jackfox
Sergeant

minor name/city accuracy issues

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 pm

First of all...great game!!! I've noticed a couple of issues with names of generals and an incorrectly named city.

1. The game shows a "Stuart Heintzelman". His first name was Samuel.
2. John A. McClernand's name is displayed correctly, but when you add units to his stack the tab displays "E. McClernand's Command" instead of "J McClernand's..."
3. There is a city in Central Illinois that is named Toledo. I believe this should be either Champaign or Urbana. It is located on the map southeast of Bloomington and East of Springfield.

Again, great game. I've been waiting for something like this FOREVER!!!

tc237
Colonel

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Dev Team,
Is there an area in the forum for these kind of "bugs"?
I'm also making a list of little things that might not be correct.
Also for a Wishlist?

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks for these corrections. They'll be fixed as soon as possible (meaning: very quickly)

Do not hesitate to flag any mistakes, we'll be gratefull for your help. :cwboy:

The place for corrections could be this thread, I'm going to stick it.

For the wish list, open a thread and fire away. We'll comment and answer.

Regards,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:12 pm

A couple of items in the Gettysburg battle scenario:

-The first page of the historical summary (F10) is not displayed, instead I believe the placeholder variable is being shown.

-Where is Hood and his command?

otherwise looks great so far!

rickd79
Colonel

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:48 pm

mikee64 wrote:A couple of items in the Gettysburg battle scenario:

-The first page of the historical summary (F10) is not displayed, instead I believe the placeholder variable is being shown.

-Where is Hood and his command?

otherwise looks great so far!

Gettysburg wasn't put in until the very last second, so the Beta team didn't have much chance to give any feedback. I'm going to take a close look at it later today. :sourcil:
(By all means keep calling out historical inaccuracies in this thread...makes our job easier as well as the AGEOD folks)

von Beanie
Corporal

Suggested name changes for the Kansas region

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:35 am

I just looked at the map and it looks very nice.

As a geography professor and Kansas native, I have several concerns regarding how the Kansas geography is portrayed. I'm offering these suggestions just in case you are interested in making future map changes:

"Colby" is much further west, and wasn't even a village in Civil War times. Perhaps that area should be named Topeka? "Dodge" is also problematic. There wasn't much in that region at the beginning of the Civil War, and Dodge City didn't exist (much further SW of there) until the railroad era more than a decade later.

"Centreville" Kansas should probably be renamed "Osawatomie", since that village existed on the Marais des Cygnes River (Osage River) and was where the famous abolitionist John Brown had settled.

"Irving" Kansas does not appear on any maps I have (google-map it yourself). "Trading Post" or "La Cygne" existed in that area, and both were close to the site of the Marais des Cygnes massacre from that era. Either would be preferred to Irving in my opinion.

"Scott" Kansas should be "Fort Scott" Kansas, and it was an important fortified post and supply center in the region starting in the 1840s. Perhaps you should consider making it a village/fort since it was the largest fortified settlement in that whole region, and much bigger than the "Fort Smith" (Council Grove) that is represented west of there.

I have never heard of a "Fort Smith" Kansas (Fort Smith is in Arkansas). Based on the rivers it looks like it represents "Council Grove" Kansas, which was an important settlement on the Santa Fe Trail and place where the Indians gathered.

I have never heard of "Grand Bend" Kansas. Rather, there is a "Great Bend" Kansas, but it's much further west. It might be better to call that region the "Flint Hills".

I can't find "Singlewood" Kansas either. Perhaps you should use "Baxter Springs" for this area. Baxter Springs was the site of a skirmish.

Finally, I would rename "Osage" Kansas to "Olathe" Kansas for the simple reason that a skirmish was faught at Olathe (in the same region), and it was an important Union outpost guarding the border region.

Keep in mind that these are just naming suggestions to make the map more realistic in terms of the Civil War geography.

Chris0827
General

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 am

You missed the most obvious mistake. Kansas was a state not a territory at the beginning of the Civil War.

PhilThib

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 am

We'll fix these in a future patch. Thanks :indien:

Jonathan Palfrey
Sergeant

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:26 am

The map shows "Bowling Greene" in central Kentucky. I'm not an American, but this is "Bowling Green" (no final 'e') on the maps I've seen and Wikipedia's entry describing the city.

Also, in normal English "bowling green" has no final 'e'.

It is possible to find a few examples of "Bowling Greene" on the Web, but I think they're probably mistakes.

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Jonathan Palfrey wrote:The map shows "Bowling Greene" in central Kentucky. I'm not an American, but this is "Bowling Green" (no final 'e') on the maps I've seen and Wikipedia's entry describing the city.

Also, in normal English "bowling green" has no final 'e'.

It is possible to find a few examples of "Bowling Greene" on the Web, but I think they're probably mistakes.

I mentioned that one to them (along with Prestonsburg, KY and Livingston, TN as well) when I helped out with the Tennessee and Kentucky maps, but I guess it slipped through the cracks.

Plus some period maps may have spelled it that way. Barbourville, Kentucky is spelled on every Civil War era map I have seen as "Barboursville" when in fact there has never been an "s" in the name. Barboursville (with the "s") is in West Virginia.

There are some towns in the area that don't have the same names today..... and on the map they are correct for the period. The guys at AGEOD did their research well. :)

If that's all that is wrong with the game then I can live with the mistake. :)

Spharv2

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 pm

LMUBill wrote:I mentioned that one to them (along with Prestonsburg, KY and Livingston, TN as well) when I helped out with the Tennessee and Kentucky maps, but I guess it slipped through the cracks.

Plus some period maps may have spelled it that way. Barbourville, Kentucky is spelled on every Civil War era map I have seen as "Barboursville" when in fact there has never been an "s" in the name. Barboursville (with the "s") is in West Virginia.

There are some towns in the area that don't have the same names today..... and on the map they are correct for the period. The guys at AGEOD did their research well. :)

If that's all that is wrong with the game then I can live with the mistake. :)

Yeah, some "mistakes" really aren't. Today, maps are generally standardized, but at the time of the Civil War, two people living two miles apart could have two completely different names for the town they live near. :) I can't remember if it was Green or Greene on the maps I was going off of, I'd have to find and unpack them (Getting ready to move). I tried to use names from a single source so there would at least be some kind of continuity, but it can lead to things like this where the more common name was left out in favor of what I had in my source. So...in short, blame me. :)

mayonaise
Conscript

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:57 am

you have "minesota" in Iowa.. minnesota was a state, not a region in iowa, that actually supplied quite a few troops to the union.

i don't know if you did this intentionally or not

PhilThib

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:54 am

Yes it is, the region takes its name from the river there... we just probably failed to get the proper county's name... :siffle:

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:40 pm

rickd79 wrote:Gettysburg wasn't put in until the very last second, so the Beta team didn't have much chance to give any feedback. I'm going to take a close look at it later today. :sourcil:
(By all means keep calling out historical inaccuracies in this thread...makes our job easier as well as the AGEOD folks)

First post here, great game! :)

Just a few more nitpicks at the "last second" Gettysburg scenario: For one, Sickles should be in command of Union III Corps, not McDowell.

And in fact, the set up in early June has all forces hovering in or near Gettysburg. I think this is not right; at this time forces should be in roughly their post-Chancellorsville positions still down in VA. And with Hooker still in command of a less-than-cohesive, recently defeated AoP.

This would make a better Gettysburg scenario in any case; the current one looks like just a big dogpile into the adjacent Gettysburg space, which is not terribly interesting. A manuever campaign starting in Virginia having Lee move north (with Baltimore and/or DC as objectives) would be far more interesting! Maybe redesign the whole thing along these lines? Just a suggestion! :sourcil:

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:50 pm

Another thing I ntticed, when looking at the 1861 campaigns: The North seems to have the ability change Industrialization and Habeus Corpus settings in Texas. Is this a bug?

Spharv2

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:48 pm

jimwinsor wrote:Another thing I ntticed, when looking at the 1861 campaigns: The North seems to have the ability change Industrialization and Habeus Corpus settings in Texas. Is this a bug?

No, the Southwest areas are lumped in with Texas, so once the CSA takes Tuscon, that will be gone.

Chris0827
General

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:09 pm

jimwinsor wrote:First post here, great game! :)

Just a few more nitpicks at the "last second" Gettysburg scenario: For one, Sickles should be in command of Union III Corps, not McDowell.

And in fact, the set up in early June has all forces hovering in or near Gettysburg. I think this is not right; at this time forces should be in roughly their post-Chancellorsville positions still down in VA. And with Hooker still in command of a less-than-cohesive, recently defeated AoP.

This would make a better Gettysburg scenario in any case; the current one looks like just a big dogpile into the adjacent Gettysburg space, which is not terribly interesting. A manuever campaign starting in Virginia having Lee move north (with Baltimore and/or DC as objectives) would be far more interesting! Maybe redesign the whole thing along these lines? Just a suggestion! :sourcil:

The northern cities need Garisons too. The confederate AI likes to go after them.

Pocus

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:13 am

on one hand somes says they find we are giving freely too much units at start, on the other some want more units pre garrisoning cities :)

You can recruit militia in area under threat, they are ready in one turn, for this duty they are perfect!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

mike1962
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:08 pm

I realize that many towns were known by different names and spellings. I have seen Cold Harbor spelled Cold Harbour and even Coal Harbor. One city I did notice that should be changed is the City of Montgomery in region Montgomery, Pennsylvania. It should be Chester. Chester is the oldest city in Pennsyvania and was the fist capitol of Pennsylvania before it was moved to York and ultimately Harrisburg. Chester had one of the highest populations in the area at the time of the Civil War and their shipyards supplied the Union with many ships. The region is actually Delaware County, though that might be confusing as it lies so close to Delaware state, there is a Montgomery county in the area so you could leave the region as Montgomery. The town graphic of West Chester is correct, it is west of Chester City. Lincoln actually had a newspaper press seized from there. Thanks, Mike, btw love this game!!!

soccercw
Private

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:30 am

those of us born in chester, right across the commodore barry bridge, agree :cwboy:

Winfield S. Hancock
Captain

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 am

The city in New Kent County Virginia should be Williamsburg, rather than Williams as it is currently spelled.

will b
Conscript

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Just got the game and I'm working through the tutorial and so far I'm very impressed but looking at the map I found a few mis-spellings/errors in North Carolina

Moorehead City should be Morehead City

Ocracock should be spelled Ocracoke

Irdell should be spelled Iredell

Pamlicoe should be spelled Pamlico

Old Topsail Inlet should be Beaufort Inlet

Also some of the counties are mixed up as well:

Beaufort should be Craven
Craven should be Pamlico
Martin should be Pitt
Washington should be Beaufort
Sampson should be Wayne

PhilThib

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:05 am

Are these spelling those in used in the 1860 census (which was our base for getting the names) ?

marecone

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:37 am

AGEOD team perhaps did some mistakes with regions but there is so many of them :cwboy: . Also, as PhilThib is saying, they are using names and spelling from 1861. Also counties did look different back then and so on.

Anyway, I too would like this game to be 100% accurate but we have to be very cerefull what we will change. Perhaps if you could state your resource or something like it. That would probably halp much.

Godspeed and keep posting
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

christof139
Lieutenant

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:53 am

Problem is that the Census and other data including maps frequently did not use local spellings of places and geographic features, and sometimes British English spelling was used along with American English spelling, so ...

When I was in school, pre-college in the 1950's and 1960's, we were still taught both the British English spelling and American English spelling, but I went to school in a very good local Michigan school district.

An example of Americans from different regions spelling things differently than the inhabitants of certain regions would be 'Kenawha' and 'Kanawha' River and Valley in West Virginia. People that made certain maps and some of the census entries used the non-local spelling and pronunciation of 'Ken-a-wha', while in West Virginia and Ohio and Virginia it is known as 'Kanawha' and pronounced as 'Cahn-awe' by West Virginians. The 'Ken' in 'Kenawha' probably came from an easterner or someone else probably not from West Virginia.

Dialects and languages and spelling can be sooooo much fun. :fleb: :bonk:

Chris
That's a USS Cairo class river ironclad, one of Pook's turtles.

will b
Conscript

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:36 pm

marecone wrote:AGEOD team perhaps did some mistakes with regions but there is so many of them :cwboy: . Also, as PhilThib is saying, they are using names and spelling from 1861. Also counties did look different back then and so on.

Anyway, I too would like this game to be 100% accurate but we have to be very cerefull what we will change. Perhaps if you could state your resource or something like it. That would probably halp much.

Godspeed and keep posting

No problem.

Doing some more research I found a few mistakes of my own:

In 1861-65 Pamlico Co. didn't exist. It wasn't formed until 1872.

Beaufort Inlet was orginally called Old Topsail but I couldn't find any infromation about when that change occured.

Here's some information on historical county boundaries:

http://www.mynorthcarolinagenealogy.com/nc_maps/nc_cf.htm

Depending on the source "Ocracoke", "Occacock" and several spellings were in use during the 19th century:

http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news080203.htm

Here's a brief bio on John Motley Morehead, with a sample of his signature. He spells it with one 'o' and since the town's named for him I'd say that's the correct spelling

http://www.itpi.dpi.state.nc.us/governors/morehead.html

Pocus

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:45 am

Old Topsail is ok, I got it from an ACW map. The rest I don't know, I have not done much things on the map.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Wolfpack
Conscript

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 am

I happened to find a site that seems to have quite a few maps from the era if anyone is interested: http://www.davidrumsey.com/view.html
There are a couple of different methods listed for viewing. I used the first in the list, though you do have to disable pop-ups from this site to allow it to load the insight page. Once that page has loaded it's a simple matter of searching by country, state, keyword, etc and doubleclicking the map of your choice. Very nice detail when zoomed in.
"[color="Navy"]First at Bethel[/color], [color="Red"]Farthest at Gettysburg[/color], and [color="Gray"]Last at Appomattox[/color]"
:siffle: 'n Dixie!

[font="Georgia"][color="Red"]"That government is best which governs least."
Henry David Thoreau[/color][/font]

Snoob
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:36 am

I've mentioned this before but in another thread so just to add it to this sticky:

Carl Schurz and the cavalry regiment that appear in New York have 3 different names: the event is ok, the leader icon reads Schurze and the unit icon reads Shurz.

PhilThib

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:59 pm

This is on my check list for next patch. Thanks :king:

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”