Captain_Orso

Blocked by an Empty Corp

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Grant's Army Stack with Strength of nearly 3000 is blocked from moving from a region with 100% Union MC through a region with 100% CS MC on his way to Natchitoches.

I got this message in the Mail Box:

Selecting Grant's stack shows that the region between Harrison LA and Natchetoches TX is marked red:

There are 3 CS leaders without any troops in the region, one of which is John Bell Hood with Corp status, who had his last couple of units destroyed a couple of turns previous. The only other CS unit anywhere nearby is Standwatti with troops at just over 50 strength and far enough that I don't think they could have played a role in this.

Hobbes

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:03 pm

I've been posting about the red regions in the AJE beta forum. There are some very odd effects with this rule and others have also posted examples. Even worse in AJE is that towns with tiny garrisons can block the movement of legions for months. It would be interesting to see other examples of wierd blocking in any AGEOD game.

Cheers,
Chris

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Grant's Army Stack with Strength of nearly 3000 is blocked from moving from a region with 100% Union MC through a region with 100% CS MC on his way to Natchitoches.

I got this message in the Mail Box:

Selecting Grant's stack shows that the region between Harrison LA and Natchetoches TX is marked red:

There are 3 CS leaders without any troops in the region, one of which is John Bell Hood with Corp status, who had his last couple of units destroyed a couple of turns previous. The only other CS unit anywhere nearby is Standwatti with troops at just over 50 strength and far enough that I don't think they could have played a role in this.

Yes, sometimes I have also experienced this odd and annoying situation. I think it would be necessary to improve that aspect for AACW2.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 pm

It does happen, and it is most likely caused by your supply wagons. They tend to not allow movement to other regions (they are the easiest to block movement).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 am

I once had Grant with about 2 divisions blocked in Columbus KY in '61 two turns in a row by a stack of between 3 & 5 cavalry. Right when they were trying to move toward Henry the cavalry sprang in and stopped then in their tracks. Being that they were early war cavalry I decided to ignore them and just move on. The next turn I plotted Henry again with the cavalry starting in my region and of course the same thing happened, but this time the cavalry was on its way back to Humboldt, from where they had come.

I've never been able to find anything in the rules describing blocking movement (also happens if you try to cross a river against enough opposition) or in the forum and I though it had to do with the cavalry, maybe comparing cavalry forces. But if a supply unit can block movement, maybe the game is just counting horses :neener: . No, seriously :blink: .

But it's a real bug if an empty corp can block movement, or maybe the game thinks that long-faced Hood looks like a horse :nuts: ; or maybe it's just Grant :confused: . We all know how much he loved horses. Maybe every time some new ones come into view he just has to stop and admire them :dada: .

But seriously, if anybody can say anything about how blocking works it would be much appreciated.

Pocus

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 am

Generally the cause is that some hidden units are blocking you, have you looked at the other side (if you play alone)?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am

Hi Philip, that's exactly what I did --see my first post-- the third illustration is with the CS side loaded. The only CS "units" in the region are Forest(no troops), Floyd(no troops) and Hood(no troops) with corp commander status. Other than Grant's army stack nobody else is in the region.

Jim-NC

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

The problem is that supply wagons have such a low evasion ability (I'm not exactly sure what to call it). If you look at your side, the button that has a dot with 3 parenthesis on each side tells you about ZOC and evasion. If you have the supply wagons in your stack, you can't move, but if you take them out of the stack, the stack moves fine. I don't have the exact figures, but supply wagons raise the MC requirement for you to move out of an enemy ZOC by quite a bit. I don't know if this is intentional or accidental.

If an army of yours is ever surrounded needing to escape, but all paths are blocked, jettison your supply wagons, and your army can usually leave the territory.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Sorry I overlooked the fact you loaded both turns. In any case, supply wagon or not, leaders only should not be able to lock you, if you have MC in your region, they should project no ZOC. Send me the save to pocus@ageod.net please.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Will zip it off to you tonight. Do you have FreeArc?

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Pocus wrote:Sorry I overlooked the fact you loaded both turns. In any case, supply wagon or not, leaders only should not be able to lock you, if you have MC in your region, they should project no ZOC. Send me the save to pocus@ageod.net please.

No problem. You have mail :w00t:

Captain_Orso

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:29 am

BTW, have a look at the Tool-Tip of the red ((i)) icon when Grant or one of the CS generals is selected, especially in Z100.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”