Aphrodite Mae

How to include images in your posts

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 am

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

What you're looking at is a collection of wines that Dixicrat and I bought during our travels to a number of Virginia Civil War battlefields, last week. They are commemorative labels, marking the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. The wines were purchased at the James River winery, on the northern outskirts of Richmond.

We wouldn't have known about Virginia's commemorative winery labels were it not for Le Ricain. Thanks, daddy! Once again, you've enriched my life. :love:

It's a cool picture of some of the spoils of our campaign through Virginia! (Many more pictures will follow, when I post the AAR of our campaign in a separate thread. ;) ) I wouldn't have been able to share it with you, though, if I didn't know how to post images. This thread will show you how, in my next few posts. :)
Aphrodite Mae

Aphrodite Mae

Step 1: Upload your attachment to a host site

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:12 am

Our forums' new format is still being tweaked to work out the bugs. One of the problems that hasn't yet been solved is what's called "local referencing". For whatever reason, the forums' server can't find attachments that are stored on the forums. Even so, the server can reference external links.

What that means is that if we want to show attachments, we need to have them stored at a URL that's not on the AGEod server. (Just in case you don't already know, a URL is a web address. For example, http://www.ageod-forum.com)

If your image is already on the web and you have its URL, then you can skip to the post titled "Upload your image to your post".

There are many free "Image Hosting" services online. These sites specialize in providing a place to store your pictures "in the cloud", i.e., online. One of the most popular is ImageShack. It's the image hosting service that I'm going to use for my example.

The first thing that you'll need to do is establish a user account at Imageshack. It's simple to do so, costs nothing, and takes only a few minutes. I can't provide a link because there are different links for different countries and languages. Just search for Imageshack using your browser, and establish an account. Then, push the obvious buttons to upload whatever image you want to attach to your post. "Browse", then "Upload". How hard can it be? :)

Once your image is successfully uploaded, click anywhere within the "Direct Link" box

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER].

Copy the highlighted URL in the "Direct Link" box. If you have a PC, the easiest way to do this is to use Ctrl + C, i.e., hold down the "Ctrl" key and then tap the "C" key. This will copy the URL to your clipboard.

Next, we're going to insert the image into the post.

Aphrodite Mae

Step 2: Upload your image to your post

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:39 am

I'll be using the forums' "go advanced" post interface.

To insert your attachment in your post, place the cursor where you want the attachment to be placed, after any formatting.
Next, click the "Insert Image" button.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

The "Insert Image" Dialog box will appear.
  • Click the "From URL" tab
  • Paste the URL from your clipboard. If you have a PC, the easiest way is to click anywhere within the URL box and then use Ctrl + V. This will paste the URL that you copied in the "Direct Link" box.
  • Ensure that the "Retrieve Remote File and Reference Locally" box is clear. Remember, the reason that we're doing this in this way is because the forums have a problem with local references.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

All that's left to do is preview your post, and admire your new attachment! :)

Aphrodite Mae

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 am

Thank you, your Majesty.

Could this be stickied in the AAR section?
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

lodilefty

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 pm

gchristie wrote:Thank you, your Majesty.

Could this be stickied in the AAR section?

Stickied, and I'll move it if Our Beloved Queen feels so inclined. :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Aphrodite Mae

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:10 pm

You're welcome, George! I placed the thread here for greater visibility to a wider audience. :)
Steve, might I be so presumptuous as to request that a re-direct be posted in the AAR sub-forum?
Aphrodite Mae

lodilefty

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 pm

By your command....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm

I have managed to upload images to the AGEOD server since the forum revamp and see them displayed. I upload the image and then use the add inline option. Then I click on the inline link, copy it and paste the url into the insert image option (and then remove the inline link - a bit of a palaver). What I don't understand is why the AARs I have posted in the past are all fine with screenshots displayed but other images in threads such as the Halloween thread which were posted in the same way have lost the images.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to “The War room”