jimwinsor
General of the Army

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:08 pm

"Is Nelson in the game? If not, maybe he should be."

And if he is, maybe he should be the Union general targeted for random death, instead of Sickles. :)

Jabberwock

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 am

LMUBill wrote:Camp Dick Robinson was in Garrard County near Bryantsville (North of Lancaster), about 10 miles ENE of Danville. The only modern signs that it was there are a historical marker at the intersection od US 27 and KY 34 and Camp Dick Robinson Elementary School in Lancaster.

So that would put it in the Lincoln region?

On another note, while taking a closer look at that section of the map, I noticed that the Kentucky River is spelled Kentucjy.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:08 am

Jabberwock wrote:So that would put it in the Lincoln region?

On another note, while taking a closer look at that section of the map, I noticed that the Kentucky River is spelled Kentucjy.

Yep! And Camp Nelson would be right next to it in the Fayette region.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

McCulloch in '64

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:16 am

I was poking around the 1864 scenario, and as the CSA I noticed that Ben McCulloch was listed as a general in one of the corps attached to Johnston's army; should not be so as he died at Pea Ridge in '62.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE="1"](Click HERE for AAR)[/size][/CENTER]

PhilThib

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:33 am

Shall be fixed with next patch. Thanks :indien:

bstarr
Private

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:09 pm

In East Texas - Milan should be Milam.

Also, there was a railline from Shreveport to Marshal Texas, but there wasn't one from Shreveport to Monroe. The Vicksburg to Monroe line was called the Vicksburg/Shreveport line, but apparently the westernmost leg was unfinished. At least it was in the 1860 survey.

Don Stone
Conscript

Jesse Reno in 1964

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Saw another "dead" general in the 1864 scenario -- Jesse Reno.

Died in 1862 at South Mountain.

Paul Roberts

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:28 pm

Perhaps these have been mentioned already, but here goes:

--I just noticed that the game treats Atlanta as the capital city of Georgia. In fact Milledgeville was the capital until 1868.

--West Virginia's territory was part of Virginia until it was made a separate state in June 1863. Does the fact that WV and VA are separate states in the beginning of the campaign have any game effect?

mikee64
Brigadier General

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Minor typos and geographic errors in Virginia:

- The unit "Tappahanock Militia" should be changed to "Tappahannock Militia" which matches the correct spelling of the town on the map.

- The town of "Cristianburg" should be changed to "Christiansburg"; the name of the militia also needs the last "s" added.

- The "village" of Roanoke is mislocated; if on map at all it should be located between the villages of Salem and Liberty. Salem territory should be renamed to Roanoke territory. Roanoke county was named after the river in the 1830's and was never called Salem county; Salem was the original county seat, but the major rail exchanges run through what is now Roanoke city. Leaving Salem as the name of the village but changing the territory name to Roanoke would probably best reflect the situation in 1861.

Trivia: Richard and Robert Garnett are from Tappahannock; the former rode into infamy in the charge at Gettysburg after feeling Jacksons wrath at Kernstown; the latter was the first general officer killed in the ACW.
Daniel Boone once lived in Christiansburg; he was arrested there.
Mike

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 pm

There is a region in the far NW corner of South Carolina called Walhalla. It is completely inside the borders of SC as drawn on the AACW map; this region is listed incorrectly as Walhalla, NC, however. It should be Walhalla SC instead.

(Purely cosmetic of course so I realize it probably goes at about #999 of the 1000 or so things to be done...)

wiltaz
Corporal

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 am

Currituck, VA should really be a region in NC. It's basically drawn right although a small portion of it crosses the NC/VA border, but it should be assigned to NC.

Pdubya64
Captain

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Vrown Point, IN should be Crown Point, IN (near Chicago)

PeterD
Conscript

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:15 pm

There are a few regions with duplicate names on the map.

Region 76: same name ("Susquehanna, PA") as 46
Region 165: same name ("Whyte, VA") as 151
Region 231: same name ("Burke, NC") as 205
Region 1218: same name ("Small Rapid") as 1208
Region 1471: same name ("Eastern Gulf of Mexico") as 1466
Region 1485: same name ("Moore, WV") as 484

1471 is definitely an error - it should be named "Western Gulf of Mexico" as per the map graphics.

At least in some of the remaining cases, the duplication is for regions that are either adjacent to each other, or almost so. This leads me to believe they may be unintended. Perhaps people could suggest alternatives to replace one or the other in each case?

BTW, in case it's hard to find them: one of the "Small Rapid" regions is b/w the cities of Marietta (Washington, OH) and Parkersburg (Ohio, WV). The other is just north of the city of Clarksburg (Mason, KY).

PeterD
Conscript

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:24 pm

In the "Political States" map view, Allegany, PA is displayed in Maryland blue.

Looking at the Areas.ini file, we see an "$Allegany, MD" entry for Area #3 (MD), and there is no "$Allegany, PA" entry for Area #2 (PA).

I'm no expert on which state this region should be in (PA, I am guessing), but it needs to make up it's mind!

Jabberwock

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:02 pm

PeterD wrote:There are a few regions with duplicate names on the map.

Region 76: same name ("Susquehanna, PA") as 46
Region 231: same name ("Burke, NC") as 205
Region 1218: same name ("Small Rapid") as 1208
Region 1471: same name ("Eastern Gulf of Mexico") as 1466
Region 1485: same name ("Moore, WV") as 484

1471 is definitely an error - it should be named "Western Gulf of Mexico" as per the map graphics.

At least in some of the remaining cases, the duplication is for regions that are either adjacent to each other, or almost so. This leads me to believe they may be unintended. Perhaps people could suggest alternatives to replace one or the other in each case?

BTW, in case it's hard to find them: one of the "Small Rapid" regions is b/w the cities of Marietta (Washington, OH) and Parkersburg (Ohio, WV). The other is just north of the city of Clarksburg (Mason, KY).

One of the "Small Rapid"s used to be named Wild Rapid. I think it was the one near Clarksburg, but not sure. This was in v1.03. I believe the northern Susquehanna, PA used to be Lackawanna, PA; and the southern one should be part of Maryland.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:11 am

There is a tooltip for the event: "First CSA Militias are Taking Up Arms" which occurs around May 1861.

The tooltip reads "Militias raided. Need remplacements."

Think this should be "Militias raised. Need replacements."

PeterD
Conscript

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:06 am

There is a region "Mississipi, MO".

Should that be "Mississip[color="Red"]p[/color]i, MO"?

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:48 pm

There is a 10 lb Parrot element I have seen in several games that has the wrong description in the elements panel. The NATO symbol is shown correctly as regular artillery but the description says "6 lb pounder". In all other regards this element behaves as the 10 lb Parrot, just this description is wrong. In my current screenshot the element is part of the 2nd Arkansas bgde but I'm not sure if this is always the case. See attached, its the bottom element with tooltip shown.
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

caranorn

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:18 pm

6 pounder is the (flavour) name of the unit. Essentially that battery started out as a 6 pounder unit and was upgraded to 10 pounder parrot at some later point but names don't change with those upgrades.
Marc aka Caran...

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:49 pm

Ah ok, didn't realize that. Thanks!

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:39 am

PeterD wrote:There are a few regions with duplicate names on the map.

Actually this is a spelling error. 161 should be Wythe.

PeterD
Conscript

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:39 am

LMUBill wrote:Actually this is a spelling error. 161 should be Wythe.

Thanks, yeah the map correctly shows the town Wytheville so it should be "165Wythe, VA".

I had a look at the other Whyte, VA (just west of Lynchburg). The town there is Liberty (it became Bedford City in 1890).

I couldn't find anything to support naming this region "Whyte". I suggest it be changed to "Bedford", since that is and was the name of the county of which Liberty was the county seat.

Here are some links:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/a/r/Thomas-A-Markham-sr/FILE/0030page.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford,_Virginia

"Bedford lost more residents per capita in the Normandy landings than any other American community. Nineteen soldiers from Bedford, whose 1944 population was about 3,200, were killed on D-Day. Three other Bedford soldiers died later in the Normandy campaign. Proportionally this community suffered the nation's severest D-Day losses."

Hobbes

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:32 am

From studying contemporary maps for the Harbour mod it seems that
the town of William (137) should be called Williamsburg and South Port (231)
should be called Smithville.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?gmd:3:./temp/~ammem_Ureu::

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?gmd:1:./temp/~ammem_CnKb::

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
apprch-wilm.jpg

PBBoeye
General

Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:23 pm

One of the things I've found that affects these names getting changed is this - each name correction requires that ALL files be searched for the occurence of the name in question. The scn files, the event files (which there are a ton of) and so forth. Because those files use the region names for location of reinforcements, when event conditions are met, etc.

Nightmare-ish, really. Just wanted to throw it out there so people realize just changing or correcting one name is pretty cumbersome.

Hobbes

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:22 pm

I think I saw somebody doing a grep on files in a thread recently.
I wouldn't have thought these towns would figure much in the game so if the chap that can do a grep can search for these town names maybe there wouldn't be much to change? At least worth a search - if there is a lot of work involved then we can forget about it.

Cheers, Chris

PBBoeye
General

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:54 pm

I am not sure what a grep is?

Rafiki

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:02 am

"grep" is a command for finding text in a set of one or more files (usually on a Unix/Linux system)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:52 am

PBBoeye wrote:I am not sure what a grep is?

I did a Windows search and I see what you mean - there are a lot of files that contain the name! Still - as long as a grep or Windows search highlights all the instances I don't see that it would be a huge job to change them.

Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am

but you will want to work on the XLS files, not the text files...

About a region name, what is important for the code is the alias... so you can change the actual name of a region and only this one. If the alias is not changed, then it should works.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Mangudai
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:22 am

viper73 wrote:If I recall, you have Terre Haute in Indiana, but refer to it as Terre Haute, Illinois. Living only 15 miles from Terre Haute, I wish it was in Illinois! :niark:

The regions overlap the IL IN border. 2/3 of the Terre Haute region is in IL, but Terre Haute is the most important town in that region. I noticed that most of the regions in the midwest are named for towns not counties. I would offer to research the names, but it might be better to just leave it alone. Counties in the midwest are often rectangular and don't match the shape of the game's regions very well.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”