Mangudai
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:39 am

Toledo IL is a mistake. The town at that railroad junction is "Tolono" IL.

Urbana IL is and was a much larger town about 10 miles north of Tolono. Urbana had a train station and water and coal depots for locomotives. During college I walked or rode my bike through the abandoned wasteland where those facilties used to be almost every day. Remnants of an old wooden water tower still stand by the tracks. Today that land is in Champaign IL, but at the time of the Civil War "Champaign" was known as "West Urbana". Urbana-Champaign has lots of old brick buildings that predate the civil war, including more than a few industrial/warehouse buildings near the tracks.
The east-west railway bypassed Urbana because the area west of Urbana was too marshy before drainage techniques were implemented. The area around Tolono is higher and drier so that is where the railroad went, however Tolono is an insignificant little village.

"Urbana" is the best name for that settlement in the game. "Tolono" is all right. "Toledo" is simply wrong.

caranorn

George Gordon Meade

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:43 pm

I just noticed Meade has his first name mispelled in the game as "Goerge".
Marc aka Caran...

HAZBONES
Conscript

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:03 am

I need to "represent" my home state by pointing out a couple minor things I found poking around the Texas map...

First, Dallas was not in Kaufman Co. My parents live there now and Kaufman still is just a tiny little country town that never even got growing until the railroad made it to the town long after the Civil War. Funny that they still named the county after Kaufman. Dallas was in Dallas County in 1861 and I think Ft. Worth (in Tarrent Co.) should be represented on the map west of Dallas since the Fort was established in the 1840's and is now the 18th largest city in the US.

Ft Worth was built on the Chisholm Trail, all you John Wayne fans know as that trail where all the old cowboy movies depicted the cattle drives taking place. There were a whole line of minor forts (like fort Richardson) around Dallas and along the Trinity River in Texas to gaurd the settlers from the natives and I think at least showing Ft Worth would surfice in representing the line of forts in the Dallas area.

Great game btw. Keep it up!
Haz

johnnyreb6
Conscript

name problem

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:24 am

Cristianburg in southwestern Virginia should be spelled Christiansburg. Also, Drummond, MD in Worcester should be part of Virginia since it is in Virginia's Eastern Shore.
Anyway, it is a really good game.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:13 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:25 am

deleted

HAZBONES
Conscript

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:40 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:The regions are not counties per se, they are just geographic references. If they were counties, there would probably be 10 times as many (county) regions.

I understand that and Texas had more counties than a majority of other states did in 1861 so trying to add all counties would make a really crowded map. My only issue was the fact that Kaufman, which was a town only a fraction the size of Dallas in 1861, is being used to represent the region which Dallas is in was sort of odd IMO.

The other thing was that there were so many forts constructed all the way from the Red River down to Dallas in the 1840~1860's that not having at least 1 being shown on the map was also strange. Dallas county was known as the "edge of the west" in the 1860's. Hostile indians inhabited everything west of Dallas. I suggested placing a fort west of Dallas (Ft Worth) to represent this line of forts (like a side box as you did with Arizona Terr, etc).

Just some suggestions to help add some more local realism to the game.

Haz

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:09 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:02 pm

deleted

BedfordForrest
Conscript

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi Folks,

This is my first post and I must say I'm loving the game so far! Only a minor thing, but on Maryland's eastern shore, the city of Denton is too far north. Denton actually lies on the northern bank of the Choptank river (on the map it would be smack in-between the Choptank and Chester Rivers), and on the map it's on the north bank of the Chester River. That spot on the north bank of the Chester is actually Chestertown, which like Denton was an important boat-building city of the time.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:45 pm

deleted

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:13 pm

Gray, fabulous work as always, and much appreciated.

But, as you go along:

--Do you ever take into account game play considerations, or do you always favor utter historical accuracy when making a change?

--Do players ever report game imbalances and/or drastic changes to smart game play by your changes?

For instance, I can see where removing that RR running south along the west side of the Mississippi River might drastically impact Bigus' Trans Mississippi scenario.

I'm not saying you shouldn't fix the historical inaccuracy. Your work greatly enhances AACW's appeal. I personally value historical accuracy and plausibility above all else in my historical/war games, game balance and favored strategies be damned!
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Gray_Lensman

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:09 am

deleted

BedfordForrest
Conscript

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Unbelievable responsiveness! That's awesome! Too bad my hometown of Easton is now swallowed up by Denton :) though I think it was pretty much just a RR connector to Salisbury in it's day...

Gray_Lensman

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:34 am

deleted

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm

One very small map error...... which doesn't affect gameplay one bit:

The European countries map shows a (post-1945) 2008 map of the Netherlands, including the Province of Flevoland (which was raised from the sea in the 20th Century) and 2008 borders.

Just my 2c

Does this area even do anything in game btw?

lycortas
Sergeant

small late changes

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi, sorry for the late changes but i just purchased the game.

You show "Piedmont" in western Maryland. Pidmont is one area to the southeast in West Virginia along the river. Where you show Piedmont should probably be Westernport, Maryland, the furthest west steam vessels could navigate up the Potomac. Also, it is one of the few gaps in the bluffs so there could be a port.

Second, um, no Fort Wayne, Indiana? I believe it was the largest city in Indiana at the time and you have at least one city in Indiana i have never heard of... but no Fort Wayne.

Third, you have a "Grand Port" in western Michigan. There is no Grand Port. I assume you were going for Grand Haven, but that was never more than a small town. Kalamazoo or Battle Creek south of Grand Rapids were both larger and important railroad towns.

Thanks for the great game,

Michael Johnson

Gray_Lensman

Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:31 am

deleted

johnnyreb6
Conscript

James City

Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:57 am

Williams in James City should be called Williamsburg.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:43 am

deleted

johnnyreb6
Conscript

official patch

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:42 am

when should the next official patch be out?

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Union general Hurlbut is mispelt as "Hurlburt" in the game, in case it hasn't been noticed already. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Rear Rank 2
Conscript

Tue May 06, 2008 6:15 am

Hi,

Awesome game!

Running 1.10- In the state of Georgia, the region southwest of Atlanta that is called Paulding should be called Coweta (Paulding is northwest of Atlanta) and it was called Coweta during the Civil War. The town of Newman in the same region is spelled Newnan with an 'n' not a 'm'.

It's the town I live in now. ;)

Thanks.
"By files, on the right, into line.....March!"

Gray_Lensman

Tue May 06, 2008 11:55 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Very minor, but In the element detail screen Lee's nickname is shown as "Mars" and not "Marse".

Also Joe Johnston has the nickname "Old". This might be better displayed as "Old Joe"?

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 25, 2008 11:32 pm

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Minor typo errors in Virginia:

- The unit "Tappahanock Militia" should be changed to "Tappahannock Militia" which matches the correct spelling of the town on the map.

- The town of "Cristianburg" should be changed to "Christiansburg"; the name of the militia also needs the last "s" added.

edit: difficult region name change requests removed

From a request made last July; the Tappahannock Militia unit is still misspelled; need the second "n". In Christiansburg, the first "h" was added to the town, but both the town and militia still need the last "s" to make it plural.

Multiple sources available upon request. Or you can just come visit me. ;)

GShock

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:10 pm

'tis unbelievable how he just snaps his fingers and rebuilds map, harbors, cities, rails...simply unbelievable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:25 pm

The support is amazing, no other word for it. I have tested other games before but there is no doubt the original crew of Pocus and Phil etc. combined with the help they have enlisted such as Gray (and many others I forget) are the best ever to work with.

I only bumped this to the top because at the time I originally posted the game was undergoing more important fixes.

Gray will have this one fixed in days I bet. Then he can visit Garnett's grave in Tappahannock w/ the Tappahannock Militia and I will give him a tour of the Tappahannock monument on the Rappahannock river.. :)

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:08 pm

There is a tooltip message related to destroying a depot which is very misleading. If you attempt to use a locked unit to destroy a depot the tooltip says "A depot cannot be razed if it is level 2 or above."

In fact it has nothing to with the size of the depot (don't even think there is a "level 2" depot?), but rather the unit doing the destroying. Not a big deal for vets but this could be seriously confusing for new players.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”