enf91
AGEod Veteran

Northern Objective cities

Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Currently, NYC and Philly are worth 2 or 3 NM points upon their capture. Let's be realistic here. If the South had managed to capture either of those cities, especially New York, Northern support for the war would have evaporated. So here's my pitch: give the Northern player a MUCH bigger penalty for losing major cities. Just for realism. I think that even if the North had taken Richmond, if a Confederate army were in Philadelphia or New York, the North would have acceded to Southern demands.

AndrewKurtz

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 pm

enf91 wrote:Currently, NYC and Philly are worth 2 or 3 NM points upon their capture. Let's be realistic here. If the South had managed to capture either of those cities, especially New York, Northern support for the war would have evaporated. So here's my pitch: give the Northern player a MUCH bigger penalty for losing major cities. Just for realism. I think that even if the North had taken Richmond, if a Confederate army were in Philadelphia or New York, the North would have acceded to Southern demands.

+1

rattler01
Captain

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:18 pm

+2

And while I'm not a expert on union troops at the time. I do believe that they were forced to allocate much more troops in the rear.

I know the game has its historical limits (like when the 3 year enlistments would end and whole regiments would disband :grr: , but there should be a very large penalty for losing major cities like Chicago, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis (1 idea would be a huge FI increase) :dada: . After all nothing I've seen throws a wrench in th unions eastern offencive like tens of thousends of Brits joining in. :turc:

There must be a reason each union army size didnt get up to 200k+ size like we can in 65'. This could also help with the obvious Union overpowerment when they have to garrison not only their conquests, but also numerous key cities far in the rear. :p oke: Thoughts?

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Yankees are a stubborn bunch...Even with with capture of a large city I'm sure they would continue to fight on if they could.

I like the FI idea, however, IMO the FI was not very well thought out. They British and American command systems get meshed so that British Generals are irate about American promotions etc.

The worse thing about FI is that the British divisions count towards the rebel division cap. Any of your promotable generals in charge of divisions will need to stay in charge that division lest you want to lose it for good!

I can definately see a big boost to FI, historically speaking, if the south had captured a large Federal city. However, I wouldn't want to see it put into the game until the underthought and undertested FI system is tweaked a wee bit.

Unfortunately, we probably won't see any major rework done if\when we see an AACW2.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

rattler01
Captain

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:36 pm

Forgive me if this sounds dumb. Only a fan not a programer, but would it be possible to increase the CSA divsion cap if FI fired off?

And thanks for heads up. The FI never happens for me unless im the USA :cursing:

Colonel Dreux
Major

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:28 am

W.Barksdale wrote:Yankees are a stubborn bunch...Even with with capture of a large city I'm sure they would continue to fight on if they could.

I like the FI idea, however, IMO the FI was not very well thought out. They British and American command systems get meshed so that British Generals are irate about American promotions etc.

The worse thing about FI is that the British divisions count towards the rebel division cap. Any of your promotable generals in charge of divisions will need to stay in charge that division lest you want to lose it for good!

I can definately see a big boost to FI, historically speaking, if the south had captured a large Federal city. However, I wouldn't want to see it put into the game until the underthought and undertested FI system is tweaked a wee bit.

Unfortunately, we probably won't see any major rework done if\when we see an AACW2.

I think if the Confederates won a major battle in Pennsylvania or Maryland, and then took Philadelphia or Baltimore, the war would have been over. So I agree with the poster. Many Northerners were squishy about the war and there were calls from the likes of warmongers like Horace Greeley to sue for peace after First Manassas.

However, if the British had invaded and took a city, I think you're right. The North would have been galvanized to fight truly foreign invaders, and they would have fought hard after that.
Oh my God, lay me down!

slimey.rock
Major

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:16 am

I pretty much agree with all the above posters. If the South had pushed up as far as New York or maybe even Philidelphia, they could have bartered those conqueured territories off to the North in exchange for peace.

I also agree that any significan invasion from the South could have turned the war into "The war of Southern aggresion" instead of vice versa. Pushing the Northerners to fight that much harder.

The point is, though, that capturing major cities like Cincinatti, Chicago, Detroit; while significant economically, have no effect on morale.

rattler01
Captain

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:40 am

But a more negative effect for losing these cities would force a union player to divert more resources to their defense, especially if it risks triggering a FI or maybe having a timer to retake the city or face a large NM lose.

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:45 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:45 am

slimey.rock wrote:I pretty much agree with all the above posters. If the South had pushed up as far as New York or maybe even Philidelphia, they could have bartered those conqueured territories off to the North in exchange for peace.

I also agree that any significan invasion from the South could have turned the war into "The war of Southern aggresion" instead of vice versa. Pushing the Northerners to fight that much harder.

The point is, though, that capturing major cities like Cincinatti, Chicago, Detroit; while significant economically, have no effect on morale.

The reality is that the South really couldn't have ever taken any deep lying Northern cities and held them. Lee's objective was always about forcing a decisive battle in the North and winning it to persuade the Northern populace to give up.

Lee was frightened about his supply lines and being cut off from Virginia while running around up North. His personal belief was that the AoNV could not maintain itself for long north of Virginia. The CSA just didn't have the logistical infrastructure to pull off a true invasion and occupation.

And in the West the South just didn't have enough troops to even penetrate into the North.

For game play purposes I like that the South can get into the North and do some damage though.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:01 am

deleted

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”