Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Due to previsible manpower shortages, regulars will be available later in the war... Also, as arty training is long, our main brigades will be equipped with short caliber pieces, while crews for 12 pounders can be trained faster.

So I ll try to build arty in the back-areas, it is your work to save them... However dont expect guns come to the front until a few months pass.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm

I would be happy to have either Johnston or Beauregard. Do you think I will be recieving an Army HQ? Having either of them as one of my corps commanders would be great.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:49 pm

I also don't mind a wait on the guns, just want to make sure we aren't throwing away money.

Thoughts on Texas? I think the best route would be cavalry and rangers, maybe one bde. for Houston. The point is, if they come for Texas, they're gonna get it. So, I'd like to be able to scoot out as fast as possible if that happens.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Sorry but HQs are not available for building.

Expect around 2 months for having one.

Ask General Lee about sending Johnston... I believe it should go there also.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 pm

(I meant the second one, I didn't know if either of you had plans for a second army in VA or the South East. I will put it to good use as soon as it's ready!)

[font="Palatino Linotype"]General Cooper, Central War Department Offices:

I write to request the immediate transfer of General Johnston to my department. His services would be greatly valued there and I would like to appoint him to a corps level command as soon as my headquarters and staff are all in order. I have open commands for general officers all across my theater and could use any that are not already needed for posts in the East.

Respectfully,
A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:02 am

Agreed on the point about Cavalry being included in Jackson's Division. But he'll only need enough to cause some trouble. I'd say at most just the Laurel Bde....but I'd really like to get him going earlier than when that unit shows up.

I don't want to tie up too many assets on what could justifiably be called a glorified raid. Not even Jackson could hold that breach forever :) . All I really want with the move is to make the enemy think twice about the safety of his western flank....and possibly win WV over to the Confederacy....if I manage to take Wheeling.

I'm fine with the current regular army. Like I mentioned....I'll need most of the troops in 1862.

I'd say that 50-60 WS/turn in smuggling alone is wishful thinking...unless I'm misunderstood, but of course, Mr. President, the decision is yours. :hat:

I'm fine with Johnston being sent to Nashville...Jackson can take over his command.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:48 am

Are you sure you want to use Jackson for this? Maybe Magruder? Your call, I just worry about not having Jackson in VA to smash up their advances.

Thanks for sending Johnston. He'll give me another solid leader, and a great corps commander once my army gets on line.

On a side note, Longstreet is my favorite commander of the period and I would love to have him when he shows up. :sourcil:
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 am

About leaders, its of the utter importance promoting the most brigadiers to full generals, in order to lead our (hope) big army.

I believe the best leaders should go to the areas with more battle, to allow for this.

General Lee, if you believe Jackson is the ideal commander for the WV raid, go for it. And hope some of our best brigadiers can earn some glory there(Most of our best high ranked generals desire this work Huger, for instance... Magruder can be an ideal reinforcement, just Smith seems to be in the right place at the right moment).

Seems most of our points of view are clarified and agreed.

Finally, I want to ask you about the recruitment speed. I was recomended and believe the faster, the better (even achieving not the max results). But... I ll try to delay somewhat recruitment... to allow our people enthusiam as high as posible.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Coregonas wrote:About leaders, its of the utter importance promoting the most brigadiers to full generals, in order to lead our (hope) big army.

I believe the best leaders should go to the areas with more battle, to allow for this.

General Lee, if you believe Jackson is the ideal commander for the WV raid, go for it. And hope some of our best brigadiers can earn some glory there(Most of our best high ranked generals desire this work Huger, for instance... Magruder can be an ideal reinforcement, just Smith seems to be in the right place at the right moment).

General Jackson is the ONLY General for the job. I'm planning on an overland campaign against Grafton without using rails as a supply line so Jackson's "fast mover" trait will be crucial. The quicker he can get there the better.

I would hate to detract from operational success in the west, but Richmond IS worth 50 NM and seeing that our troops strength will be much lower than the enemy's I would humbly suggest restraint in sending too many of our highest calibre generals out of the eastern theatre. Of course I'm sure we can find a balance.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:07 pm

We could send some only if the front line (in manasas -HF line) could be stabilized, perhaps in the end of 61...

I m having requests from all high seniority brigadiers must be in the battle front the more the better.

Also, as a general idea, I propose assaulting instead of long term siege as much as possible. SPEED is a must. This is somewhat hard for our men, but we need heroes to bring up our morale!

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Coregonas wrote:Also, as a general idea, I propose assaulting instead of long term siege as much as possible. SPEED is a must. This is somewhat hard for our men, but we need heroes to bring up our morale!

Absolutely agree....I will write an official request once the game is underway next weekend, but it's likely that I will need three Brig Gens. to accompany Jackson into WV...I would think E.K. Smith, Magruder, and Bee to be sufficient. I would give each of them a brigade under Jackson so as to rack up as much experience and hopefully, seniority for them as possible...then we may be able to send them west as more able and accomplished Division commanders or perhaps Corps Commanders. Their stats being bumped by A.S. Johnston's could end up being pretty good...especially Smith's.

May I also inquire with you soloswolf about New Orleans? I am willing to assist with its defense in any way I can...perhaps by sending over some units from Georgia or what-not. Or perhaps for an early Assault on Ft. Pickens....if the enemy is smart...they'll know that establishing a base around Pensacola will be crucial for further operations in the gulf. Any deterrant to the "Anaconda Plan" will be a benefit to us. So let me know if you need anything.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 pm

Banks6060 wrote:Absolutely agree....I will write an official request once the game is underway next weekend, but it's likely that I will need three Brig Gens. to accompany Jackson into WV...I would think E.K. Smith, Magruder, and Bee to be sufficient. I would give each of them a brigade under Jackson so as to rack up as much experience and hopefully, seniority for them as possible...then we may be able to send them west as more able and accomplished Division commanders or perhaps Corps Commanders. Their stats being bumped by A.S. Johnston's could end up being pretty good...especially Smith's.

May I also inquire with you soloswolf about New Orleans? I am willing to assist with its defense in any way I can...perhaps by sending over some units from Georgia or what-not. Or perhaps for an early Assault on Ft. Pickens....if the enemy is smart...they'll know that establishing a base around Pensacola will be crucial for further operations in the gulf. Any deterrant to the "Anaconda Plan" will be a benefit to us. So let me know if you need anything.

Ok. Just remember Bee is been just promoted to brigadier 15 days ago and more senior officers have priority for getting future commands. Smith could even receive one of the few division commands we can form.

So what is more important... seems priority transportation should go for Magruder to quickly join Jackson... or Johnston´s?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 am

As it is turn 1, all of us know deployment... so

I ve started the War room, but not sure if we should start posting there, or wait until official "start".

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Banks6060 wrote:May I also inquire with you soloswolf about New Orleans? I am willing to assist with its defense in any way I can...perhaps by sending over some units from Georgia or what-not. Or perhaps for an early Assault on Ft. Pickens....if the enemy is smart...they'll know that establishing a base around Pensacola will be crucial for further operations in the gulf. Any deterrant to the "Anaconda Plan" will be a benefit to us. So let me know if you need anything.

I feel the best defense we can offer our prominent coastal cities is to have success and keep up the pressure on our border to the North. Having said that, they will still have the manpower to cause trouble for us. I doubt we will have the men to storm Ft. Pickens. Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans, will have to be defended as best as we can. I would take the same approach there as I would with our ships: a slow, steady build up. All things considered, a full division in LA and another from AL should be able to manage the situation until we can spot a landing point, then reinforcements can be sent to them.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:56 am

Just to clarify...

I want to invade KY. I know we will trigger them to go to the Union, but the loyalty change is slow and I think the gains far outweigh the costs.

-Pros-
*We can hold KY and TN much easier by taking Paducah and Bowling Green.
*Raids can be launched much more effectively into surrounding areas from those two points than points strictly in TN.
*Most importantly, I think taking the initiative is important. I want to dictate the terms of the fighting in my theater as much as possible. And as my lines will not hold forever, I would like to add an extra one to my defenses.

-Cons-
*The obvious: the state switches to them and they will eventually be able to build units there.
*They will get a few bonus units.

Am I missing anything? What are your thoughts?
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:23 am

soloswolf wrote:Just to clarify...

I want to invade KY. I know we will trigger them to go to the Union, but the loyalty change is slow and I think the gains far outweigh the costs.

-Pros-
*We can hold KY and TN much easier by taking Paducah and Bowling Green.
*Raids can be launched much more effectively into surrounding areas from those two points than points strictly in TN.
*Most importantly, I think taking the initiative is important. I want to dictate the terms of the fighting in my theater as much as possible. And as my lines will not hold forever, I would like to add an extra one to my defenses.

-Cons-
*The obvious: the state switches to them and they will eventually be able to build units there.
*They will get a few bonus units.

Am I missing anything? What are your thoughts?

As soon as this game starts, the clock will be ticking....in the enemy's favor. So any extra ground we can grab is good for us IMHO.

I would agree upon an offensive in KY. It would go well with a push into WV...possibly stun the other guys for an extra few months and give us time to set up a proper defense.

I strongly reccomend offensive actions to start the war.....

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:35 am

Nice. I am glad we are on the same page.

Let's shock these suckers!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:40 am

If you believe thats the best way, I ll agree.

And in the road to KY and WV, I hope all our senior brigadiers get a chance to earn some medals, and our morale upgrades a bit.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 pm

What are also your ideas on:

1) Tucson
2) Both USA forts. (Can we organize a quick assault on them, especially the gulf one?)
3) About KY, I agree with a full assault since the very first turns.

--- Just asking if we can wait for assault (Paducah / Bowling Green) just a few weeks. How much time can you delay the full assault? (Perhaps waiting simply a month can trigger KY to us :niark: we should not be stopped, raids can start.) --- Its not important anyway. Orders should be clear... Go and Occuppy Kentucky.!

I m not sure but perhaps a low rank leader capable of division command should be sent with Beauregard inmediatly, before even sending to Jackson s, and the federals can move.

This could release one of the corps commanders towards Richmond, join Lee & Cooper once released from office duties, so we can defend the capitol with a couple corps. Also it could be used as a mobile reinforcement corps once replacements arrive.

Meanwhile, Johnston should go by RR to "Nashville HQ". On next week Magruder could join Jackson. Also, Smith & Price seem to need each a division just from the start?

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Coregonas wrote:What are also your ideas on:

1) Tucson
2) Both USA forts. (Can we organize a quick assault on them, especially the gulf one?)
3) About KY, I agree with a full assault since the very first turns.

--- Just asking if we can wait for assault (Paducah / Bowling Green) just a few weeks. How much time can you delay the full assault? (Perhaps waiting simply a month can trigger KY to us :niark: we should not be stopped, raids can start.) --- Its not important anyway. Orders should be clear... Go and Occuppy Kentucky.!

I m not sure but perhaps a low rank leader capable of division command should be sent with Beauregard inmediatly, before even sending to Jackson s, and the federals can move.

This could release one of the corps commanders towards Richmond, join Lee & Cooper once released from office duties, so we can defend the capitol with a couple corps. Also it could be used as a mobile reinforcement corps once replacements arrive.

Meanwhile, Johnston should go by RR to "Nashville HQ". On next week Magruder could join Jackson. Also, Smith & Price seem to need each a division just from the start?

I think fort Monroe is an objective for very LATE 1861 or early 1862. I think we'll already have enough on our plate during the '61 campaigns for any operation there. I would propose a possible late Fall or Winter assault on Monroe after things get relatively settled down and the enemy "thinks" everything is bedded down for the winter. Again we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

As soloswolf mentioned in an earlier post. It would probably be wise just to man the Western Florida Coastline as well as possible instead of make an attempt on Pickens early....there just aren't enough troops available in that theatre of ops to make an assault there. And there aren't enough troops elsewhere to spare IMHO.

Regarding the eastern defenses....Manassas is key. It opens up the entire Northern half of Virginia. If we can hold Mannassas, we won't need a reserve Corps in Richmond. I would propose we keep troops stationed north of the Rappohannock until, God forbid, they are forced South of it.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Regarding VA: After the WV Raid, I think we should do our best to hold a Harper's Ferry-Manassas-Fredricksburg line. If we need to fall back from Harper's Ferry, I would drop that flank back to Charlottesville. Winchester is untenable at best and we can maintain interior lines by falling back to Charlottesville without losing much of note. I also feel no corps size force should be relegated to capital defense. It is close enough that we can move to the area if needed.

Regarding Ft. Monroe: Like Pickens, if we go for it, we better damned well take it. A failed assault could leave us very weak on the peninsula and give them a great opportunity to strike back. We need to excercise A LOT of caution in moving on either fort.

Regarding KY: I am still confident that an attack there is the only option.

Regarding MO: I would rather get reinforcements in AR and form them properly than struggle to give more men to Price right away. I will level what I can and cause as much trouble as possible while maintaining a strong hold on Springfield.

A final point: I think getting a higher percentage of the early reinforcements in '61 would allow us to capitalize on a surprise push into KY, as well as really dig in across TN. Little move will be made by the Federals in the East that can't be countered/out-manouvered until Winter and there are a lot of free brigades that spawn there. I think we can really cause problems out West if I get some men to work with. Having said that, I know there are a lot of holes to plug and only so many fingers to do it with.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm

soloswolf wrote:Regarding VA: I also feel no corps size force should be relegated to capital defense. It is close enough that we can move to the area if needed.

A final point: I think getting a higher percentage of the early reinforcements in '61 would allow us to capitalize on a surprise push into KY, as well as really dig in across TN.

a) Sorry its a misunderstanding, dont refered to send troops from manasas... just need to get Lee and Cooper into the command chain. (militias and other reinforcements--- conscripts for cooper are a must, could be sent there for upgrading) The only way is sending a corps (without troops) to join lee and then cooper, so 2 corps in the capital can be better garrison and training ground .

b) Do you refer sending more reinforcements to the Western CiC ? I agree, what do you Lee believe?. Just I am sure I will priorize recruitment the cheaper the better, and this will include recruitment a few days back of the line front... Hope I can upgrade RR cap once a few months pass.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:41 pm

I think that as much as we can, using Cooper is fine, but the benefit of them being in the field will far out-weigh the need to wait for them to upgrade to regulars.

As far as Lee, I hope we have to wait for him to unlock as that will mean Richmond is safe!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Also Rolla depot (destroy it?) / Jeff city will be abandoned, in order to assure Springfield??? Or just sending a cavalry there/ meanwhile you try to hold Rolla?

Other ideas...
Scenario goes somewhat different than what I am used to regard in the April campaign...
Our Cavalry bought on first turn will be effective 3rd or 4th turn, after training & moving the frontline.

USA is clearly more capable/active if lucky/mad enough since the beginning and can hit also in our rearguard with the few cav initial troops he can distract. AoP can go straight for richmond (fredericksburg) with some division on first turn so I believe sending Holmes (alone) to Richmond can avoid us some problems, he is not required in manasas.

I believe President should give you CiC most of the freedom for main moves, but sure some "imperfect" direct orders will be done, once battle starts, I believe it goes ok with the game idea.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 pm

I will destroy everything but Rolla at first and make my first stand there.

If they attack in force, I fall back to Springfield and link up with said forces from AR. If they don't, I wait and keep what pressure I can on the regions around Rolla/Springfield and bring the AR troops to them and attack/defend in force.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I will give you a list of what I would like to get for men, and the three of us can hammer it out. I will do this through out the game as well to keep you apraised of my wants/needs.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:08 am

Coregonas wrote:a) Sorry its a misunderstanding, dont refered to send troops from manasas... just need to get Lee and Cooper into the command chain. (militias and other reinforcements--- conscripts for cooper are a must, could be sent there for upgrading) The only way is sending a corps (without troops) to join lee and then cooper, so 2 corps in the capital can be better garrison and training ground .

b) Do you refer sending more reinforcements to the Western CiC ? I agree, what do you Lee believe?. Just I am sure I will priorize recruitment the cheaper the better, and this will include recruitment a few days back of the line front... Hope I can upgrade RR cap once a few months pass.

Agreed, there will need to be a build up in both theatres, but I concur that the Western CiC and our offensive into KY take priority. Like I mentioned, WV is a glorified raid, and If I smell anything fishy, I'll pull right back into my Harper's, Mannassas, Fredricksburg line and dig in tight. As far as buildup goes....as long as I can muster 2,500 total power by mid 1862 i SHOULD be able to hold off any federal advance.

when Lee takes command it should be pretty smooth sailing out east unless they decide to appoint Grant right away. I suggest we swing the focus back to the east if the enemy does that.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Here is my first 'Christmas in July' list. :innocent:

AR
(1) 5 element bde., (1) 3 element bde., (2) sharpshooters, (4) militia, (5) cavalry, (1) 10# Cannon

TN
(2) 6 element bdes, (2) 3 element (arty) bdes, (7) militia, (3) cavalry

LA
(2) zouave, (4) militia, (2) 6# light arty

TX
(4) TX rangers

MS
(6) militia

And I would like 69 (I think) of our opening rail points and 6 (I think) of our opening river points.

This is a lot. And it does require that we use all of our options other than printing money. (These troops I requested use a bit less than half of our resources.) Having said that it is a lot, I want more! :king: But let's start here and discuss. I don't know how you fellas open your games and I want to keep us moving in the same direction.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:42 pm

soloswolf wrote:Here is my first 'Christmas in July' list. :innocent:

AR
(1) 5 element bde., (1) 3 element bde., (2) sharpshooters, (4) militia, (5) cavalry, (1) 10# Cannon

TN
(2) 6 element bdes, (2) 3 element (arty) bdes, (7) militia, (3) cavalry

LA
(2) zouave, (4) militia, (2) 6# light arty

TX
(4) TX rangers

MS
(6) militia

And I would like 69 (I think) of our opening rail points and 6 (I think) of our opening river points.

This is a lot. And it does require that we use all of our options other than printing money. (These troops I requested use a bit less than half of our resources.) Having said that it is a lot, I want more! :king: But let's start here and discuss. I don't know how you fellas open your games and I want to keep us moving in the same direction.

Boy that IS hefty.

I already have at least 3 or 4 divisions worth of troops in the east and can probably hold on for a time with those troops, but I WILL need more eventually. I defer the final decision to the President

I will not openly object to the requests, but I will say that you damn well better get to Louisville and St. Louis with them!! :niark:

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

My outlook is this: For the early game, you have a relatively narrow corridor to defend and can mass your forces. I have a number of very key places that need to be strong enough to hold until I can reinforce/take back what was lost.

The bulk of the requests are militia and cavalry, for obvious reasons. The other, larger brigades, will largely be fighting seperated until I have divisions set up.

I really want everyone to have fun and to be fair in spreading our resources around, but I essentially have to cover from the western edge of VA all the way to TX. Also, the more I think about it, we really should work to take out the forts. I think if we rapidly deploy a division in AL, we can storm it before they can reinforce it. That division could then be redeployed to GA/SC for coastal defense there. The appropriate brigades can all be drawn from AL and join quickly, most likely in time to sack it quickly.

But really, I'd like to hear all thoughts so we're all satisfied.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”