Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

[CSA] Confederate Pregame comments

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:38 am

Greeting everybody... This goes serious, as seems Lincoln is determined to an attack.

I ll write a few hours later, 8 hours delay... But we need to prepare! What are your ideas for making this go round. I ll post some ideas, wait fo yours!

I believe president should do direct orders:

all economic orders.
reinforcements & replacements
create armies
create corps
create divisions?
change leaders from commands (i.e. teleports)
move the ocean fleet
the river fleets orders ?
promotions

reinforcements created in second line could be moved by me if you want, but I believe they should go directly to your commands.

Good luck and lets get fun!

Rafiki

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 am

Coregonas wrote: for instance If I ask you to [color="Blue"][color="RoyalBlue"](snip)[/color][/color] it could be reported as a "recon in force"... ?¿?

In principle, you should avoid setting up such a "translation table". With such a table, you could just as well use the game terms, which undermines the communication angle of this :king:

Other than that, I'll leave it to yourselves to decide the distribution of responsibilities; that's part of the journey you're undertaking Image
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:36 am

I agree. Better Deleted... :siffle:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Agreed on most of your points....

Although I would suggest a couple of changes...

While the President would have the final say on Corps and Divisions....I believe the actual formation of them should be predicated on the CiC player's initiative....with permission being asked before the formation actually taking place.

i.e. Lee had to pass a measure through congress to allow the formation of his three Corps prior to the Gettysburg Campaign

i.e. Lincoln played no part delegating division or corps command...only signing off on his generals' reccomendations.

In summary....CiC players will forward their reccomendations to the President for division and Corps commander appointments and the Prez will approve or deny.

I believe the president should have the full right to yank any army commander he wishes...but again, at the corps and division level, I would think it more reasonable if he seek agreement with the theater's CiC first.

I believe the same process would be appriopriate for Promotions...the President would act after collecting reccomendations by his CiC players.

As far as river fleets go....I would think the Western CiC would have full control there, and if not....the Prez and Western CiC would need to be in constant communication about one another's intentions so as to better coordinate operations.

Thoughts?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Banks6060 wrote:In summary....CiC players will forward their reccomendations to the President for division and Corps commander appointments and the Prez will approve or deny.

I believe the president should have the full right to yank any army commander he wishes...but again, at the corps and division level, I would think it more reasonable if he seek agreement with the theater's CiC first.

I believe the same process would be appriopriate for Promotions...the President would act after collecting reccomendations by his CiC players.

As far as river fleets go....I would think the Western CiC would have full control there, and if not....the Prez and Western CiC would need to be in constant communication about one another's intentions so as to better coordinate operations.

So you mean... CiCs should send requests to President, then wait until response, then the President send the turn to the 1st CiC then the "promote/create corps... button click" should be done by 1st CiCs then second CiC...

It seems ok for me both ways, just can slow the turn-sending, perhaps either president/CiCs could do the "click", but only if it was reported in the "order log" as CiC request. Again, President could send orders like ... Send division sized troop to Cairo, IL and the CiC will create division and send it (or do not send).

About river command I believe its ok as you say. Just president can order something like "dont risk fleet pass Cairo" ... Or .. send ironclad to nashville in some special cases.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Apologies...lol...didn't even consider the "clicking" aspect.

Yes I think it would be wise to just communicate all executive orders from the president on the Confederate War Room thread....

Then once a decision is made...the CiC will actually do the clicking and manipulating of the forces. I would say that all discussion end by a certain day in the week perhaps??

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Again about those topics... whats your opinion

Reinforcements / Replacements / Economic
I will pick them at my own decision (erroneous perhaps), so forcing make your requests with some time to decide...
I will recruit troops / repls... until just the final reserves are left (60 conscript companies for example)... to allow for some discussion :niark: between CiC reinforcements.

After built, they are in your hands.

Or do you believe ... should I "buy" them just AFTER receiving your requests?

WV / VA / GA will be frontier to be commanded for EAST CiC?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:19 pm

Banks6060 wrote:Apologies...lol...didn't even consider the "clicking" aspect.

Yes I think it would be wise to just communicate all executive orders from the president on the Confederate War Room thread....

Then once a decision is made...the CiC will actually do the clicking and manipulating of the forces. I would say that all discussion end by a certain day in the week perhaps??

Ok we can do that. I could send generic orders such as: form 4 divisions, or especific like Give Huger a division command. AND YOU will create division/promote...

Perhaps If I give the orders without waiting for your requests, it should represent better the chain of command, and "force" you to do something you dislike... but if still sunday (for example the final discussion day) I can still change my mind or not!

About time / emails considerations... Perhaps the president should do the turn last in order to allow for more time to consider CiC economic orders...? I prefer this way but waiting your comments.

Yes we could consider just having 2-3 days discussions, then allow for the 1st CiC player (East for example) send email as fast as possible to second CiC... then to president-> Remember we must WORK / SLEEP (Yes! I Sleep, and Jabberwock seems not! this is an advanced skill he has...) and play something easy (Titan can be played by a 2 years old??) with our Children :cwboy:

Should it be needed, turn - mail could be sent again to a CiC, but dont know if this is the idea... Remember i m European so 8 hours delay

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Agreed on all counts.

President shall send orders down the chain....if CiC disagrees....he will appeal via the war-room or e-mail. regardless...discussion ends on the 3rd day of the week (I'm cool with that if you are) and decisions are made by the President. and orders are issued

President should be responsible for all Reinforcements and Replacements etc....

All economic decisions...

I would say that any Naval elements delegated to blockade running/raiding be placed under Presidential Jurisdiction....with any other elements "given" to each theatre CiC for their own needs.

Example....if for some reason East CiC needs a frigate to blockade or something....player asks president for control of the ship.....and then returns control when he is finished.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 pm

I think Corps commands should be CiC's discretion. Certainly discussion with the president/other CiC should be part of the process, but for ease, I think it should fall to the applicable commander.

Division forming will of course need to be discussed, as there is the cost factor. So that will have to be taken care of prior to turn resolution.

Do we have a set idea on boundaries of theaters? Is the WV/VA/GA line our plan? I am fine with that, and I am sure any questions about who has what will be discussed.

I am really excited about this!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:39 pm

I would of course like to have command of applicable riverine forces, but I agree on the blue-water vessel requisitions.

I think any reinforcements should be requested and through discussion/needs of the two departments we will arrive at a happy conclusion. (hopefully :p )
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Ok... a few hours to go sleep.

Should we prepare some kind of "pre"-strategy? (before the orders are to be done) i.e -> defend misisipi? ignore missouri or something like that?

I wait for your comments and opinions!

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:40 pm

My general plans are as such:

*Fight to restrict Federal mobility throughout MO and KY.

*Maintain the river-line around TN as best as my troops allow.

*Maintain a grip on texas as long as possible and fall back upon natural lines in AR and LA.

*Defend 'offensively' at all times.

Thoughts on KY? There is something to be said for taking the initiative and securing what points we can before they can respond. I would like to have the loyalty with us, but it is unlikely we will hold it for long, so I think we should strike what and when we can. An aggressive summer campaign there could keep TN. safe until the following spring, and give us a river to fall back to, not just hide behind.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Alright....So we'll go with Corps under direction of CiC...

Navy under Prez, but Prez will relinquish control to CiC's if needed in Theatre.

Also...the delegation of leaders to different theatres....that will need to be decided as well...I suppose Prez would do that upon reccommendation of CiC's.

Alright....so....I propose as an overall strategy

The east is the Union bleeding ground....I don't know what kind of guys we're playing against or how good they are at the game....but I can guarantee....You give the east 80-90 thousand men...and they'll make the Union pay for every inch for several years. 1861 will be the real tone setter.

If these guys know what they're doin'.....The coasts WILL end up taken...not a whole lot we can do about that...(again I'm talkin' about the east.). I'd say the best course of action would be to defend Wilmington, Norfolk, and Charleston as heavily as is practical...Savannah can also be included on the list. As long as we have a heavily entrenched brigade outside each of these cities and some strong forces in their forts...they should provide a strong barrier for any amphibious assault.

With a July start...I have the temptation to get pretty aggressive in Virginia...but we'll hust have to see how my opponent plays it I suppose.

There's my 2 cents.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Oh....and there's this really small part of me that wants to experiment with an early offensive into WV....just another thought.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:54 pm

I am completely in favor of going into WV. At worst you lose the services of a division give or take for a few months. At best you link up with KY, create a buffer for your theater, give yourself the possibility of raiding into very valuable cites in PA, and most importantly, cutting their use of interior lines to the west.

I would say we stab as deep and hard into KY and WV as possible. The biggest threat to you is if the cet in your rear, it can be awful to have to retreat through the south-eastern part of the state.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34 pm

Virginia -> hold ground with "minimum" troops could be the way to distract troops to some other place. Dividing army into 3 corps?. Advance to loudon and H.F area could help, once the troops are prepared.

WV -> not sure about sending division size troops. I ll think about it now. I need more input about your plans. Dont want our men be lost without a reason.

KY -> perhaps start a few months provoking USA to make us join the populace... Get garrisons patrol out the city. Sending lots of cavalry? Hold army between Nashville / Island 10 a few turns.

But for sure bowling green is key for us. Some more input for planning.

MO -> Agree. Perhaps we should abandon Winchester or leave just some cavalry and go for the depot quickly.

Key coastal areas -> All cities producing Manpower are key for us. Militia Brigades should do the job for a while.

Reserves -> A couple "reserve-divisions" can be enough? where?

Fleet -> The initial War supplies will go to prepare a decent fleet to sustain the long run. This is priority during a few months. So army will have to go with low war supply. Expect few quality troops for a while... cheap reinforcements... I promise some of the best quality weaponry however.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:45 pm

In my department I will be leaving brigades in critical areas to maintain entrentchments and uniting forces for offensive actions whenever possible.

I would suggest a more moderate approach with the WS... Given the time required to build units, and then get them ready for a fight, that is a lot of time to go with no new units in the field. I would say focus on land and go slow and steady on reinforcing the fleets.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Well I ll try to do some efforts for sending as fast as possible as much troops to the front.

I ll ask for camps to hurry their training, perhaps troops sent will be partially unprepared.

You sould use the current displayed troops, fully trained for main offensives, reinforced with some extra of those new recruits.

But I am absolutely sure we need those goods from europe, if those federals want really to fight for long...

Anyway I´m sure we will get troops enough to do the job.

How many extra men do you need? 3 divisions to each front? :siffle:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:04 am

I Agree to a degree with soloswolf about WS expenditure regarding the navy.

It takes two Union river Ironclads to match each of ours, our brigs should have no problem outrunning their frigates in the Atlantic and Gulf smuggling routes.

making a significant dent in their WS accumulation from shipping will be hard to attain with any number of ships we're able to produce, which won't be much I wager.

I would humbly suggest a tempered buildup of naval assets early on...with a focus on land forces by fall of '61.

Of course...I leave the decision up to you :)

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:07 am

I would require an extra division to suppliment the AoP detaching one to send to West Virginia...

I would also ask for 6 additional divisions before Spring 1862....until that time, I am sure I can do with what I have ;) .

6 may be a little audacious....make it 5 by Spring '62 and I think we'll be set.

I'd like the AoP to achieve at least a PWR of 2,500 by then.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:35 am

Redeployment is the most tricky action... We must use it as fairly as posible...

I believe the president has to do that, at least order for it.
---
Do you believe we should start sending some of our high ranking leader to the Nashville area?

Our best abled generals are defending richmond, and kentucky seems a peaceful place to stay, will be needed.

Well ... General A.S. Jhonston asked for a command... so if none is proposed I will offer the job. In any case if you feel some aide should be sent... propose me!

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 am

All Ironclads will be commanded by CiCs, however I believe we should send all ironclads to the mississipi areas....

Theys should travel at night, especially being careful with enemy forts. And send them to our main fortified areas...

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston ; General Robert E. Lee

I ll try recruiting all those divisions you are asking for, but as I m sure lots of smuggler ships should be needed to bring precious needed goods, i ll try to achieve both objectives.

Expect a few months for achieving the main recruitment... Our citizens still do not feel more troops must be called to arms... I hope this not to be needed. But we can expect no good from north. War supply is short, but we are even shorter on money...

Also, we can afford send staff to prepare just a couple divisions... most staff is needed in the capitol by now.

A reserve recruitment camp in the capitol is going to be prepared for a few months. this will serve both as training and capitol defense... Once the first men arrive, General in chief S. Cooper will supervise personally training for those conscripts.

I m thinking of preparing one or two main drilling areas for raw troops. I believe these should be stationed in the frontline, and be ready for inmediate battle, not stationed in reserve. I believe these camps should avoid maneuvering too much, and concentrate on training.

Further comments are welcome from my best general and advisors

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

:coeurs:

This is going to be really fun! I welcome your ideas, and will go for them as far as posible! Never achieved excellent results in WV... against an human opponent, perhaps I ve not tried enough... lets go for it just inform me the main plan.... KY and MO can be ours, I wish KY Loyalty comes to us but its up to the federals I believe.

I want also to try upgrading a little the industrial capability of the south, to achieve the maximum (TOTAL manpower/quality troops) result around April 62... I ve achieved always the most big success in the long run using a good smuggler navy!

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 am

([font="Palatino Linotype"]I didn't realize we were role-playing at this point, my bad)

Mr. President,

While I trust matters of state finance to my betters, I am doubtful as to whether or not we have the resources to achieve all of you and your advisers proposed plans. Surely we cannot compete in the area of factories and the materials of war. Likewise, I do not think we can spare the funds or the bodies for the production of many sea-going vessels.

For a time I will be able to sustain my department with scattered commands. Further, it will be necessary to fight in such a fashion until our enemy's objectives become clearer. But I will need the funds to piece together staff and equipment for a number of divisions. I would not hazard a number at this point, but I will keep you informed as to the enemy presence in my area.

More to come once I meet with my staff.

Respectfully,
General A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:40 am

soloswolf wrote:([font="Palatino Linotype"]I didn't realize we were role-playing at this point, my bad)

(You don't need to, not till the first turn gets sent out :) )
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:23 pm

As far as KY, I think we can agree that holding it long term is not much of an option. However, I would like to Fight there as long as possible. I am confident that if I strike hard into the state I can disrupt the region long enough to allow me time to gather troops and organize them into effective stacks.

I plan to use Ft. Henry+Donnelson as a pivot and wheel into the state off of that point. I will try to fight to the Ohio, cutting rails in front of my advance to isolate the enemy in front of me. I will do my best to hold the river line from donnelson west to paducah, columbus, island 10 and memphis, but that is a lot of ground to watch. My hope is that by turning MO and KY into the stone age as far as rail travel goes that I will be able to maintain effective interior lines and meet any advance they make.

My main rally points will be the city line from memphis east to corinth, north to nashville and bowling green. (Primarily corinth as it is a safe point to gather men to as well as possessing connections to all points.)

Gotta run for now, more to come!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:18 am

Obviously Richmond will be the key in the east. As long as I'm able to keep the enemy on the Northern edge of the James River things should go pretty smoothly for awhile.

My initial strategy would be, of course, to rail a defense force up to Manassas...more than likely the entire AoP. Go ahead and form a Corps with Johnson in the Shennendoah and use him to advance on Harper's Ferry.

My short term goals for 1861:

Establish a suitable defense along the Harper's Ferry, Mannassas, Fredricksburg line.

My long term goals for 1861:

Form a "Grand Division" comprising of Jackson and at least 10,000 troops for an early push into WV...initial target will be the town of Grafton. From there it's a two way street, Wheeling along the rails

or

-Longer term objective will be Pittsburgh, PA. Even if Jackson can't hold it...I believe it will keep the Federals on their heals for a time.

By winter '61....Jackson will likely be called back to the valley and Northern Virginia.

On the coast:

We're gonna dig in tight, man the guns and hold the tide as long as we can, but the focus of my efforts will be stopping the enemy cold in Northern Virginia unless he is obviously moving overly aggressively against the coast. I would likely request a reserve division be placed on standby to react to any suspected invasions....I would reccommend it contain 2 generals at SOME point so that it may be split if needed to address a dual threat.

I will also probably ask for a fairly regular supply of Militia reinforcements to man the walls of the coastal forts if possible....combining them into larger Militia brigades to keep CP need low.

I will more than likely also request command of some ships along the James River to keep relative control over the water way.

I will draft my official plans at the onset of the campaign.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Army organization

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:51 pm

I agree mainly with your basic plans.

Here are some army-organization ideas I desire to do, in order to achieve success.

1.- Regulars. There are lots of trained troops in second line areas (i.e. Beauregard, Huger, Charleston ...)

These must go ASAP to the main front and be replaced by militia brigades. If Ft Monroe is not to be assaulted, we could even abandon totally Hampton Roads, but you should give before militia-corps-command to lee and cooper to allow for some extra defence power. Cooper could stay INTO Richmond and Lee OUT.

I ll buy no regulars at all. :nuts: ... Perhaps some exception of course. I love these 7 Virginian sized brigades, but I believe the GA / AL are even better leaded. However, brigaded militias are better to me, just mid-term useful.

2.- Cavalry. We have the need of constructing an huge cavalry display... Seems to me one of our best priorities. Lots of fast-raiding cavalry will help us disrupting the enemy, giving us precious intel, end so on.

So most of the initial manpower (perhaps 20-30 new units can stress the federals) will be destined to it (Well, perhaps i ll exchange manpower of some cavalry to ships :niark: ).

Your Jackson raid to WV should include a cavalry half division? Laurel & 1st Virginia Bdes can be part of it...

---
Remember in the initial display Harpers Ferry is just 7 days march from Jackson troops (sorry, Johnston´s... but i believe he should go ASAP to Nashville--- do you belive so?), but not sure if should be better to send him to another place in the very first turn (manasas, richmond for example... you ll decide how to proceed)
---

3.- Militia. Once Morale raise a bit, I ll mobilize militias as main army,the government thinks too much War supply has been expended in the existing Regular army.
These should be brigaded, garrison coastal main production areas, and the rest sent to the front.

I propose sending most of those to HUMBOLDT TN/ MANASAS VA by train with our best drillers, but RICHMOND /CORINTH ( first step ) are also posible points if you feel better. In defense, well led militias can be good enough, and these could turn into drilled regulars if quiet a few months. I d prefer even Columbus TN, in the front protecting our main FORT in the mississippi.

4.- Artillery. I will try to purchase some of the best guns available, so we can give a few divisions some concentrated firepower. After this our main guns should be 12 pounders, we can not afford the best ones until later. Horse arty should be purchased also as a priority.

5.- Railroad restrisctions. Due to game-limitations (i.e. ERTY keys skip troops moving by railroad 1 day), reinforcement railroad/riverine moves should not last more than 14 days, and end in a rail station / city. These should be done in the more evasive mode posible, we must avoid battles with reinforcements. (Big Army moves should be asked for in War room, aprox-division-sized could be ordered 1 per CiC at your wish)... I ll go upgrading transport cap once manpower expended.

6.- Ocean / River ships. I ll go constructing brigs until our WS input by smuggling arrives 50-60 / turn. After that, we could invest in industry. I ll try to priorize army as you asked before, but by the end of 1861 we must have those 60 WS/ turn. I ll build no war ships at all.

7.- Support. An Army should be created ASAP. Other than that, I will try to build support units to allow for 2 corps be fully supported. I believe signal units can help independent divisions be lead by a single good commander, so these will be priority, but expect no support until late...

Waiting for your acceptance, and hope some improvements can be added.

Jefferson Davis

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 pm

I would love to have all the horses in TN, TX and AR asap. (And for that matter, I will take every man, mounted or otherwise, that you can give me. :sourcil: ) Do not build any new bodies in MO as they will probably just be swept over.

I am fine with a general 'militia-first' approach. However, I would prefer the bulk of my Arty. reinforcements to be in pre-made brigades. I would hate for them to spawn in a city that could be threatened and have them get run over while they were all alone.

I know things will be tight, but we will certainly need as many rail cars as possible.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”