xmas2
Corporal

To build a lot of vessels ...

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 am

In the game I can build 1 vessel in 30 days, in the history need about 1 year.

In the history a big Marine was as strategic decision, in the game is a tatic decision. In 1864 as confederate I was built 30 steamfregate, after the Union Navy colapse.

Captain_Orso

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi xmas2,

You haven't asked a question or made a suggestion, but you seam to be complaining about how quickly ships can be built.

Historically I know that the US Navy bought and chartered a lot of ships, but they were probably mostly used for transportation, scouting and as pickets, not really fighting ships (ships-of-the-line). Steam frigates and armored frigates on the other hand were specifically built as warships, although you might put armor and armament to some extent on just about any ship, but that would change greatly the sailing characteristics of such a ship; the armor anyway. To what extent the CSA bought and chartered ships I have no idea. The CS Navy had a totally different strategy than the US Navy. So having it take about a year to build steam and armored frigates probably would be more historical.

Yes, being able to order and build 30 steam frigates within a month or so is unhistorical. But having the resources as the CSA to do that as also. My experience is that once one side gains an extreme advantage over the other and strategies completely change because of this. Athena is at a loss on how to answer to this situation. As far as I can tell and from my readings in the forum, she's just not built for that and the scenarios are not geared for extreme situations.

It's been stated in the forum many times, if you've outgrown playing vs Athena, find a human opponent and find a new challenge.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:33 pm

CSA Ironclads take 4-6 turns to build without Naval Engineers. Not sure about Frigates. I'm not sure if that's fast or not, but I can't build any ship in 2 turns.

Captain_Orso

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:30 pm

In 1.16beta you can. Maybe it's a brain-fart on my part, but that's what I was assuming xmas2 was talking about.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 am

Yeah, I'm not really digging the new build rate in the beta... I haven't played it in awile so I wasn't going to comment on it.

Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 am

In combination with the longer delay in freshly built depots getting supplies, the quicker build of units has a kind of bad feel to me. Maybe it's just that I'm used to the previous time schedules.

I believe Gray stated that the Pocus's reason for the change is to bring ACW inline with the other games using the same engine, so I guess that there's little chance in having things reverted to the way they were.

Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:CSA Ironclads take 4-6 turns to build without Naval Engineers. Not sure about Frigates. I'm not sure if that's fast or not, but I can't build any ship in 2 turns.

Do naval engineers actually make a difference in build times? I often buy big fleets all at once. So either in the east or west there are some that are built in ports where there is a Naval Engineer and some where there is not. I have never noticed that ships built in St. Louis, Cairo, Baltimore, New York, Boston or Philadelphia build any quicker than in Lexington KY, Paducah, Chicago, Newark, Brooklyn or Pretsonburg. (Prestonburg? Who builds Ironclads in Pretsonburg? :wacko :)

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”