Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

bugs reported

Sun May 20, 2007 9:43 pm

with the 1.03 patch (the first release) =

- weather patterns are a little to biased towards snow (instead of frozen) when weather turns cold. I mean it's not snowing all the time - and some of the snow will melt away,

- weather patterns biased towards snow and frozen in the Missouri hill region (really weird cause up North nothing cold had started yet - early october). Some of the places = Potosi Mo, Buffalo Mo, West Planes Mo, etc.

- picture for snowy swamp is broken (it seems like the swamp is not there anymore on the top of the screen),

- brigades are caught in Savanah GA, they are locked together with militia and garrison,

- the Britisch build CSA commerce raiders still can be moved manually to the American waters, way before they were finished,

- what about seniority - can you only promote the leader with the best seniority. I would have expected to be able to promote the top 3 ... or top 5 ... and the guys who are passed will be paid for their political rating.

- a bug with switching command from Beauregard to Lee. Also funny to notice I was able to use Lee before the event fired (the event didn't fire), but still Lee was moveable. When I dismissed Beauregard, the game stalled and crashed. During older games this had worked OK, but back then I got the Lee event to fire, now not - but still he was moveable,

- Union blockading at 0%, it's now may 1862 ... and still zero%. This seems to be a game breaker. Money and war supplies are pouring in,

- some weird things are happening with division formation and breakup. Sometimes I see a militia unit in a division, which I don't like - I break up the division ... then the div HQ unit gets a different portrait (like a regular cavalry or infantry unit) and after breaking further down I don't end up with a militia, but with a light infantry regiment.

caranorn

Mon May 21, 2007 11:04 am

Check out your brigades, the Militia probably is in one of them. The separate Light Infantry regiment is created from your Volunteer Brigades (they always reform with Militia only).
Marc aka Caran...

jackfox
Sergeant

Mon May 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Using v1.03 I've experienced a fatal crash at the same point on two different computers. Pocus, the zipped save and error log are on their way. I've had no crashes like this with previous versions.
[color="Gray"]"Was it God's command we heard, or His forgiveness we must forever implore?" — J.L. Chamberlain[/color]

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 2:18 pm

caranorn wrote:Check out your brigades, the Militia probably is in one of them. The separate Light Infantry regiment is created from your Volunteer Brigades (they always reform with Militia only).

there is no light infantries now, but if you still spot one, please report, this cause issues right.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 2:19 pm

jackfox wrote:Using v1.03 I've experienced a fatal crash at the same point on two different computers. Pocus, the zipped save and error log are on their way. I've had no crashes like this with previous versions.

waiting for it, but as of now, I have only the CTD on dismissed army to fix, the rest of the saves I got processed smoothly on my PC... so I'm sending them back processed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jackfox
Sergeant

Mon May 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Pocus wrote:waiting for it, but as of now, I have only the CTD on dismissed army to fix, the rest of the saves I got processed smoothly on my PC... so I'm sending them back processed.

The emails are on the way now. Sorry, I got caught up in the file size limitations with the email server again. :p leure:
[color="Gray"]"Was it God's command we heard, or His forgiveness we must forever implore?" — J.L. Chamberlain[/color]

caranorn

Mon May 21, 2007 2:25 pm

Pocus wrote:there is no light infantries now, but if you still spot one, please report, this cause issues right.

Pocus you mean in the current patch (1.03 beta) there were not supposed to be any Light Infantry units? If that's the case some slipped through. I can confirm the 4th Union Division (Runyon) arrives in the April 1861 Campaign with one such Regiment (probably of the NJ Volunteer Brigade), so does the 1st MD Brigade (and probably others). Or do you mean the problem splitting those brigades out of a division, I can't give a hard example right now, but I had that one still occur in a previous game of 1.03 beta.
Marc aka Caran...

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Spruce wrote:with the 1.03 patch (the first release) =

- weather patterns are a little to biased towards snow (instead of frozen) when weather turns cold. I mean it's not snowing all the time - and some of the snow will melt away,

- weather patterns biased towards snow and frozen in the Missouri hill region (really weird cause up North nothing cold had started yet - early october). Some of the places = Potosi Mo, Buffalo Mo, West Planes Mo, etc.

I don't answer these, because this is not a domain where I'm proficient. This has to be solved by a common discussion between the players, the betas and PhilThib, if you think there is some adjustments to be made in the matrix.

- picture for snowy swamp is broken (it seems like the swamp is not there anymore on the top of the screen),

strange, the snowy swamp picture is there... when you hover over such a region and you see the image don't display, can you exit the game, open the mainlog and tell me what is the graphic which is missing?

- brigades are caught in Savanah GA, they are locked together with militia and garrison,

don't quite understand the issue, can you rephrase or show me a screenshot?

- the Britisch build CSA commerce raiders still can be moved manually to the American waters, way before they were finished,

we will check that, thanks. Can you send me a saved game (with the history backups) as soon as the situation occurs?

- what about seniority - can you only promote the leader with the best seniority. I would have expected to be able to promote the top 3 ... or top 5 ... and the guys who are passed will be paid for their political rating.

this is not exact, the rule is that you can promote a leader if he is of seniority 1 or 2, or has gained 4 points (and some leaders are hardcoded to not be promotable)

- a bug with switching command from Beauregard to Lee. Also funny to notice I was able to use Lee before the event fired (the event didn't fire), but still Lee was moveable. When I dismissed Beauregard, the game stalled and crashed. During older games this had worked OK, but back then I got the Lee event to fire, now not - but still he was moveable,

bug fixed.

- Union blockading at 0%, it's now may 1862 ... and still zero%. This seems to be a game breaker. Money and war supplies are pouring in,

the Union AI can leave the box alone if in big big problem with her navy, but this is strange though... Blockading the boxes is a top priority. Here too a saved game with history would help me.

- some weird things are happening with division formation and breakup. Sometimes I see a militia unit in a division, which I don't like - I break up the division ... then the div HQ unit gets a different portrait (like a regular cavalry or infantry unit) and after breaking further down I don't end up with a militia, but with a light infantry regiment.

cosmetic problem :) can be improved, but not now.

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 2:54 pm

jackfox wrote:The emails are on the way now. Sorry, I got caught up in the file size limitations with the email server again. :p leure:

got them. send with unbase.com or rogepost.com

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 2:55 pm

caranorn wrote:Pocus you mean in the current patch (1.03 beta) there were not supposed to be any Light Infantry units? If that's the case some slipped through. I can confirm the 4th Union Division (Runyon) arrives in the April 1861 Campaign with one such Regiment (probably of the NJ Volunteer Brigade), so does the 1st MD Brigade (and probably others). Or do you mean the problem splitting those brigades out of a division, I can't give a hard example right now, but I had that one still occur in a previous game of 1.03 beta.

the problem will go away if the code on how brigades remembers their elements is improved, I will try to do that in priority this week.

caranorn

Mon May 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Pocus you say leaders can be promoted if they have gained 4 points (I assume in seniority). I have never seen this happen yet, are you sure this works as intended? Right now I can only promote those who have reached seniority of 1 or 2. Though I noticed last night that Lyon got upset when someone else with lower political rating got promoted, yet Lyon was not promotable (even before he lost Seniority over his protest). It's definitely frustrating right now to get anyone promoted except if he's in the big armies out East (lots of casualties in bloody fights).
Marc aka Caran...

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon May 21, 2007 3:57 pm

hey Pocus, let me clarify on the matter =

- the locked up troops in Georgia Savanah are militia and regular brigades in one stack. Altough - each unit seperately is locked - also my regular infantry brigades. So I can't do nothing with those regular infantry brigades. It seems like they are "locked up" by the game engine in Savanah. This is something I never have seen before in other cities,

- about promotion and seniority. The problem (IMHO) is that you are using seniority ratings "mixed" for all classes. So f.e. If you have a few 3 star and 2 star generals with good seniority - you can't promote the one stars anymore. In my game I only have 2 generals I can promote - a one star general and a 2 star general - and both are crappy guys.

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 4:21 pm

these are brigades you built? with the red stripe?

Seniority is for each level, not mixed up. Last time I tried, the "4 points gained" rule worked... now if you are sure that a leader gained 4 points and he is still not promotable, you can send me the game if you want.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Pocus wrote:these are brigades you built? with the red stripe?

Seniority is for each level, not mixed up. Last time I tried, the "4 points gained" rule worked... now if you are sure that a leader gained 4 points and he is still not promotable, you can send me the game if you want.

I think I build those brigades cause they are "regular infantry brigades" =

- 54 th and 53 rd Ga (this brigade has a light infantry regiment),
- 1'st GA sharps,
- some cavalry brigade

all three are locked - please check one of your random games in Savanah GA.

About seniority - there's definately something wrong. Beauregard is the only general with seniority 1 - he's a 3 star. So this means I have for 2star's 2 generals with seniority 2 - but only one (Polk) can be promoted.

For one stars there's a similar issue. There's one guy with seniority 2 - and is promoteable. But there's not a second guy to be promoted cause the number one seniority is General Beauregard, which is 3 star.

Where to mail too please ?

caranorn

Mon May 21, 2007 9:51 pm

1) The units in Savannah. This is normal, these aren't units you built, rather they are the Savannah Garrison and are fixed (maybe an event will release them, but most likely fixed until released by a Union attack).

2) The seniority issue also isn't a problem, seniority is just a number (from 1 to 100 I believe), there can be more then one general of the same rank with the same seniority (I had several seniority 1 2* generals in one game where I didn't want to promote some who would have gained negative traits (Jackson for instance)) and there need not necessarily be one for each level of seniority (there'd have to be at least a hundred of the same rank otherwise).
Marc aka Caran...

Pocus

Tue May 22, 2007 6:10 am

Caranorn is right, if the problem is only that seniority are not all sorted from 1 to +oo, then this is normal, they are just a number. Something which ought to be done though: to show the base seniority, so that you know how many points a general has gained since the start in his grade.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 22, 2007 11:28 am

no, I have to disagree,

1) What's the reason to lock up an entire brigade and a sharps company in Savanah, together with the Savanah garrison which is already quite impressive? Both units don't have garrison in their name. Sorry to say, but the logic is failing here, during that period I had 2 Union incursions a litte more South in Georgia and Florida. And meanwhile I had that brigade and the sharps company sitting there doing nothing.

Also I had incursions in North Carolina - and those units are just sitting there in Savanah. I mean, they are not militia or garrison units - they should be ready of active duty. Or else, transform them into garrison units or militia. There's no logic in your approach.

2) About seniority - my point was that there's something probably not WAD because I only have ONE one star general to be promoted and only ONE 2 star general to be promoted. In fact - my 3 star general has seniority 1. So I can only promote 2 generals at any given time ? Shouldn't that be - 2 generals for each rank ?

I mean what has Bueauregards splendid seniority has to do with promotion chances for one star generals ?

caranorn

Tue May 22, 2007 11:45 am

1) There are many such cases, just take a look at Richmond VA or Washington DC. Note that originally the "Brigade" is a Militia unit, I expect by the time you noticed these units they had trained to conscript or better. I personally don't know the history of these particular units, but I expect there is a very good reason to have them locked.

2) You need not necessarily have any generals promotable at any given time. Seniority is just a number (as Pocus confirmed from 1 to infinite (I had assumed there was an upper limit)), not every number has to be used at a given time... Beauregard's seniority has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to promote any other general, regardless of rank.

Please just reread Pocus's post and my earlier one calmly and you will find all your questions answered.
Marc aka Caran...

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 22, 2007 2:12 pm

I don't get an answer on my questions, I'm pretty calm here.

1) you are not sure on those units I can tell from your posts, so I'm not convinced yet. For the moment I'm clueless. Suppose you are right, it's still very unlogical to not call a unit a garrison, when it's in fact a garrison and is linked to Savanah. I tell you again - those units are not militia nor light infantry, not guns - they are regular infantry brigades. And in their title there's neither "garrison of Savanah".

It's like saying "Longstreets brigade" and there's no garrison in the title, yet the brigade is simply locked. Playing cards ? :fleb:

The approach is not logical and I really think those units shouldn't be garrisons at all.

2) in my game - it's now august 1862 and still I have the same 2 generals to be promotable - those where promotable at the start. Polk (2 star) and Huger (1 star) IRRC. This doesn't correspond to what Pocus told me "Seniority is for each level, not mixed up". Suppose this means that I have 2 2 star generals with high seniority - I can't promote not one star general.

I really think you should be able to promote more then one general in each categorie.

Another explanation for my remarks might be linked to fact that generals receive way too few seniority points.

It's now more then a year in the campaign !

caranorn

Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Okay, a last attempt:-).

1) I'm not one of the game designers, which is why I can't know everything 100% (I'm pretty sure they aren't certain of everything all the time). In this case I know for certain that these locked units are WAD, they are similar to the also locked garrisons of Washington or Richmond (start a new game with the July 1861 scenario, take a look at all three towns (you will have to load the game twice, once from each side, or just deactivate FOW). Those garrisons by the way also have their historic designations. The only thing I don't know for certain in this issue is whether the Savannah Garrison is released by a later event.

2) If you had promoted these two generals you'd now have 0 generals promotable. If one or more of your other generals had participated in an action where seniority points were awarded you might have other generals promotable.

And yes, I agree on the bit about too few seniority points awarded, but that's something Pocus might look into sometime in the future.
Marc aka Caran...

Carrington
Captain

Tue May 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Spruce wrote:I don't get an answer on my questions, I'm pretty calm here.

1) you are not sure on those units I can tell from your posts, so I'm not convinced yet. For the moment I'm clueless. Suppose you are right, it's still very unlogical to not call a unit a garrison, when it's in fact a garrison and is linked to Savanah. I tell you again - those units are not militia nor light infantry, not guns - they are regular infantry brigades. And in their title there's neither "garrison of Savanah".

It's like saying "Longstreets brigade" and there's no garrison in the title, yet the brigade is simply locked. Playing cards ? :fleb:

The approach is not logical and I really think those units shouldn't be garrisons at all.

The game has a lot of garrison units built in, some called "garrison," some not. In fact, the cynic might note that the units with the prettiest uniforms and names would be the ones least likely to be 'federalized' for service away from home.

Regardless, the designers have decided that they wanted to use the "lock-down" feature to ensure that large numbers of units stay resident in a specific place. You may disagree with the design decision, but it's their game.

One of the nice things about the game is that it would be pretty easy to mod out all the locked units to create your own scenario: by all means, give it a try.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 22, 2007 9:28 pm

1) I subscribe that the game design team is doing the job very good. But the Savanah units are so large, it's a little unrealistic - and some of those units are not designated as garrison or militia - that's the reason why. Savanah now has more then 5000 confederate soldiers in that locked up stack. While Richmond (being the capital and closer to the action), only having 2500 confederate soldiers.

Suppose it's historically justified to have such an amount of troops from the beginning of the war in Savanah - sure it's not right to have them locked up there during the war. It's now late 1862 and the Union is breaching all my lines - and still the Savanah garrison is there deep South. Another approach would have been to "lock" a basic amount of forces for the bigger cities. Surpluss units are not locked and can be moved by the player if needed to.

2) about promotion - I still find too few generals to be promotable,

3) Generals won't die. At harpers ferry, I lost 2 of 4 Corps from the ANV - not one general got wounded - let alone died. Ahistorical,

4) There's a promotion bug - I had Longstreet having sen. 1 and he was a division commander. I couldn't promote him - only if I removed his division from the corps - I could promote him - and next turn he became 2 star general.

tc237
Colonel

Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Spruce wrote:4) There's a promotion bug - I had Longstreet having sen. 1 and he was a division commander. I couldn't promote him - only if I removed his division from the corps - I could promote him - and next turn he became 2 star general.

Yeah, that's been there since release. Don't know if it is a bug and if they are gonna change it.

3) Generals won't die. At harpers ferry, I lost 2 of 4 Corps from the ANV - not one general got wounded - let alone died. Ahistorical

Some people want more Generals death's, but IMO there aren't enough generals in the game yet. Too many deaths will severly limit the general pool.
Maybe we need to start researching and creating files for more generals?

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 22, 2007 10:13 pm

tc237 wrote:Some people want more Generals death's, but IMO there aren't enough generals in the game yet. Too many deaths will severly limit the general pool.
Maybe we need to start researching and creating files for more generals?

well, now you mention it - after the first year you'll notice the amount of generals for your divisions (or just added to stack) is not that abundand anymore.

yes, more generals - cause divisions will be formeable in the future without HQ units.

something I saw was that brigade size is considerable larger (there are brigades with more then 4000 soldiers - that's nearly the size of a confederate division ! F.e. at second Manassas, one of the biggest brigades was one of the Texans (of Hood division) with 2600 soldiers. But at average - one can count on 1400 - 1500 soldiers for a brigade - not 4000 or more.

Pocus

Wed May 23, 2007 6:28 am

About the Savanah garrison, what is the campaign you are playing? It is strange to have 5000 men permanently locked true.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 23, 2007 10:05 am

Pocus wrote:About the Savanah garrison, what is the campaign you are playing? It is strange to have 5000 men permanently locked true.

july campaign '61 - when the game starts the display of the brigade is like a militia - but later in the game the display transforms into a regular brigade with many soldiers. Normally a garrsion or militia unit has 1000 soldiers max - but this one gets much bigger as the war progresses. That's why I'm saying that something is not logical.

Neither do I understand why there are sharps locked in Savanah - perhaps duck hunting ?

Montbrun
Major

Wed May 23, 2007 12:58 pm

I've had no problems promoting Leaders. They have to participate in combat. If I want to be able to promote - for example - JEB Stuart, or Longstreet from their beginning Brigadier ranks, I just make damn sure they're participating in several combats. Eventually, you'l get the "promotable" message. I assume they have received four "points" for promotion.

Pocus

Wed May 23, 2007 2:35 pm

ok, we will check that, sound weird indeed.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Wed May 23, 2007 7:53 pm

I think there might be a movement bug between Canton, MS and both Copiah, MS and Claiborn, MS provinces (in or around Jackson). It seems I cannot generate a direct move path between either, even though they are adjacent.

Pocus

Thu May 24, 2007 9:42 am

fixed, thanks.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”