well.

I suspect the rebels will give higher priority to the east than the west. This would mean that our initial strategy here should be primarily defensive and reactive. We will need to re-assess regularly. If we can form a solid line, occupy large portions of the Shenandoah Valley, and have the initiative in time for next year's campaign season, I will be very satisfied.

johnnycai
Major

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Andrew - Please fill me in on your ideas for the Eastern theater. List specific concerns, and requirements for addressing those concerns. Departments should include Piedmont, Central, and Tidewater. Also let me know what you think will be the most effective objectives for amphibious operations to coordinate with your forces.

Johnny - You have more areas of responsibility to start with: Far West, MO/AR, Western KY/TN, Central/Eastern KY/TN. Please list your concerns and requirements, split out into those departments.

Also, I'm not as familiar with specific setup and events issues in the July scenario as I should be. Either of you please feel free to educate me. Any specific issues or thoughts on the features of 1.09e are welcome, as well.

My Prez,
Also am not sure of July'61 dispostion also so will check and provide more detail.

Far West- I would like to reinforce/depot Tucson and keep it for US. Usually a couple of battery's and 2-4 inf. regiments with Sumner taking command.

MO/AR- Rollo should be targetted for '61, but can wait till Cairo/Paducah are secure. Will need more troops in case of St. Louis riots. In '62 is when I usually send Fremont/Halleck with Lyon(if available) to take Springfield and onward to Ft. Smith from Rollo area.

W-Ky/TN- Hold Paducah/Cairo at all costs. I expect Johnnyreb to attack there, but with a reaction force nearby, our forces can usually make that a short and painful stab for the rebs. Paducah is great as the stepping-stone to TN and for limiting reb rivercraft in that area. I request Gen. French to command Paducah for his superior arty-shooting skills. Unless they are weakly defended, I lean to delay(Apr62? and Grant is Army commander hopefully) the attack on the forts as they can be really messy if rebs are ready to counter.

EastKy-If we agree that Ky will be invaded in '61, then I like to take Lexington as early as possible and be prepared for the counter strikes at Bowling Green and Paducah. I suggest a depot for BG as soon as forces there require the supply boost, not too early if BG is threatened obviously.

Overall my strategy/tactics favour using rivercraft to drop large, well-supplied independant forces behind the rebs main lines. If the rebs threaten Tucson, I would suggest an amphib force go for Galveston for example. If they hold the Nashville/FtDonelson/Columbus/Island10 line well, then I suggest sail to cut their line in half on either side of FtDonelson and mass the forces to overcome the weaker side. Isolate and then hammer.

My requests for early troops would be cav for MO/IT, militia to free-up US army reg. in IT/FarWest for Tucson. Arty/cav/inf for Cairo/Paducah defences. Forces for Lexington assault and BG defence. 2-3 small brigades for Ashland to take out Clarksburg/Prestonburg (depending on the East/West situation, this could be where we get Grant into the action quick.)

johnnycai
Major

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Andrew - Please fill me in on your ideas for the Eastern theater. List specific concerns, and requirements for addressing those concerns. Departments should include Piedmont, Central, and Tidewater. Also let me know what you think will be the most effective objectives for amphibious operations to coordinate with your forces.

My Prez,
Also am not sure of July'61 dispostion also so will check and provide more detail later.

Far West- I would like to reinforce/depot Tucson and keep it for US. Usually a couple of battery's and 2-4 inf. regiments with Sumner taking command.

MO/AR- Rollo should be targetted for '61, but can wait till Cairo/Paducah are secure. Will need more troops in case of St. Louis riots. In '62 is when I usually send Fremont/Halleck with Lyon(if available) to take Springfield and onward to Ft. Smith from Rollo area.

W-Ky/TN- Hold Paducah/Cairo at all costs. I expect Johnnyreb to attack there, but with a reaction force nearby, our forces can usually make that a short and painful stab for the rebs. Paducah is great as the stepping-stone to TN and for limiting reb rivercraft in that area. I request Gen. French to command Paducah for his superior arty-shooting skills. Unless they are weakly defended, I lean to delay(Apr62? and Grant is Army commander hopefully) the attack on the forts as they can be really messy if rebs are ready to counter.

EastKy-If we agree that Ky will be invaded in '61, then I like to take Lexington as early as possible and be prepared for the counter strikes at Bowling Green and Paducah. I suggest a depot for BG as soon as forces there require the supply boost, not too early if BG is threatened obviously.

Overall my strategy/tactics favour using rivercraft to drop large, well-supplied independant forces behind the rebs main lines. If the rebs threaten Tucson, I would suggest an amphib force go for Galveston for example. If they hold the Nashville/FtDonelson/Columbus/Island10 line well, then I suggest sail to cut their line in half on either side of FtDonelson and mass the forces to overcome the weaker side. Isolate and then hammer.

My requests for early troops would be cav for MO/IT, militia to free-up US army reg. in IT/FarWest for Tucson. Arty/cav/inf for Cairo/Paducah defences. Forces for Lexington assault and BG defence. 2-3 small brigades for Ashland to take out Clarksburg/Prestonburg (depending on the East/West situation, this could be where we get Grant into the action quick.)

AndrewKurtz

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Central VA: We are in complete agreement in Central VA. I will need cavalry first to react to raid, suggest militia in all cities within raiding distance ASAP and additional troops as available. I will attempt to manuevuer the CSA from Manasass without a direct attack.

Piedmont: What are your thoughts on the targetlocation for a forward base? An existing town? Creation of a forward Depot?

Tidewater: I'd like to land at Suffolk, cut off the rebel ability to reinforce Norfolk, hold Suffolk with a covering force and seize Norfolk. I am fine if you would handle the landing.

I prefer a West first strategy, but we need to keep pressure on as many fronts as possible to force the rebel forces to be stretched thin.

Provide me sufficient troops to create four brigade level covering forces. I will place them in a corps to act as a reaction force, but the individual brigades can be pulled when needed for amphibious invasions.

Jabberwock

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:Central VA: We are in complete agreement in Central VA. I will need cavalry first to react to raid, suggest militia in all cities within raiding distance ASAP and additional troops as available. I will attempt to manuevuer the CSA from Manasass without a direct attack.

I will try to provide a few extra, so that you can do some raiding of your own.

AndrewKurtz wrote:Piedmont: What are your thoughts on the targetlocation for a forward base? An existing town? Creation of a forward Depot?

Covington.

AndrewKurtz wrote:Tidewater: I'd like to land at Suffolk, cut off the rebel ability to reinforce Norfolk, hold Suffolk with a covering force and seize Norfolk. I am fine if you would handle the landing.

Settled.

AndrewKurtz wrote:I prefer a West first strategy, but we need to keep pressure on as many fronts as possible to force the rebel forces to be stretched thin.

Absolutely.

AndrewKurtz wrote:Provide me sufficient troops to create four brigade level covering forces. I will place them in a corps to act as a reaction force, but the individual brigades can be pulled when needed for amphibious invasions.

I will try for four, no promises.

Jabberwock

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 am

johnnycai wrote:Far West- I would like to reinforce/depot Tucson and keep it for US. Usually a couple of battery's and 2-4 inf. regiments with Sumner taking command.

Tuscon/Santa Fe should be a priority. I'm not sure how much time it takes to travel between western regions in this version, but that is the one area that hooks into them all. I would prefer if you could use one or two brigadiers, sending Sumner east for an eventual corps command. If we are using redeployment, then go ahead and use Sumner. You may want to consider burning the Indians out, at least from the IT villages. Those villages don't provide much in the way of supplies and VP for our forces, but they make nice raiding bases for Indians and Rangers.

johnnycai wrote:MO/AR- Rollo should be targetted for '61, but can wait till Cairo/Paducah are secure. Will need more troops in case of St. Louis riots. In '62 is when I usually send Fremont/Halleck with Lyon(if available) to take Springfield and onward to Ft. Smith from Rollo area.

I'd prefer not to wait on Rolla. The priority is definitely Cairo/Paducah, but please send something to Rolla ASAP and entrench there, even if it is just a militia.

johnnycai wrote:W-Ky/TN- Hold Paducah/Cairo at all costs. I expect Johnnyreb to attack there, but with a reaction force nearby, our forces can usually make that a short and painful stab for the rebs. Paducah is great as the stepping-stone to TN and for limiting reb rivercraft in that area. I request Gen. French to command Paducah for his superior arty-shooting skills. Unless they are weakly defended, I lean to delay(Apr62? and Grant is Army commander hopefully) the attack on the forts as they can be really messy if rebs are ready to counter.

We are in complete agreement here. I will have Gen. French transferred to your command as soon as he appears. I prefer to target Nashville first, then the forts, but I defer to your judgement. If you can get a strong force into Humphreys, you have the key to both Nashville and Donelson.

johnnycai wrote:EastKy-If we agree that Ky will be invaded in '61, then I like to take Lexington as early as possible and be prepared for the counter strikes at Bowling Green and Paducah. I suggest a depot for BG as soon as forces there require the supply boost, not too early if BG is threatened obviously.

Let's see how the rebs react to the buildup in Paducah. If we can create a problem for them there I think we can afford to be a little patient with Kentucky. Move all the militias outside the cities with defend/retreat orders (except at Louisville - I leave it up to you how to hold there), secure the railroads, and post some gunboats along the Ohio. Certainly use some of the existing supply wagons to create a depot at BG. You will get some new ones eventually. I will go heavy on the cav reinforcements for you, see if you can lure a reb hunter stack through BG first before concentrating there. Be extremely careful operating around Prestonburg. By no means should any troops move into Boyd, KY (the region along the river between Prestonburg and Clarksburg). The KY events use this area as a trigger location rather than Floyd (Prestonburg).

johnnycai wrote:Overall my strategy/tactics favour using rivercraft to drop large, well-supplied independant forces behind the rebs main lines. If the rebs threaten Tucson, I would suggest an amphib force go for Galveston for example. If they hold the Nashville/FtDonelson/Columbus/Island10 line well, then I suggest sail to cut their line in half on either side of FtDonelson and mass the forces to overcome the weaker side. Isolate and then hammer.

I will try to have the forces available to do this. I plan to bring bring two Cavalry regiments into the Western Gulf first, then see if we can get something more substantial. I'd favor diversionary strikes at the White Lake towns, and then onward to Texas. Hopefully the rebs have read my strategy posts about Louisiana, and will react massively, thinking this is the prelude to a major invasion there. I think if we can take and hold Pensacola, Tallahassee, and most (maybe all) of Texas, that balances not invading Louisiana anytime soon. Please comment.

johnnycai wrote:My requests for early troops would be cav for MO/IT, militia to free-up US army reg. in IT/FarWest for Tucson. Arty/cav/inf for Cairo/Paducah defences. Forces for Lexington assault and BG defence. 2-3 small brigades for Ashland to take out Clarksburg/Prestonburg (depending on the East/West situation, this could be where we get Grant into the action quick.)

3-4 CA/KS militia, a mix for the central area (heavy on the cav and art), would the loan of the 2nd and 5th brigades of Patterson's NVA be sufficient for Prestonburg if I can get you an artillery battery as well?

Jabberwock

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:04 am

I've created an in-character thread for communication. I think we are ready to continue the conversation there.

johnnycai
Major

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:46 pm

[quote="Jabberwock"]I would prefer if you could use one or two brigadiers, sending Sumner east for an eventual corps command. If we are using redeployment, then go ahead and use Sumner. You may want to consider burning the Indians out, at least from the IT villages. Those villages don't provide much in the way of supplies and VP for our forces, but they make nice raiding bases for Indians and Rangers.

[SIZE="3"][I][SIZE="4"]I believe Sumner begins near Ft. Leavenworth and if the War Dept. wishes to use the redeploy's for generals for the West, thats fine.[/size] [/size][/I]

I'd prefer not to wait on Rolla. The priority is definitely Cairo/Paducah, but please send something to Rolla ASAP and entrench there, even if it is just a militia.

[SIZE="3"]The US starts with Rollo in July'61?...will do some checking/testing this evening.[/size]

We are in complete agreement here. I will have Gen. French transferred to your command as soon as he appears. I prefer to target Nashville first, then the forts, but I defer to your judgement. If you can get a strong force into Humphreys, you have the key to both Nashville and Donelson.

[SIZE="3"]I agree, Humphreys via Clarksville and BG is vital. I will do this strike at first opportunity. The BG depot (btw, use transports to build it) will be needed first(or at the time of the offensive). A fleet to run the forts(in the riverzone between Donelson and Clarksville) to prevent retreat path from being cut-off and likely another fleet(smallish, enough to survive the fort) to block movement/reinforcements from Henry,TN or from downriver Ft. Donelson/Humphreys would likely be needed for this bold move.[/size]

I think we can afford to be a little patient with Kentucky. Move all the militias outside the cities with defend/retreat orders (except at Louisville - I leave it up to you how to hold there), secure the railroads, and post some gunboats along the Ohio. Certainly use some of the existing supply wagons to create a depot at BG. You will get some new ones eventually. I will go heavy on the cav reinforcements for you, see if you can lure a reb hunter stack through BG first before concentrating there. Be extremely careful operating around Prestonburg. By no means should any troops move into Boyd, KY (the region along the river between Prestonburg and Clarksburg). The KY events use this area as a trigger location rather than Floyd (Prestonburg).

[SIZE="3"]Understood[/size]

IHopefully the rebs have read my strategy posts about Louisiana, and will react massively, thinking this is the prelude to a major invasion there. I think if we can take and hold Pensacola, Tallahassee, and most (maybe all) of Texas, that balances not invading Louisiana anytime soon. Please comment.QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]I think late '62 is the earliest I would suggest a major amphib invasion in Texas or Louisiana except for Suffolk/Norfolk which I completely agree should be assaulted as soon as the N. Virginia line is settled.[/size]

Jabberwock

Gaming a gamey event.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Forward to Richmond - How do we want to deal with it?

In an April game I will cut lots of rail early, and dump about 15-20 loose militia at various places that are "Close to Richmond", with orders to run around and cause havoc. For instance, a half-dozen hit Petersburg while cav raiders move in from the west; then the Petersburg force runs up the James, while one more hits Henrico to cut rail behind whatever showed up at Petersburg, and another 10 arrive in Tappahannock while one of the raiders moves to Hanover to cut rail; if there is a strong reaction to that, dump some in Charles City ... I wind up with some dead militia, some trained militia, and usually avoid the NM hit. The reb commander has some torn up infrastructure and personal demoralization.

Starting in July, we have no time to prepare for this. Also looks like Petersburg is no longer in the zone in later 1.09 versions. So do we just eat the 10 NM penalty? If we are resigned to that, then should I do some massive drafting early, because our NM will not achieve a pre-event level anytime soon?

Jabberwock

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:32 pm

johnnycai wrote:[SIZE="3"]The US starts with Rollo in July'61?...will do some checking/testing this evening.[/size]

We don't start with Rolla, but it is empty. I think the standard reb move is to occupy it with a small force early, blow up the depot and rail, and leave. If we can grab it early and only lightly defend it (maybe 2-3 militia), that is more incentive for the rebs to come deeper into Missouri, and it will be that much easier to defeat them in detail (using someone we want to promote), while circling around and taking the important depots behind them using cavalry. It also might be a good place to stick someone who needs a seniority hit (like Fremont).

johnnycai wrote:[SIZE="3"]The BG depot (btw, use transports to build it)[/size]

Doh! Sometimes I forget these things when I'm not in the middle of a game.

Jabberwock

lord high bozos -seniority ideas

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Patterson should run to DC on turn 1, rendezvous with the troops assigned to building the outer defenses, and create a corps for Winfield Scott to take over, before heading southwest for a little personal scouting in the Shenandoah. (Unless Andrew has a better use for him?)

long term:

1) I will be requiring Banks' (7,12) services for the NYC harbor defenses, for the duration. The next available recruiter (McClernand, I believe) will handle the Capitol Defence Command (the inner defense of the city); with the one after that going to Boston; if there is another, Chicago.

2) The McC (4,25 / 1,100 / 4,100 / 4,50) quandry? I usually decide after I see how things are going. If there is one area where I don't expect to make progress, but I need a decent defender, that's where he goes. I usually leave him in the west when redeployment is used - sending an army to him. I bring him east when it isn't.

3) If I get stalled in Missouri or Arkansas, Halleck (13,10) takes over there, due to his forager ability. Otherwise I think his best use is as a backup corps commander for a deep amphib-in-force.

4) Butler (6,20) maybe occupies Norfolk after somebody competent takes it? He can form a 3rd eastern army there if required. As soon as I have another leader available for Monroe, I send Butler north to form a corps, then decide where he goes.

5) I usually give Fremont (5,20) a rear-echelon corps command, someplace like Nashville, Donelson, Paducah, Cairo, Louisville, after the front has moved on. He is expensive to bypass, however.

6) Buell (11,10) holds Jefferson City or Bowling Green, depending on who else is in the area, and how the loyalty events went in those states.

7) McD (9,15) works for holding the line in VA, but someone with a decent strat will eventually have to head east for offensive operations, unless Hooker does especially well. By mid-63 there are about 20 corps commanders available, having two armies in the east is a requirement; and Meade, Reynolds, or Hancock take some time to develop if Hooker isn't ready.

8) The Pope-ster (14, 7 **) a competent free safety. Using him aggressively allows for considerable obnoxious taunting (by both sides), hopefully we will have a reporter by then.

9) "Dutch" Rosecrans (12,7) is my work-horse for the west from the time he appears until someone better is available. If he can get a few seniority points prior to his army command (superceding Buell), so much the better.

The numbers are (Seniority, PolValue)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Union Moves!

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Very good JW! Butler to NO and Burnside to the coast of NC. Halleck in St. Louis and Grant to Move down the Mississippi with help of Sherman. Buell in Nashville with Thomas moving further South when you can wake him up!! Sheridan will handle the Indian wars and pacify the Rockies and AZ. Tag :niark:

Jabberwock

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 pm

tagwyn wrote:Very good JW! Butler to NO and Burnside to the coast of NC. Halleck in St. Louis and Grant to Move down the Mississippi with help of Sherman. Buell in Nashville with Thomas moving further South when you can wake him up!! Sheridan will handle the Indian wars and pacify the Rockies and AZ. Tag :niark:

:niark:

johnnycai
Major

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:34 pm

long term:

1) I will be requiring Banks' (7,12) services for the NYC harbor defenses, for the duration. The next available recruiter (McClernand, I believe) will handle the Capitol Defence Command (the inner defense of the city); with the one after that going to Boston; if there is another, Chicago.

[SIZE="3"]Burnside shows up in the East around same-time as McClernand. I have kept McC in Chicago since he shows up in the West. With Burnside, I have done well with Phila. or Boston. I am referring to getting 7+ conscripts per city. If I 'only' get 5-6 then I move general to another big-city to try to get more.[/size]

2) The McC (4,25 / 1,100 / 4,100 / 4,50) quandry? I usually decide after I see how things are going. If there is one area where I don't expect to make progress, but I need a decent defender, that's where he goes. I usually leave him in the west when redeployment is used - sending an army to him. I bring him east when it isn't.

[SIZE="3"]Yes, I have usually used McC to take down Lexington, with Grant if he is not needed in the East in late '61. [/size]

johnnycai
Major

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Jabberwock wrote:We don't start with Rolla, but it is empty. I think the standard reb move is to occupy it with a small force early, blow up the depot and rail, and leave. If we can grab it early and only lightly defend it (maybe 2-3 militia), that is more incentive for the rebs to come deeper into Missouri, and it will be that much easier to defeat them in detail (using someone we want to promote), while circling around and taking the important depots behind them using cavalry. It also might be a good place to stick someone who needs a seniority hit (like Fremont).

Doh! Sometimes I forget these things when I'm not in the middle of a game.

Yes, confirmed, Rollo starts empty and rebs can rail there 1st turn with Price and 3 militia regs + 1arty. US doesnt have any active forces in the area until the next turn when St. Louis troops become active. My only concern is that if Cairo is attacked while I use my few active troops against Rollo, the rebs might get dug in and make the retake much more difficult. I prefer to guard Cairo with any troops available.
Comments? Suggestions?

Jabberwock

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm

johnnycai wrote:Burnside shows up in the East around same-time as McClernand. I have kept McC in Chicago since he shows up in the West. With Burnside, I have done well with Phila. or Boston. I am referring to getting 7+ conscripts per city. If I 'only' get 5-6 then I move general to another big-city to try to get more

OK, I have been mostly using the leader mod recently, where Burnside is defined as a Patriot, rather than a Recruiting Officer. I haven't figured out how to properly use patriots yet. Washington will be a good place for Burnside.

McClernand to Chicago is fine, although Boston is slightly better if we have a free redeploy at some point. Philadelphia is not as good.

Conscript & City Level
New York - 5,20
Washington - 5,6
Boston - 3,15
Chicago - 2,12
Philadelphia - 1,15
Baltimore, Cincinatti, St Louis - 1,10

Jabberwock

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:10 pm

johnnycai wrote:Yes, confirmed, Rollo starts empty and rebs can rail there 1st turn with Price and 3 militia regs + 1arty. US doesnt have any active forces in the area until the next turn when St. Louis troops become active. My only concern is that if Cairo is attacked while I use my few active troops against Rollo, the rebs might get dug in and make the retake much more difficult. I prefer to guard Cairo with any troops available.
Comments? Suggestions?

Cairo is your first concern, as it should be. Let's wait one turn, and see how much the rebs commit to Rolla. If they want to push their luck there, I think it will hurt them long term, and you know how to handle it.

Any thoughts on the draft? My proposal (in the Telegraph office thread) had only one militia and one Lt. Arty. allocated in MO on the first turn, if we don't draft right away.

johnnycai
Major

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Cairo is your first concern, as it should be. Let's wait one turn, and see how much the rebs commit to Rolla. If they want to push their luck there, I think it will hurt them long term, and you know how to handle it.

Any thoughts on the draft? My proposal (in the Telegraph office thread) had only one militia and one Lt. Arty. allocated in MO on the first turn, if we don't draft right away.

I believe waiting to gain a few more VP's (via blocade), hence additional conscripts, will be helpful in the long run. Plus we start with 300 companies able to be mobilized.

Jabberwock

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:45 pm

VPs help with money options. NM is the concern for drafts. That is why I worry about the event. Then again, if we call volunteers at a bounty, we will need bonds or a tax to pay for it. So if we only consider one form of draft right now, I'd favor mobilization, saving volunteers for the end of the year.

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”