Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Stalemate??

Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi all!

In a recent game I've started Vs AI...

Is this normal? Is it a bug? :blink:

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Wed May 23, 2012 12:28 am

I've seen this happen a number of times. How the game can bend its head around that being called a stalemate I have no idea, but crushing a single militia regiment will not give you any NM or your leader a promotion anyway anymore.

It used to be that crushing such small garrisons would often give the attacking leader a shot at a promotion or enhanced defensive/offensive ratings. It was the best way to get your good leaders promoted quickly. This was changed a while back :fleb: . Okay, it was pretty gamey so I won't lament on it. Maybe the 'stalemate' report is an artifact of this change.

In the end, you've eliminated the enemy garrison and taken Manassas; you'd not have gotten anything else if the game had said that you won the battle, so pat yourself on the back once, enjoy and carry on.

Jim-NC

Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 am

It might have something to do with the fact that no one retreated (I mean troops can't retreat if they're dead).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Wed May 23, 2012 8:26 am

What a macabre thought, "yall caint bee-it me Yankee, 'cause I'mo bee-in day-ad bee-fur yall cuun ee-av-en wee-in".

Jim, you might be right about that. Writing code can be like walking blindfolded over a slatted rope-bridge with some of the board missing. You know best when you've stepped into space after there's nothing under your feet.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:I've seen this happen a number of times. How the game can bend its head around that being called a stalemate I have no idea, but crushing a single militia regiment will not give you any NM or your leader a promotion anyway anymore.

It used to be that crushing such small garrisons would often give the attacking leader a shot at a promotion or enhanced defensive/offensive ratings. It was the best way to get your good leaders promoted quickly. This was changed a while back :fleb: . Okay, it was pretty gamey so I won't lament on it. Maybe the 'stalemate' report is an artifact of this change.

In the end, you've eliminated the enemy garrison and taken Manassas; you'd not have gotten anything else if the game had said that you won the battle, so pat yourself on the back once, enjoy and carry on.

Well, I don't agree with you, at all.

I don't think it was gamey. If I have to take Manassas, I will choose the best moment to do it. It would be a suicide try to attack Manassas when Beauregard's Army is located there. Beauregard was in manassas for 3 turns and when he left the city, I took the chance to take it.

My intention was not to obtain benefits for my leader, but take Manassas.

Ah, and I don't need a pat on the back. When I uploaded this image, I just wanted to show the peculiar detail of the battle report. I didn't mean to sound conceited or presumptuous.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stauffenberg
General

If

Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Ethan wrote: When I uploaded this image, I just wanted to show the peculiar detail of the battle report. I didn't mean to sound conceited or presumptuous.

You don't. But I think Orso was just saying you take the good with the bad with the arcane combat results you will get. I am convinced there is a point of diminishing returns in attempting to ascertain precisely *why* each and every event happens the way it does. Let's call it the Inscrutability Factor, or IF.

The stalemate here would certainly seem to qualify as an IF event, and I've had far more baffling (and destructive) results in battle. If it seems to be IF, I am less inclined to look under the hood quite as much, but am rather content to move on knowing the other player has to contend with "IF-fy" situations too. ;)

Captain_Orso

Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Ethan wrote:Well, I don't agree with you, at all.

I don't think it was gamey. If I have to take Manassas, I will choose the best moment to do it. It would be a suicide try to attack Manassas when Beauregard's Army is located there. Beauregard was in manassas for 3 turns and when he left the city, I took the chance to take it.

My intention was not to obtain benefits for my leader, but take Manassas.

Ah, and I don't need a pat on the back. When I uploaded this image, I just wanted to show the peculiar detail of the battle report. I didn't mean to sound conceited or presumptuous.

LOL Sorry Ethan, I didn't mean to sound like I way assuming you were fishing for compliments.

I meant that it was gamey when you could almost be assured that if you assaulted a small town with a single regiment garrison and wiping out the defender used to get the commander of the attacking force a lot of experience-points and often times with Grant, Sherman and other high-seniority leaders make them promotable for what in my eyes was a very minor feat, especially if the defender was outnumbered 10 or more to 1. Knowing this and looking specifically for such opportunities, I found gamey, although way-back-when, when I was starting out learning the game, it was something I would do myself, given the opportunity.

My point is that the game has stopped looking at very minor victories -- regarding the number of troops and force disparity -- for giving out experience-points and making a leader promotable. Taking Manassas outside of the '61 Manassas event is just taking a small town. It would certainly be arguable that taking a depot intact would certainly be a notable event and worthy of some recognition, but I've never seen an indication nor heard of the game taking capturing a depot into account.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 pm

OK, it doesn't matter. It was a misunderstanding. I appreciate your clarification, Captain_Orso. :thumbsup:

And thanks to you both, Jim and Stauf, for your answers. ;)

Cheers!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”