Gray_Lensman

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:40 pm

deleted

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Shall we suspend testing these till Pocus fixes them, or press on? I've not experienced a crash yet.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Gray_Lensman

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:04 pm

deleted

Aurelin
Colonel

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Cool. :thumbsup: I rather figured you did, so I tested your saved game and confirmed your crash issues. They are rather outstandingly nasty. Locking up the game (v1.14e) in particular was nasty since it will prove difficult for Pocus to find the cause of that problem. I went one step further and tested your saved game with the v1.14d game engine and it has a different game crash issue involving incorrect regions or something.

This basically leaves us with 2 dysfunctional game engines until Pocus can iron out the issues. Thanks for the feedback. It is most helpful to find such issues here in a beta patch then to have them turn up in an "official" patch.
:thumbsup:

I did notice that after I moved the gunboat and was able to continue, that ASJ seemed stuck where he is. I have forces on both sides of the river, and neither one gets into a fight with him.

Pocus

Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 pm

The bug has been fixed and a new executable will soon be released. Thanks.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

gchristie
Brigadier General

error message v 1.14e

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Playing as Union, ver 1.14e. When proceeding from the late June 1861 to the early July 1861 turn I got the following error message:

TGroup.AddGroup Exception caught: 1002597 Baldwin's Bde. Violation d'acces a l'adresse 006E9828 dem le module "AACW.exe". Lecture de l'adresse. 00000008

The "OK" box was available so I clicked OK and the game proceeded to the next turn. Is this of consequence?

Attached is the !Main Log.txt file for starters. I can send saved game files if necessary.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

richfed

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:55 pm

And, the Merge Units animated icon again does not work. Is it just me that experiences this???
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 pm

I have been able to merge militia units so far, but have only played till early july 1861. Waiting on Pocus' revised .exe before continuing.

Pocus

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Here is the fixed executable (1.14f), hopefully it will correct the crashes you got.
Attachments
AACW.rar
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 223 times

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray_Lensman

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 pm

deleted

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 pm

My grandkids (two delighful girls) and I watched ICE AGE 3. They asked me why I called the cute little squirrel "Pocus." I told them he was named after a friend I know in France. t

richfed

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:08 am

gchristie wrote:I have been able to merge militia units so far, but have only played till early july 1861. Waiting on Pocus' revised .exe before continuing.

Oh, units merge alright, it's just that the animated cursor does not work. It is simply a visual aid that I like.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Aurelin
Colonel

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Using 1.14f. I can't choose either the draft or loyalty button.

EDIT: Just reloaded, and the problem went away. Maybe a glitch on my end?
Attachments
1861 April Campaign0.rar
(369.37 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

squarian
Brigadier General

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Squished bugs apart, does anyone have an observation on the AI in these updates - is it performing better?

richfed

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:08 pm

It is definitely back to pre-1.14 form. So far, nothing too extraordinary but a big improvement over what it was with the bug.

Pocus - so far, so good with the crashes --- or lack of!!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Athena

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 am

Pocus: I tried the new AI in the Shiloh scenario: Rebs recaptured Donelson, Nashville and forced Grant to resign. t

Pocus

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks, but it seems I missed to update you with some data files which will help also the AI, so even if there is an improvement compared to plain 1.14, they are not all there. Keep tuned...

Captain_Orso

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:29 pm

I've been testing the 1.14f patch with QuickFix6 in my actual game (April '61 Campaign w/KY) and I've noticed a couple of issues.

1) I had a stack of three militia regiments using the 'Move By River' order on the Missouri River moving towards Ft Leavenworth. The move took more than one turn and in the second turn the were in the Kansas Confluent (one river section east of Ft Leavenworth) with one day left to reach their destination. I decided to split them up by extending the moves of two of the regiments to different destinations by dragging their unit icons from the stack display box at the bottom of the screen. This is something I've often done with patch level 1.14c.

The first unit had no problem splitting off, but the the other two units left in the stack refused to accept a new destination. I tried annulling their move altogether by selecting the stack and pressing <Del> until the stack was no longer moving and then plotting two completely new moves out of the stack, but to no avail.

After pressing the save game button I quit the game and restarted and then it worked, both remaining units could be plotted to different locations.

2) I have a stack of one Atlantic Blockade Squadron and two Transport units plotted to move from the Atlantic Blockade Box to New York City. I did this yesterday. Today after starting the game I noticed that the move is going first to the Saint Lawrence River region in the Lower Canada Box at day 19 of the move, then to Massachusetts Bay in the New England Box at day 24, then to Long Island Sound at day 25, arriving in New York City at day 26. What an odd tour :wacko: .

If I annul the move by selecting the stack and pressing <Del> until the stack is no longer no longer has a move plotted and then drag and drop them onto New York City again, the game chooses the same path :bonk: .

If I annul the move again and choose any other location in North America it first plots the Saint Lawrence River as it's first point of arrival. The only exception is if I plot the Atlantic Shipping Box. There it plots a direct course with arrival on day 43! :neener:

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:47 am

Captain_Orso wrote:I've been testing the 1.14f patch with QuickFix6 in my actual game (April '61 Campaign w/KY) and I've noticed a couple of issues.

Does msg #20 imply that we're not supposed to use QuickFix 6 with 1.14d/e/f?

Captain_Orso

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi Chaplain, do you take absolution? :blink: (why isn't there a smiley with me slapping my forehead until its red :bonk :)

Back to the drawing board. :wacko:

Actually I didn't apply QF6 to 1.14d. I installed the original setup.exe, patch 1.14, 1.14c and then QF6.

Edit: But doing parallel test installs of what I did and 1.14d show that there are some differences. They are:

AACW.exe
ACW\Scripts\ScriptPostParse.txt
ACW\Scripts\ScriptPreParse.txt
ACW\Scripts\ScriptReport.txt
ACW\Scripts\Script.ini (doesn't appear in my method)

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 am

I've done dumber things. Just read some of my old posts. double :bonk:

bigus
General

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:13 am

Captain_Orso wrote:I've been testing the 1.14f patch with QuickFix6 in my actual game (April '61 Campaign w/KY) and I've noticed a couple of issues.

1) I had a stack of three militia regiments using the 'Move By River' order on the Missouri River moving towards Ft Leavenworth. The move took more than one turn and in the second turn the were in the Kansas Confluent (one river section east of Ft Leavenworth) with one day left to reach their destination. I decided to split them up by extending the moves of two of the regiments to different destinations by dragging their unit icons from the stack display box at the bottom of the screen. This is something I've often done with patch level 1.14c.

I think you might have spotted a bug. I noticed that when making an amphibious assault the navel units are tied to the ground units. (or ground units to navel units) I have included a save from a test.

If you don't plot a move with the navel units you can move but will retreat to them if engaged in combat. Even if your three regions away you will magically end up on board the ships!!!!

[ATTACH]9351[/ATTACH]

Edit:.....this bug was with 1.14f (no quickfixes).
1.14d (rollback) ......Amphibious movement is WAD.
Looks like it first showed up in 1.14e.
Attachments
1862 Shiloh1.zip
(649.31 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

Pocus

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:24 pm

About the problem you speak about Bigus, I believe it is fixed as I encountered some weird things too while checking Naval AI and fixed some things related to the 'link' between naval units and disembarking land units.

Captain_Orso

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:40 pm

I did a complete new reinstall to a new directory, installed 1.14d over that and then 1.14f (.exe only) over that. Then copied my Saves directory into the new install and backed up a couple of turns and to where I went on the mad shopping spree. There I undid all the replacement requests and started them over one at a time. And lookie-lookie, half way through all the request I ran out of CCs and WS :wacko: . So the bad install somehow messed up the tallying of costs. Now it looks like it's WAD.

The fleet moving to NYC through the Saint Lawrence River and Massachusetts Bay also corrected itself to plotting a straight course.

As we say in the business, 'you've hardly done everything the right way and it works'. :thumbsup:

Edit: oops, I'm getting my freds mixed up. The shopping spree was from this thread: New Units Not Being Built

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Amphibious Assaults in 1.14f

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:26 pm

[A repeat of an observation wrongly posted elsewhere.] :bonk:

Playing USA against Athena in 1.14f, I can't get amphibious assaults to execute. Have tried four such assaults, and the results are always the same: (1) the troops stay on the ship, (2) the cohesion level of the troops goes down by about 50%, and (3) there is no battle report, no shots fired.

I've always been able to get amphibious assaults to execute under previous versions, so I'm familiar with the correct procedure. (Whether those assaults succeed or not is another story!)

If nobody else has this issue, I won't bother posting a saved game. Will chalk it up to a corrupt install.

Captain_Orso

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:19 pm

I started a game with a corrupt install and then discovered my installation error. After doing a correct install (setup.exe, 1.14d patch, 1.14f patch) I continued the game.

During the continuation I performed and invasion by loading a Sherman's division and and extra leader onto river transports in Frankfort, KY and transporting them to the Cape Girardeau river region of the Mississippi (between Cairo, IL and Charleston, MO.).

On the next turn I drag-n-dropped them on to the Scott, MO. region (where Charleston is located) and sent a second division with an extra leader into the same region with normal movement orders. Sherman's division was in the normal defensive posture, and there was some CSA unit(s) inside Charleston with about 80 strength.

After disembarking Sherman's division I gave the transports orders to return to Frankfort. At the same time I sent a second transport from Frankfort to Cape Girardeau with a supply train loaded.

On the nest turn the transports that had carried Sherman's division was still positioned in Cape Girardeau with it's move plotted to Frankfort.

The second transport from Frankfort with the supply train had arrived and I was able to unload it into Scott, MO as normal. I also gave it orders to return to Frankfort.

Now, as the CSA units in Charleston had retreated south, I tried to tried to order Sherman's divison stack (with the second general) down to Reelfoot, MO (New Madrid), but the game refused to accept the order. It simply did nothing and the tool-tips in Sherman's stack and the units themselves showed no information stating anything unusual. The second division stack in Scott did however accept orders. But because I wanted to move Sherman into Reelfoot I played around trying to get Sherman's division to accept an order to move. I eventually had combined both division stack to one, after which I could not divide them up again to their original stacks, nor give orders to any of the units in the new stack.

After that I decided to just continue with the game to see if the problem would solve itself in the next turn. It didn't. If fact now not only could I not give orders to the two division stack in Scott or any of it's constituent units, both river transports were still in the Cape Girardeau river region with their moves to Frankfort still plotted but not carried out.

But by now counter-attacks around Lexington forced me to start pulling units back to counter this and in a last ditch effort to do anything with Sherman's stack I combined the two transports in Cape Girardeua to one stack and dragged Sherman's stack onto it. And it worked. I was also now able to give this stack (the two river transports, Sherman's, the other division plus the two other generals) orders to move to another harbor, which it did in the next turn.

It appeared that the river transports were tied to the invading units and that the 'tie' just wouldn't break. I can't remember at the moment if I also loaded the two supply trains onto the transports along with the two divisions, but I don't think that I did, because I believe that would have overloaded the transports.

I didn't really want to write a report about this, because the game was started with a broken installation to begin with and I don't know if it therefore has any relevance to 1.14f really at all, but after the good Chaplain's report, I thought it might help a little.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:20 pm

All four of my problematic amphibious assaults involved ocean transports. Whether there's a tie-in to curious results regarding river transports is unknown to me.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”