Rafiki

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 am

Korrigan wrote:I second this feedback.

From the reader point of view, differences between the AARs are quite important and it's very difficult to figure out what's going on and what are the players up to. :nuts:

I can make up with absence of systematic screenshots, but when only 3 lines are posted it's impossible to understand the situation. :p leure:

Because we can see it from both sides, we readers love to be in the players minds and listen to their thoughts as they evaluate the strategic situation.

We want more :cwboy:

Indeed.

Speaking for myself, I have two motivations in running The Grand Campaign:
  • That the players have fun, especially with the differences it represents compared to regular, one-player-per-side PBEM
  • That non-players would be able to "take part" through reading the different AARs, representing different viewpoints (as well as seeing the game presented in the varying styles that 6 different writAARs represent)

To me, the first one is the most important, since without player enjoyment, there won't be any players and, by extension, no Grand Campaign, but I'd hate to see everyone missing out on the second part, the players included.

Speaking from personal experience, one of the truly enjoyable things about the first grand campaign was going back after it was finished and read what the others thought of how things were developing. What did my CinCs think of my presidential decisions? What were the confederates doing all along and why did they do it? :sourcil:

That said, I'm the first to understand the time constraints offered by pesky Real Life stuff. However, I want to make sure you know that the AARs can be as much for your own enjoyment as they are for ours :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 am

BTW, Union orders are IN. Has anyone heard from soloswolf?

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

GShock

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Have you considered the possibility to enroll new players as 1-star generals whose efforts could be directed, the current rpg fashion, by the players who are in charge of their theater of operations?

I.E. I play VA theater and i have Bonham, Beuregard, Johnston, Holmes (all 2 or 3 stars) and i could give orders to Magruder and Huger to a new player.

The eventual loss of a single general can be replaced with another player. I think it's worth trying in an effort to involve more and more people to the MP which is the real fun-related and fascinating core of this game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Rafiki

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

No. :)

Though the system we have in place for player substitutions (should we need such) isn't very good, I do not think the solution is to increase the number of players. We're already struggling a bit with the pace of the game, and I don't want to do any adjustments that will decrease the pace any further :king:

Also, there wasn't much overbooking in filling the slots as it was, so my impression is that there isn't enough interest to warrant such an expansion of the game.

Let's let the current teams do their thing :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:56 pm

Rafiki wrote:No. :)

Also, there wasn't much overbooking in filling the slots as it was, so my impression is that there isn't enough interest to warrant such an expansion of the game.

As the grumpy old man :p apy: who started the thread on the audience board I'd agree with you part way Rafiki. I think any expansion of the game would be to its detriment and it should be allowed to follow its natural course.

On the subject of 'lack of interest' though I'd take issue. I think you have to accept that some players, me for one, might well have been interested but felt that they could'nt quite cut it at the time with some players who do know the game inside out and upside down as well as backwards and forwards. I know it is a great learning opportunity but there are issues of players not wishing to appear too novice. :bonk: :bonk:

If there is ever a third campaign I for one shall not be so reticent coming forward.

Was hoping though to learn a lot from the AAR's. I am from one CiC shame its not happening yet with the others....but I live in hope :)

Rafiki

Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:39 pm

soundoff, for what it's worth. I think it's a lot more interesting (and fun!) with gamers who do make mistakes.

All respect to those who can play the game flawlessly (we have some around here who might be said to be approaching such?), but I can't honestly say I'm able to identify much with them ;)

In any case, I have no intentions that this will be the last grand campaign; when it some day reaches its conclusion, we'll take a look at how things have worked and see how things can be tweaked and improved (though this is getting waaaay ahead of ourselves; we've barely even started this one ;) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

GShock

Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:00 pm

Perhaps a good solution would be to have a fixed day in which to send the turn, while the master file remains at the president. This means both presidents are to send-receive files to players and when that day comes the president must send the turn to the other president. Whoever did not fit in, is handled by the AI (or by the president himself).

With a fixed day, everyone involved will struggle to make it in time, without the fixed day everyone takes it easier...remember about school...timing, skipping the day of interrogation :)

Don't forget with the directing orders of a more xp player, any noob can play...i think one of the "problems" of the GC is the fact players are scared to play.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Jabberwock

Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Rafiki wrote:soundoff, for what it's worth. I think it's a lot more interesting (and fun!) with gamers who do make mistakes.

All respect to those who can play the game flawlessly (we have some around here who might be said to be approaching such?), but I can't honestly say I'm able to identify much with them ;)

Absolutely! As much as I have my own way of doing things, as much of a critical pain-in-the-____ as I can be, I know I've made several mistakes. I just don't have someone breathing down my neck looking for them. I do look forward to seeing the audience analysis someday, and I will try to keep my AAR more up to date (and add screenshots) so that it will be easier for everyone to point them out. I learned to play by trying some REALLY stupid things and observing what happened, as some of my PBEM opponents could testify.

I would hate to lose either of my current CinCs just when I feel like we are coming together as a team.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:36 pm

As a participant of the now slowing contest, I think we're seeing the reasons behind why it would be wise to generate a more effective "back-up" system for interim players.

The problem is...if those interim players jump in...it's likely they probably won't want to jump back out again....

Perhaps a lottery...where wanting players sign up on a waiting list and any time the game goes longer than 7 days without the processing of a turn....the main players who are being "waited on" are automatically replaced with a player drawn from the waiting list? Notices are sent out via PM...emails are sent accordingly...etc. etc.

That player remains in place until he is delayed...if ever. I dunno. It's a start.

I would strongly encourage newer players to get involved. The more mistakes...the more risks taken...the better IMHO. This deal isn't about who wins anyway....it's about the party along the way :niark:

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Sorry ... I have no idea where is Soloswolf.

No mail from him since a lot of days.

Im expecting his turn, to final War room orders.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Whoa folks, its not about not making mistakes nor is it about winning. Both tennents I fully endorse. You do have to expect though that there are players, even if I'm the only one, who would like to think they had a firm handle on the game before dipping their toes into the water in a Grand Campaign. :coeurs:

AndrewKurtz

Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:17 pm

soundoff wrote:Was hoping though to learn a lot from the AAR's. I am from one CiC shame its not happening yet with the others....but I live in hope :)

I'll try to post more details in the AAR, but quite frankly, in the east, not a whole lot has been going on to discuss. At least not much I know about :)

Jabberwock

Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 pm

soundoff wrote:Whoa folks, its not about not making mistakes nor is it about winning. Both tennents I fully endorse. You do have to expect though that there are players, even if I'm the only one, who would like to think they had a firm handle on the game before dipping their toes into the water in a Grand Campaign. :coeurs:

Well rest assured that you're not the only one. I followed almost the exact same reasoning for not getting involved in the first Grand Campaign.

soloswolf
General of the Army

An apology

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 am

Hello all,

I am truly sorry to have kept you all in the lurch. I have been home attending to some serious family matters, and no offense, but this game did not occur to me at all.

Things are now as settled as they will be and I would like to give a sincere apology to my team, my opponents, Rafiki and all of our watchers out there. I will be back at my PC tomorrow morning and have my turn in straight away. I am sorry I was not more communicative, but as I said, it really did not enter my head under the circumstances.

I would like to give my support to the idea of keeping this as fast-paced as possible, and moving forward I will hold my end of the line in that regard.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Jabberwock

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:56 am

Given the circumstances, I don't think the apology was needed. BTW - Congrats!

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:59 am

Thank you and thank you.

I just don't like letting folks down is all... :o

Let's get back to the fun.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

AndrewKurtz

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 am

soloswolf wrote:Thank you and thank you.

No issues here. It will be my turn to be to slow down at some point.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:48 am

soloswolf wrote:Thank you and thank you.

No apologies necessary at all. No doubt I will one day cause this game to come to a screaching halt. You never know what's gonna come up. As was the case with your situation. And I hope everything is ok. I'm Just glad you're...back on the horse!! :dada: :niark:

(that one's for you Jabber).

On with the show!

Lonster
Corporal

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 am

AndrewKurtz wrote:I'll try to post more details in the AAR, but quite frankly, in the east, not a whole lot has been going on to discuss. At least not much I know about :)

Andrew, even if nothing seems to be happening, you can always talk a little about what your plans are......what you think the enemy is up to......what you would do if Gen Scott got off your back :sourcil: (he has been annoyingly life like)

Just some thoughts, thanks for your efforts :niark:

Jabberwock

Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:09 am

Banks6060 wrote:This deal isn't about who wins anyway....it's about the party along the way :niark:

True that ... But I would like to survive long enough to demonstrate a few things besides how I can roleplay an overbearing hypercritical martinet.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:24 am

Jabberwock wrote:True that ... But I would like to survive long enough to demonstrate a few things besides how I can roleplay an overbearing hypercritical martinet.

Which from where I sit Jabber you are doing extremely well. :niark:

Rafiki

Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 am

soloswolf, I can only echo what the others here have said; no worries :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:08 am

GShock wrote:I think it would be nice if this GC had some sort of AAR.

GShock wrote:1 thread, not 100 threads. :)

Rafiki wrote:That non-players would be able to "take part" through reading the different AARs, representing different viewpoints (as well as seeing the game presented in the varying styles that 6 different writAARs represent)

If one of the non-players would volunteer to start consolidating posts and graphics from the various AARs by turn into the observer thread, so that they could be followed chronologically, I think that would be a truly valuable service. (even if they didn't feel like adding observer comments)

Rafiki

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:51 am

Jabberwock wrote:If one of the non-players would volunteer to start consolidating posts and graphics from the various AARs by turn into the observer thread, so that they could be followed chronologically, I think that would be a truly valuable service. (even if they didn't feel like adding observer comments)

This is something that probably is a lot easier for me to do (the combining, that is). I figured I'd make a "megathread" that contains all posts made in AARs and war rooms. I was thinking of doing it at at a later point, but perhaps it might be good to do e.g. once a week or so?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Rafiki wrote:This is something that probably is a lot easier for me to do (the combining, that is). I figured I'd make a "megathread" that contains all posts made in AARs and war rooms. I was thinking of doing it at at a later point, but perhaps it might be good to do e.g. once a week or so?

I reckon so, at least checking once a week to see if the AARs have been updated. I'm still one turn behind with mine.

Rafiki

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I reckon so, at least checking once a week to see if the AARs have been updated. I'm still one turn behind with mine.

Speaking of which; If you continue posting like the previous post, it'll be well worth waiting for! Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Rafiki wrote:Speaking of which; If you continue posting like the previous post, it'll be well worth waiting for! Image

Thanks! I'll have Scott sit in on every posting session from now on, for the extra pessimism, gripes, and grumpiness. Remind me occasionally to always post before my morning caffeine fix.

BTW - I noticed Imageshack has already stopped hosting my manifesto, after just a month. I'll have to find another solution, or start using your trick to host images here.

Rafiki

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:45 am

Jabberwock wrote:Thanks! I'll have Scott sit in on every posting session from now on, for the extra pessimism, gripes, and grumpiness. Remind me occasionally to always post before my morning caffeine fix.

Wilco :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:48 am

FYI, I'll be heading south for my summer vacation this weekend. I expect to be online intermtittently (they have Internet in Italy, right? ;) ), so I haven't arranged for stand-in for turn resolutions and suchlike, but replies from me will carry larger delays than they usually do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 am

Im sending orders ASAP.

Sorry we have had some problems with timing this week.

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”