caranorn

US regular forces in 1861

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:13 pm

I was wondering whether there would be any interest in correcting the US regular Army OOb for the April 1861 scenarios?

I was reminded of this by the current patch discussion. When AACW first came out I dug through the Official Records and found that the current scenario setup when it comes to US regulars is pure fantasy. At the time I prepared an excel sheet with the actual location and organisation of units in April 1861 and how I'd propose to reflect that in the game. I believe I also proposed two new unit models, namely regular army battalions (as many regular units were in isolated garrisons in multiple company strengths, also regulars tended to be deployed in battalions not regiments)...

I'm not sure whether I still have my research at hand, I'm pretty sure I sent a copy to one of the Phillippes at the time. I'm no good at working the database files (minor changes to individual files yes, but obviously that's not the way to go), so I couldn't make these changes myself...

In short, if there is interest, my files if still with the Phillippes are available and I could do some further (or new) research in the OR. But I can't add them to the game myself. Note that these changes could make a significant difference for the war in the west...
Marc aka Caran...

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:31 pm

I think the search for historical accuracy is great, but taking this strategic level game down to the battalion level is silly.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

caranorn

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Only problem is that US regular units usualy did not operate by regiment. I'd also consider a regular battalion to have roughly the same combat capacity as a volunteer regiment. Finally, units in AACW usually move stacked and can also be formed into divisions. I believe sharpshooter units even currently represent companies...
Marc aka Caran...

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 pm

deleted

caranorn

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:47 pm

I believe you both misunderstood me. I'm refering to the 20 or so Union regular Infantry and Cavalry regiments, few of which ever operated as regiments...
Marc aka Caran...

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:04 pm

deleted

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”