Rafiki

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Union is IN. Processing will take place tonight

I'm happy to say that soloswolf will be returning to the campaign :) We've talked about things, and though I see no reason to go into details, I have nothing but understanding for his absence; just happy to see him back :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:09 am

Solo!! alright....cool.

I hope everything's cool man. Glad you're stickin' with it.

Rafiki

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 am

Rafiki wrote:Processing will take place tonight

Ehm, warning: falling asleep on the sofa in front of the TV can be detrimental to your turn processing schedule... :siffle:

Armies are on the move, and we are starting to see some major battles. There isn't a single player who I don't want to hear from about what's going on, so make sure to update those AARs of yours! :king:

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:14 pm

Union is IN; how are the CSA orders coming along?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Howdy,

They have gone through the Pres., but I have not seen Banks' yet. I am off the rest of today and all day tomorrow, so I will have them in straight away once I get them.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Then I suggest the following:
  • Send a mail to the list, notifying Banks that you're in the process of placing your orders and ask him to hold off till you send the updated order-file
  • Place your orders
  • Send the file to the list, letting Banks place his orders, upon which they are sent to me (via the list)

:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Will do.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Hiya Raf,

I think we are good. Banks should be sending our orders to you soon. Thanks for your patience.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:52 pm

No worries. I see the activity in the "CSA White House", and I'm sure it will soon be reflected in mail :)

In the meantime, we've seen a few really good AAR updates; any more out there, waiting to be posted? :sourcil:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Rafiki wrote:any more out there, waiting to be posted? :sourcil:

If I get another done tonight or tomorrow, I'll only be one turn behind.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:54 pm

I have not received an e-mail from Soloswolf yet...what's this "list" you speak of?? regretably I've been away from ageod.com quite regularly lately...we've got local elections goin' on and my work schedule has just been unbelievable.

I will work on my AAR tonight.

Cheers.

Rafiki

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Each of the sides has a mailing-list set up, for making it easy to send turns/orders, but the CSA hasn't been using it much, I think.

soloswolf sent his orders 08/03/2008 06:21 AM, to your hotmail-address. Is it perhaps in some spam-folder or something?

Looking forward to the AAR update :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Woops :innocent:

My bad....I just stumbled upon it in my inbox. I'll try to get the turn in tonight as well. But I can't promise anything.

Cheers.

Rafiki

Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:00 pm

You're the only one who's holding the entire campaign back at this point; no pressure... ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Ah yes, well I knew it would be me at some point. :sourcil:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 am

so I'll just delay even further I guess :niark:

Work went terribly late tonight...no energy to do an AAR...I'll get both done tommorrow night.

Cheers.

Rafiki

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:49 pm

Still waiting fro orders from the CSA; have you been able to sort out the problems you were having?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:27 pm

yes....orders should be in your email Raf. But then again i did that a day ago... :) . So you probably already know you have them.

Cheers

Rafiki

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm in the process of getting ready to process them as I write this; expect new trn-files within an hour or so :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Disappointed

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Well folks...toe into the water so to speak.and really sincerest apologies for upsetting anyone ...but as an onlooker here goes.

I had such high high hopes of this campaign. Would have volunteered myself but felt I was just not experienced enough (given the quality of those who did put themselves forward)

Was very very hopeful though of learning from what I believed to be experts. To say I have been bitterly disappointed though would be to putting it mildly.

I fully accept Rafis arguement that first and foremost this game should be for the enjoyment of the participants....but what I ask myself is the purpose of having AAR's other than for the audience (and mostly these have been non existant).

Ah well, apologies to all, and I doubt I could have done better...but at least Il've said it.

There have been exceptions (once at least being diplomatic not saying who they are) but too few and far between.

In general terms trying to understand the sides....The union side seem to be a three headed hydra......totally co-ordinated from the centre and with only one aim in mind to win the game (the Hooker alteration of orders was a real real beauty - how the president would ever been in a position to have known or ordered this is beyond me)

On the confederate side nice to see a hands off approach from the centre but one theatre totally devoid of information ( now supposedly back in action)

And I know I'm depressing and a bull in a china shop and nasty and vicious and etc...etc...just that I love the PBEM game so much

Regards :p leure: :p leure:

Jabberwock

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:55 pm

On AAR's I totally agree with you. I am trying to get mine caught up to the action. In the meantime, all you are seeing from our side is the telegraph office. It may look like I'm winning the arguments there, but then my CinCs just continue to do things without telling me (one of them has figured out how to work with me, finally), and I have something new to rant about there, usually after it's too late, and so it goes.

As far as historical control, only McClellan and Rosecrans tried to keep the administration uninformed of what went on or was about to go on in the field. I freely admit I'm playing the whole war department. This was the first war run by telegraph. Copies of orders were made and reviewed. I think Washington was much better informed and interfering historically than you suspect. You're thinking like a civilian, so are/were my CinCs. In game, the Fredericksburg operation was conceived by Scott, and he certainly would have been in a position to know and do something about those orders before the operation launched.

That said, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't be president. I think there is a consensus about that. I have developed my own doctrines about how to do things, and trying to impose them on others has been frustrating for all involved. I prefer to teach by demonstration. That's not saying that I don't appreciate playing this/these role(s). I would never have felt the need to organize my doctrines in one place for everyone (except the rebs) to read, if not for this experience. I'm far from done with that process.

If you keep apologizing for your opinion, I might feel the need to start apologizing for mine.

Regards

Rafiki

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm

Jabberwock wrote:That said, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't be president. I think there is a consensus about that.

Indeed; +1

(Makes for good entertainment for bystanders from time to time, though ;) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:03 am

+2.......you are just too strong for the position Jabber...and thats meant as a compliment.

Regards

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:05 am

See Rafi...at times I surprise myself...I can be diplomatic...even if only by chance :coeurs:

Jabberwock

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:11 am

Rafiki wrote:(Makes for good entertainment for bystanders from time to time, though ;) )

That has been my fervent best hope for an excuse. :innocent:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:05 pm

I think the player who takes the role of president has to perhaps come into the game with the understanding that he WON'T be calling most of the shots...and WON'T be moving most of the pieces around.

In real-life....presidents don't just give orders....they receive reccommendations....and then accept or deny them....THEN give orders. It doesn't appear either team has operated in this fashion...which is fine...it was expected.

As far as the AAR's...it is dissapointing...I feel, really, that this entire project should be geared to the reader....and not the players. It should be fun for the players yes...but I think it matters more how fun it is for the readers...otherwise there is no point in requiring AAR's. I'll be the first to say that writing AAR's isn't the LEAST time consuming thing to do...but I always try to make time :) .

Jabberwock

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Banks6060 wrote:In real-life....presidents don't just give orders....they receive reccommendations....and then accept or deny them....THEN give orders. It doesn't appear either team has operated in this fashion...which is fine...it was expected.

This system works fine, if the recommendations are recieved. Otherwise suggestions (occasionally orders) have to go from the top down. The US team is getting there; it's been a struggle.

Banks6060 wrote:...and WON'T be moving most of the pieces around.

In further regards to the Hooker situation, I eventually refused to give the order myself, and Andrew chose to resubmit. I was willing at that point to let it go in with the original (mistaken) order.

I often threaten to move some pieces around myself, but rarely follow through. I've recently (at someone else's suggestion) developed a system of withholding reinforcements and stealing rear echelon units for other uses as an alternative way to communicate, enforce some doctrinal compliance, or express frustration at a lack of communication. This obviates the need to make those threats going forward. I'm hoping not to use it much.

AndrewKurtz

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Jabberwock wrote:This system works fine, if the recommendations are recieved. Otherwise suggestions (occasionally orders) have to go from the top down. The US team is getting there; it's been a struggle.

I'd ask folks to watch going forward. We struggled with the format out of the gate, but I think we are getting it figured out.

On another note, perhaps it would a good idea to post the TRN and ORD files for non-players to be able to download and review? They may enjoy...

Jabberwock

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:On another note, perhaps it would a good idea to post the TRN and ORD files for non-players to be able to download and review? They may enjoy...

Good call.

JW

Jabberwock

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:33 pm

A few more points, soundoff.

1. If my suggestions in the War Room were heeded, I wouldn't have to repeat them.

2. I was applying considerable pressure to get a certain operation going before winter. Now it is too late. I have failed. My suggestions were ignored. Now, finally, there is a token force headed in that general direction, probably in the hopes of mollifying my annoyance. The rebels will likely reinforce that location long before we can get there in the spring. Next year's operations will be impacted as a result. I don't know how this can be perceived as centralized command.

3. I'm doing what I think it will take to win the war. Part of that is doctrines. Part of it is asking commanders to adhere to a plan. I was not detailed enough on doctrine or what the plan would be before the campaign started. I wasn't aware what most of the plan would be, it develops dynamically. In both theaters I have modified my plans considerably to be more in accord with CinC preferences and actions. I'm not especially vocal about that, so CinCs and the audience are less aware of it. I wasn't aware of all the gaps between my doctrines and those of other experienced players. I've been trying to make up for those mistakes ever since. Part of it is attention to detail. My doctrines require coordinated efforts. The actions of supporting forces are almost as important as the main forces. If the commanders miss details for whatever reason, I will call their attention to it. If they submit orders without communicating, then I don't know what is a missed detail; what is stubbornness; what is lack of knowledge about my doctrines; what the commander considers to be part of the overall plan, but I don't. That's why my suggestions have been pre-emptive and detailed. They have had to be.

4. The onus is on the north to be the aggressor. That takes coordination. Coordination is not going to be provided by McClellan, Fremont, Halleck, Banks, and Butler. It requires communication, either two-way, or one-way. The onus is on the CinCs to make it two-way.

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”