Cordell
Sergeant

No losse in the Shipping lane

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 am

Since the arrival of the CCS Florida, CSA Fleet in shipping did not sunk anything in the shipping lane (from 200k+ dollars in the previous turns)
Play in PBEM 1.16QF3
[ATTACH]19880[/ATTACH]

Union fleets are still there. There are even fights
Attachments
Fabien vs Franck(17).rar
(162.19 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Captain_Orso

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Cordell,

your description is a bit vague. It is a very rare occurrence at all that you actually sink a ship in the Atlantic Shipping Box through actual combat.

If you are talking about the message that says "A Merchant Ship of the Union has been Sunk", that is a programmed event. Every odd numbered turn the Atlantic Shipping Box is checked for the number of Union units vs a d20 -- 20 sided die roll. If the number of units is greater than the d20 results, the event succeeds and the Union losses $5 and 1WSU. There are no other consequences, the Union does not actually lose a ship, and the CSA cannot directly influence the event. Is this what you are talking about?

Cordell
Sergeant

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm

I play if french so (i don't no how to spell them in english) But each Turn CSA fleet in the shipping lane are supposed to destroy a certain ammont of federal money (if there are Union Transport ship in the box), the message fire every turn till the Semmes take command of the CCS Florida occurs...
A powerfull CSA Fleet and the US transport were in the box , but after the arrival of the CSA Florida such message (something like CSA fleet sunk for X dollars and Xt of equipement) did not fire in the event log anymore. Is that more clear? :)

Actually few turn later i sent my fleet back in the harbourg, only remain the CSS Florida in the box (locked there) and the message fire again no idea why (and the css florida is not locked anymore)

Captain_Orso

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:43 am

I'm sorry, I can't find an event that works the way you are describing, that fires every turn.

Anybody else know of such an event?

Jim-NC

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:26 am

He appears to be talking about the normal every turn damage to union shipping. Each turn the CSA has ships in the shipping box (and union ships), there is a message saying "confederate ships have sunk $x and Y WS of shipping" or something simliar. It's the same type of message as when blockade runners are in the boxes (you get a message saying "our blockade runners have brought in $x and Y WS).

I have not opened his save, but it appears that the Florida was locked, and that the stack it was in may have been locked, and thus was ineligible to function properly (raid union shipping). Once the Florida was unlocked, the game started to sink union shipping again.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 pm

There are only 2 events that I could find that do in any way shape or form what was described:

<USA Events.sct>

Code: Select all

SelectFaction = $USA
SelectRegion = $Hampstead, TX
StartEvent = evt_nam_USA_SinkAlabama1862Penalty|10|0|NULL|NULL|$Hampstead, TX|NULL

Conditions
  MinDate = 1862/09/15
  MaxDate = 1863/01/01
  CountUnits = $Shipping Lanes;0;$USA;-1;<;5

Actions
  ChgVPCount = -3

EndEvent

Will fire every turn from 1862/09/15 until 1863/01/01, but only if the Union has less than 5 units of any type in the Shipping Box. They have however about 8 transports and 6 warships. I rather doubt that they just arrived.

<Various Events.sct>

Code: Select all

SelectFaction = $CSA
SelectRegion = $Atlantic Blockade
StartEvent = evt_nam_CSA_USMerchantSunk|999|1|NULL|NULL|$Atlantic Blockade|NULL

Conditions
  MinDate = 1861/07/01
  MaxDate = 1866/01/01
  TurnIndex = 1;3;5;7;9;11;13;15;17;19;21;23

SelectFaction = $USA
  CountUnits = $Shipping;0;$USA;-1;DICE;20
  Probability = 10

Actions
  DescEvent = evt_desc_CSA_USMerchantSunk

ChgEvtOccurs = evt_nam_USA_USMerchantSunk;MaxOccurs;1

EndEvent

Fires only on odd numbered turns as I have already described.

And for "200k+ dollars" to accumulate both of them would have to fire EVERY turn for more than 10 turns.

This is a wild goose chase. The contention is founded by neither facts nor conjecture.

Cordell
Sergeant

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Jim NC understood exactly what i wanted to explain... :thumbsup:
Sending some powerfull CSA frigates under Semmes in the Shipping lane is after all a good investment when it work properly :)

Captain_Orso

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 am

Hi Cordell, I believe I understand what you said also. I simply cannot find the events that would reconcile it. Barring that somebody shows me which event(s) is(are) producing the behavior that you explained I have no way of making any assessment of what might be causing a sudden change.

Since you are playing a PBEM game and have only sent the replay and turn files I assume that your opponent is hosting. If he would be so gracious to post the script reports from ..\ACW\Scripts\ I might be able to recognize something. The files are named ScriptReportnnnn.txt where 'nnnn' is the number of the turn number of the report. Turn numbering start in something like the year 1750 with turn number 0001, so the Late June 1862 is turn number 2700. Interesting would be the reports for 2701-2713.

If you could provide those, when I have time I'll have a look at them.

If your host is playing another scenario at the same time that covers the same time period it could be that the reports have been overwritten as the game only retains one report per turn regardless of which scenario is being played.

Cordell
Sergeant

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:07 pm

[ATTACH]19952[/ATTACH]
Sure here are the files my opponent sent
Hope you could clear that ;)
Attachments
Attachments_2012_09_23.zip
(758.39 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Jim-NC

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Captain_Orso,

He is not talking about an event. He is talking about the game engine function. If there are CSA ships in the union shipping lanes, and union ships, the game gives the message that a certain amount of shipping is lost (which translates to money or WS lost for the union). It's the same as the blockade box. Each turn there are CSA ships (of the correct type) in the blockade box, the CSA player gets money or WS (depending on needs). A message is generated each turn.

It maybe that the message is not getting generated, or the ships may in fact not be doing anything.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 am

:blink: It's been a long time since I've played the CS and I honestly don't remember the CS 'sinking' $ and WSU automatically simply because they had Raiders in the Shipping boxes, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I do know in the last game I played that I could see the difference in my shipping returns per turn between when the CS had Raiders in the Shipping Lanes and when they were back in harbor. So I guess that would make sense.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I see the same thing in my games (sometimes you sink something, sometimes you don't), it seems to be pretty random although more frequent in the first few turns of the game.

Just keep them raiders in the box and they will sink something eventually.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”